Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rajay turbocharger

I own a 1980 911 SC Targa with just over 130,000 KM. The first owner installed a Rajay turbocharger some 25 years ago. I'm trying to get more information on this unit but my searches have come up empty. Does anybody have any experience with Rajay turbochargers? What sort of maintenance does it need? It appears to have a wastegate installed but no intercooler or boost guage.

1980 911 SC Targa
2006 997 C4S Coupe

Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Well you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, but ya doesn't have ta call me Ray-Jay. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Your application almost demands an intercooler.
For Rayjay info, try Dave at Proformance:

Proformance - VW Turbo Porsche Racing Engines

I had a Rayjay on a 914 2.0. It was fun, but nobody had any insight on the system. Might be best to remove the turbo and return to stock or seek out a more modern turbo. Rayjay turbos are difficult to find parts for as most of the non-aircraft spare parts have dried up. The only real source is from aircraft part suppliers = $$$$$$$$$.

BTW, used Rayjay turbos in good shape are worth good $$, as the Turbo Corvair and drag bike guys are always looking for them.

Waaaay too many previous Porsches (25+) and VW's (50+) to list
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
R.I.P.

personally I wouldn't touch it. RayJay turbos are very good and known for OEM reliablility. It requires no more maintenance other than oil changes. When you do an oil change make sure to crank the engine over till you see oil pressure on the gauge before starting, this will insure the turbo has oil at start-up
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you very much 914turbo and drmatera for your info! When I performed the Carrera tensioner upgrade a few months ago, I had to remove the turbo assembly in order to gain access to the cam chain housing covers. I tried to remove the exhaust components from the Rajay turbocharger but could not, for the life of me, loosen the bolts without breaking them off (I broke one). So, as a result of that, I decided to just bolt it back on, as is. Upon close inspection, however, the turbine/compressor assembly seemed to spin freely with minimal side-to-side play and there was no visible damage or leaks anywhere. So, for now, I'll just leave it be. What do you guys recommended for loosening bolts, in the event I want to take things apart down the road. I tried multiple spraying/soaking with liquidwrench, wd40, etc....all to no avail!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2porscheguy View Post
Thank you very much 914turbo and drmatera for your info! When I performed the Carrera tensioner upgrade a few months ago, I had to remove the turbo assembly in order to gain access to the cam chain housing covers. I tried to remove the exhaust components from the Rajay turbocharger but could not, for the life of me, loosen the bolts without breaking them off (I broke one). So, as a result of that, I decided to just bolt it back on, as is. Upon close inspection, however, the turbine/compressor assembly seemed to spin freely with minimal side-to-side play and there was no visible damage or leaks anywhere. So, for now, I'll just leave it be. What do you guys recommended for loosening bolts, in the event I want to take things apart down the road. I tried multiple spraying/soaking with liquidwrench, wd40, etc....all to no avail!
Torch 'em till they glow.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: