Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   catah can (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/593460-catah-can.html)

MyTurbo3.6 02-25-2011 09:33 PM

Here's the one I had made for mine...-16an from oil breather, -8an for turbo sumps, 2 extra -6an for future use and -8an drain to easily empty contents as needed

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1298701709.jpg


http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1298701718.jpg


http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1298701727.jpg

philip j 03-12-2011 04:47 PM

peterson fluids can
 
Did my homework, and figured this catch can had a good design with the baffles. Thanks Kraftday for the link. Lots of nice custom cans out there guys, but the nice weather will be here soon, and still have a few more projects on the list to get done. cheers Philiphttp://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1299980751.jpg

spence88mph 03-13-2011 12:06 AM

Has anyone noticed crank case fumes are reduced or eliminated with a catch can? I read that you should stuff them with steel wool, it helps filter and separate the oil and air? My car just uses a k&n filter on the end of the hose and it really stinks out the cabin, I just can't see how a catch can will really help with that!?

Ronnie's.930 03-13-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence88mph (Post 5898417)
Has anyone noticed crank case fumes are reduced or eliminated with a catch can? I read that you should stuff them with steel wool, it helps filter and separate the oil and air? My car just uses a k&n filter on the end of the hose and it really stinks out the cabin, I just can't see how a catch can will really help with that!?

I've wondered about this as well . . . if the catch can or "filter on hose" vents into the engine bay, wouldn't the engine fan draw the fumes in and then blow them through the cabin heating sysyem (as well as all over the engine itself)? Some past posters have said this is a problem and others have said it is not . . . go figure.

Kraftday 03-13-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip j (Post 5897941)
Did my homework, and figured this catch can had a good design with the baffles. Thanks Kraftday for the link. Lots of nice custom cans out there guys, but the nice weather will be here soon, and still have a few more projects on the list to get done. cheers Philiphttp://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1299980751.jpg

Glad you checked it out. Peterson is a great quality american suppler for the tanks. The Peterson can above works great too but since it is bit taller with that filter element on the top, it is not as flexible installation. With every oil service, the petcock valve on the bottom is easy access though. The German Cohline company supplies the OE cloth braided hose in the proper metric size.

If you wanted a super trick OE setup, I'd check these out..
http://www.mann-hummel.com/group/upload/doc/HBCHACUaaBi.pdf

Cheers

Kraftday 03-13-2011 04:03 PM

MyTurbo3.6
Really nice and flexible set up there. Love those BMRS lines!

Compulsive 03-13-2011 06:05 PM

I was lead to believe that the original 930 AOS is a very good unit.

Have many 930 users found it to be inadequate?

My issue with all of these except the MANN unit is that they vent to atmosphere = nasty oil and fuel smells http://forums.pelicanparts.com/suppo...oilet_claw.gif[img]

philip j 03-15-2011 04:24 PM

fumes
 
Anyone else have this problem? If thats the case, the can could be vented down through the tin to open air. I can't see there being any more fumes than what would burn off your engine with the small leaks most of these cars have. Philip

kojo911 07-06-2011 04:11 PM

MyTurbo3.6,

Looks like you have two turbos. If your running a stockish 993tt set up, do you take the lines off the turbo sump breather and run them to your catch can? The stock 993tt is pretty complicated, I'd like to eliminate the turbo sump breather to intake/throttle body and just vent them with the catch can I'm already using for the crank case.

Thanks.

E-man930 07-06-2011 04:25 PM

I picked up my carbon one for cheap of eGhey. (internal baffles / drain / seperate vent chamber) Lots of nice race bits on there if you take your time.

David 07-06-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-man930 (Post 6120651)
I picked up my carbon one for cheap of eGhey. (internal baffles / drain / seperate vent chamber) Lots of nice race bits on there if you take your time.

Pics? :D

E-man930 07-06-2011 06:07 PM

Pics are in my "putting my 930 back together" thread

MyTurbo3.6 07-06-2011 06:41 PM

Yes, I vent from the factory 993TT sump tanks to the catch can shown above.


Quote:

Originally Posted by kojo911 (Post 6120623)
MyTurbo3.6,

Looks like you have two turbos. If your running a stockish 993tt set up, do you take the lines off the turbo sump breather and run them to your catch can? The stock 993tt is pretty complicated, I'd like to eliminate the turbo sump breather to intake/throttle body and just vent them with the catch can I'm already using for the crank case.

Thanks.


krasuskyp 07-07-2011 05:05 AM

Thanks for posting up all the options, links etc.

I'm tiring of my filtered vent line misting the upper / right corner of my motor with oil - getting old, esp as I've got a pretty damn clean engine bay otherwise.

1/4" of inlet ID loss aside, that Moroso one @ Jegs looks like it'll do the trick - $80's certainly better than mid $200's for that Peterson unit... yikes.

Regarding fumes - I get an occassional whiff here / there, nothing bothersome. Notice it's worst when sitting w/ the windows closed for a few weeks, but even then it's not so overt to be annoying.

So how often are yous boys finding you have to empty them thar things anyway??? Curious to set expectation, measure comparitively...

JFairman 07-07-2011 06:16 AM

Your '87 came with a black plastic catch can mounted behind the oil tank and it has a hose on the bottom that drains back into the oil tank below the engine tin.
It origonally vents blowby gases back into the aircleaner.

Venting those gasses into the engine bay through a little k&n air filter is a bad idea because if you use heat in cool weather all the hot air that comes into the cabin came from the engine fan and the engine fan is sucking in the blowby gasses from the k&n vent in the engine bay along with air.
Blowby fumes are like exhaust gas, definately not healthy and stinks.

You can run a hose from the breather tank through the hole in the negine tin for the air pump hose below it and let it vent to air a few inches below.

kojo911 07-07-2011 07:25 AM

My3.6,

Just so I'm clear, your going directly from the sump breathers to the catch can. Not "t"ing off w/ the throttle body. That is no vacuum in the sump breather lines. Sorry for the redundant question, thanks for your patients.

Ken

krasuskyp 07-07-2011 10:42 AM

Thanks Jim - it's my oil tank breather vents to the filter which is what weeps. My OE can / vent is still as originally fit.

E-man930 07-07-2011 05:11 PM

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6430/img6301p.jpg


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website


DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.