Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Exhaust Install Questions

Hi all,

I'm in the process of retrofitting a Dansk early (non-cat) muffler to my 87 930. I've got a couple of questions for those of you who have gone this route before:

1) When I removed the original system, 3 of 4 of the studs came out of the turbo rather than the nuts letting go. The issue with this is that the turbo is now clocked a couple of degrees relative to the support bracket and it looks like the studs are going to be hard to get back in without risking cross-threading. What's the preferred solution here? Open up the holes in the support bracket a bit? I would just try to loosen it, but two of the bolts connecting it to the cross-member go straight into the block.

2) When I test fitted the exhaust, it looks like the flange is rotated about 10 degrees from where it needs to be, and the angle is off a few degrees as well. It appears to me that the flange needs to be cut off, bolted up and re-welded to the muffler. Is this a common issue with this particular exhaust? All aftermarket exhausts?

Thanks for your help,
Bob

Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx930 View Post
Hi all,

I'm in the process of retrofitting a Dansk early (non-cat) muffler to my 87 930. I've got a couple of questions for those of you who have gone this route before:

1) When I removed the original system, 3 of 4 of the studs came out of the turbo rather than the nuts letting go. The issue with this is that the turbo is now clocked a couple of degrees relative to the support bracket and it looks like the studs are going to be hard to get back in without risking cross-threading. What's the preferred solution here? Open up the holes in the support bracket a bit? I would just try to loosen it, but two of the bolts connecting it to the cross-member go straight into the block.Bob
You could try and loosen the bracket, and loosen the turbo from the exhaust to get a little more play. These areas get so hot you probably have a little bit of warpage. During my turbo upgrade I started down the path of opening up the holes on the bracket, after I broke a drill bit and burned another, I went back and tried to line everything up- a few bloody knuckles and cuss words later I got it all to fit. I had my whole exhaust off, so as I putting it back together I left everything loose, and it gave me just enough play to get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx930 View Post
2) When I test fitted the exhaust, it looks like the flange is rotated about 10 degrees from where it needs to be, and the angle is off a few degrees as well. It appears to me that the flange needs to be cut off, bolted up and re-welded to the muffler. Is this a common issue with this particular exhaust? All aftermarket exhausts?

Thanks for your help,
Bob
Haven't heard of this being a problem here with any of the common exhausts here, but I don't think I've read about anyone installing an aftermarket dansk here... I've got a rarlyl8 exhaust and it fits perfectly.

Pics of the specific issues might help...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

+1 loosen bracket and retry. Then loosen turbo.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The turbo must be bolted back up to the bracket as it was before or you may have alignment issues with the muffler.
It is common for the J-pipe to warp with time and heat. The bracket or the turbo or both will have to be loosened so you can get the new studs in and all bolted back to the same position is was previously.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the replies guys. Here are some pictures:

First the muffler I'm trying to install. I bought this 3rd hand, so I don't know its history, but it looks as if somebody along the way may have had a go at installing it and re-welded the flange. That would explain the angles being a little off.

Here's a picture of the turbo. The rotation relative to the bracket is small, but enough to worry about.

It looks like the easiest thing to do here would be just to remove the bracket completely, chase the threads in the turbo to get rid of the rust, install new studs, and re-install the bracket. My only concern is not having the motor shift when I remove the bracket since atleast the bottom two bolts attache the engine to the cradle. Do I just support he engine with the jack while removing the bracket?

The last question is regarding the muffler bracket. The orginal 87 bracket attaches to the compressor mount using its own bolt holes as shown.

I bought the back-dated bracket for 76-77 turbos from our host and it attaches to the other two bolts on the AC bracket. Does anyone know if this bracket is intended to work on top of the AC bracket? from the offset in the bracket, I don't think it can go behind and that would likely throw off the pulley alignment anyway.

I bought this for two reasons. First because it was cheap, and second because it was very close to a stock backdate, and at the time I wanted to keep the car as close to stock as possible. Now I'm kind of wishing I had gone with one of Brian's systems. I probably would have had it on the car by now... Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again for your help,
Bob
Old 02-20-2011, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Lots of progress today. I Grew a pair and supported the engine with a jack while I tool out the three bolts that hold the turbo bracket. With the bracket off I was able to chase the threads in the turbo and verify new studs were going to go in OK. Then I loosened the turbo to J-pipe connection so that I could wiggle things enough to get the studs through the original holes in the bracket.

With the 4 new studs in place and the bracket all tightened up, I went after the muffler. I ground off that ugly weld on the flange and then carefully separated the flange from the muffler inlet pump with a cutoff wheel. Now I could install the flange on the turbo and position the muffler separate from the flange to get everything lined up right.

Now the only thing left is to take it down the road to get the flange welded back onto the muffler and put the bumper back on. Whew!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Some times the easiest project turns into a major PITA. Glad you got it together.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You might want to put the bumper on before you weld up the muffler flange. Those dual out pipes need to be centered properly with the cutout as it is tight.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Dang! Sorry man, I had no Idea that muffler was screwed up, I was wishing I still had it to get my car running till I could afford one of brians. As it sits now, I'll probably use a zork till I'm richer. I didn't mean to screw you up.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

No worries. Just had to cut the flange off and have a friend weld it together once I had it positioned. The worst part was just getting over my hesitance to take apart the stuff that needed to be removed in order to get the turbo studs out. It's all together now and it is a significant performance improvement over having the cat on there. I'm sure Brian's systems flow better yet, but now I feel like I have the full pre-1986 300 HP at least.

Bob
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Anything is better than the old cat/muffler system. The difference in power between aftermarket mufflers is generally not that much (mine gains 12-15WHP over stock). The most noteworth change is the quicker revs, performance sound and a real change in driving experience. The car goes from domestic to muscle!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
pdx back before i started going nuts with bigger turbo, engine rebuild, bigger i/c, and now efi, i had the same dansk muffler, huge back pressure problem, sorry but that thing stinks. i had a stock muffler that i gutted, and i still had the stock look, a deeper growl and much less back pressure. just my 2

Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: