Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Central locking

Hi,

Am having a problem w/ my central locking system .It seems that I cant lock the car when pushing the red central lock button in the console. What I do is manually lock the doors using the knobs located on both door panel(red button illuminates). When I try to unlock using the red button it does not work likewise. I just unlock the doors manually from the driver side door knobs and it automatically unlocks both doors. When I lock and unlock the car from the outside using the keys there's no problem. Is my problem localized to the red switch or is it the relay located in passenger side near the front hood strut?

Thanks in advance,

tdh888
Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Just to make sure, the operation is not like most cars (on mine anyway, but I think that it is working properly)
Mine will lock and unlock from the button if the driver door is closed and engine running.
If the engine is not running, I can lock the doors but cannot unlock them afterwards with the red button.
If the driver door is opened, I cannot lock with the button...
Just so you have more information of what others are doing...
What is yours doing exactly?
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 02-20-2011, 08:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby466 View Post
Just to make sure, the operation is not like most cars (on mine anyway, but I think that it is working properly)
Mine will lock and unlock from the button if the driver door is closed and engine running.
If the engine is not running, I can lock the doors but cannot unlock them afterwards with the red button.
If the driver door is opened, I cannot lock with the button...
Just so you have more information of what others are doing...
What is yours doing exactly?
Hi Roby,

Thanks for the reply. My car wont unlock and lock if I push the red button when the engine is running.I can only lock the doors by doing this manually via turning the door lock knob in both door panels. But if I will unlock ,turning the knob at the drivers side automatically unlock's both driver and passenger door no matter if the motor is running or not.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It does the same thing as mine from the door knobs... Maybe the switch part of the central locking buton is bad... Can you gain access to see if it makes contact when you push on it? Maybe the wire came off the switch side but the indication light side is still connected.
Not sure though
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rob,

Sounds like the locking control relay is bad or an intermittent door handle micro switch.

The smart thing to do is keep the door lock solenoids and strip out the control relay and micro switches and put a key-less entry controller in. Very inexpensive and works great.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, K27S, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've got a keyless entry I like on the car and it locks the doors once the car is started. what you have to watch out for is if you reach in, start the car and close the door, it will lock you out. BTDT. I might remove that feature (or I need to hide/carry a spare key).
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: