Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
EFI guys, where did you mount your ECU?

Moving forward on my project, but I'm stuck on deciding where to mount my ECU. There doesn't appear to be a good path to route the wire bundle in the cabin and I'm hesitant to mount it where the permatune box once resided.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ecu

Mine is under the drivers seat. It's euro one by ole buhl.
Kevin
Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I mounted mine to the custom box I had built. I have done the G-50/50 conversion, and since you have to get into the tunnel a bit, I had a custom Aluminum box made and also incorporates an oil cooler. I dont have a picture, but I spent all that money on a EFI system, the last thing I would do is mount it in the engine compartment.

Drill a small hole with a hole saw. Then get a firewall grommet, and run the wiring harness thru it. If you did it low enough on the firewall, you would be able to cover it with carpet, and no one would even know its there. Then mount the ECU under the passenger seat....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
OK, so in the cabin it is, but where is the best place to drill and enter? I figure under the drivers seat or mounted to the vertical part below the drivers side rear seat. The VEMS ecu is pretty small.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Mine was mounted in the smugglers box w/external fan for more cooling
1986 944 Turbo
Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I ran the EFI harness under the car (above the transmission) and into the interior through a hole (about 1" dia. -- made with a chassis punch) in the rear seat footwell area, dead center between the seats. The hole was just above the access plate that covers the shift linkage connection to the transmission. The ECU was mounted to thin plywood (along with various fuses, relays, and terminal strips) and located under the passenger seat. Below are some early pictures taken during the test fitting of this setup. Note that the hole in the car later received a rubber grommet to protect the harness, and the ECU mounting board was made neater, painted black, and labeled, but I don't have picutures that are readily available showing its final form.

Harness enters though a hole in body just above shift linkage access cover:

Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Under the passenger's seat where the original lambda unit was.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

shoud be able to throw away the k jetronic box then replace it with the new ecu box
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 03-21-2011, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
shoud be able to throw away the k jetronic box then replace it with the new ecu box
don't throw it away, sell it to one of the people that still want to think CIS needs it to work... or maybe someday emission controls will tighten up and we may need them to pass while using CIS.

and regarding the wiring there is already a big hole with a grommet in the corner about a foot and a half to the right of where the guy drilled one above the shift coupler in his car.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

LOL ok i consider selling something on e bay the equivelent of tossing it out. It no longer belongs to you, doesnt take up space in the garage and you rarely get anything close to the actual worth lol. I wasnt planning on actually tossing it in the trash.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
lots of good info here, thanks. the hole to right of the one that was drilled, is thet where the current lambda ecu wiring is? Does it enter the car below the rear drivers side seat?

Last edited by fletcher0780; 03-22-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Mine is behind the floorboard

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 03-22-2011, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
and regarding the wiring there is already a big hole with a grommet in the corner about a foot and a half to the right of where the guy drilled one above the shift coupler in his car.
Found the hole It's like Porsche said hmmm, lets give these guys a perfect spot to run the harness into the cabin when they ditch this ancient injection system and switch to EFI.

I assume the factory EFI 911's use it to route the harness to their DME, it is in the perfect spot to mount the ecu under the drivers seat.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I put mine where the driver's side rear seat bottom would be. The seat back covers it when it's folded down.
'74 911 options delete no sunroof. lowered, swaybars, tie bar, braided brake lines, corner balanced, "s" gauges, 993tt seats, Momo wheel and knob, 993 mirrors, blacked out window trim, H4's, short gearing, S pistons, stand alone EFI, other stuff.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Mine is under the drivers seat. There is an existing wiring harness hole, rear left passenger seat, over left shoulder, about mid chest.

https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC
Old 04-30-2011, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: