Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Blown 3.2's: Oil Catch Can?

How are you guys venting your oil tank?

Have you plumbed it into an Oil Catch Can of some sort?

Some Catch Cans have a breather on top. Are these any good?

Where did you mount your Catch Can?

How many breather hoses are you venting into your catch can?

This looks OK, and has an oil level indicator too:

Last edited by 911TT33; 04-08-2011 at 10:55 PM..
Old 04-08-2011, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I used a Canton catch can. Initially I vented it into the engine compartment but I have since routed the vent under the car because the blow-by gasses were getting sucked into the heater and stinking up the interior.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

catah can
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

update

After installing my catch can setup, and a few drives, it really has to be vented outside. Any engine fumes entering the cab are not needed. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 04-09-2011, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

Are you only venting the one port from the oil tank neck to the catch can?

Any other engine case hoses need to be vented to the catch can, or is that the only one?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
hello, ill get a vid up soon, but i just installed a catch can that i made with a filter on top and man, that things smokes/steams like a chimney. i mean really, a lot more than i though it would. there is an easily visible trail os steam/ smoke coming out. is this normal?
thanks
scott
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
i think its mostly steam, because i am running a clear hose to the catch can/ vent and i can see tons of water vapor building up/ forming, but is does have a car motor like smell, not sure what i would say it smells like exactly, but it smells like something

also, no smoke out of the exhaust or anything, i can check the plugs, but i think theyre fine. basically just wondering, how much is normal?

thanks

i think this is a honda or something like that, but this video description says he has cracked rings, which worries me. my smoke/ steam amount is comparable to this, maybe a little less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDyDwufc1xc&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by scott.k; 10-19-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

yep, it will do that, especially if you have worn rings. I like sjf911s solution, I'll go that way and try to get it under and to the back of the car.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
yep, it will do that, especially if you have worn rings. I like sjf911s solution, I'll go that way and try to get it under and to the back of the car.
ok, thanks. its actually not quite as bad as the car in that video, i think i might have overreacted a bit.
heres a video of it, but its just kind of like a steam (and not much of it), so the camera doesnt see it very well. it take a little while for it to warm up before it starts putting out the steam

MVI_4175.AVI - YouTube

im assuming that on an ideal engine there will be nothing visible coming out of this filter?
thanks
scott

also, "bad rings", im not planning a rebuild soon, should i consider one. i dont have any smoke out of the exhaust, and i havent really seen any other indicators

Last edited by scott.k; 10-19-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjf911 View Post
I used a Canton catch can. Initially I vented it into the engine compartment but I have since routed the vent under the car because the blow-by gasses were getting sucked into the heater and stinking up the interior.
Any shots of your intercooler? by the way i didn't mean to hijack the thread but i will be building one soon and would like to get as much info as i can before i start. Yours looked like it's pretty close to what i was planning.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
Any shots of your intercooler? by the way i didn't mean to hijack the thread but i will be building one soon and would like to get as much info as i can before i start. Yours looked like it's pretty close to what i was planning.
This is from before I reinstalled the AC.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

whats it look like now that the ac is back in? I am planning on keeping my AC I live in miami.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

OK. please pardon my ignorance, but why is this can necessary, and should I add one to my 3.0 SC that I turbocharged?
Thanks
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ditto any pics of the smaller (before) intercooler? Mine looks very similar.
Quote:

Quote de sjf911

Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Old intercooler:

Relocated primary AC condenser (993 type) to left rear wheel well to accommodate intercooler:

Old 10-20-2011, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Old 10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks for the pics! I'm working on that exact setup with same small IC. How efficient was it in your opinion? Hoping to have mine installed next week once new silicone couplers arrive. Have already removed rear condenser in favor of the fender version. great minds think alike aparently! cheers!
Quote:
Old intercooler:

Relocated primary AC condenser (993 type) to left rear wheel well to accommodate intercooler:

Old 10-20-2011, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliyde View Post
Awesome, thanks for the pics! I'm working on that exact setup with same small IC. How efficient was it in your opinion? Hoping to have mine installed next week once new silicone couplers arrive. Have already removed rear condenser in favor of the fender version. great minds think alike aparently! cheers!
It seemed to work pretty well but I never logged pre and post temps or pressures. The full bay does create more of a heat-soak issue on hot restarts.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Question about the filtered hose in one of the pictures. I ask because I have this hose unfiltered runnimg across firewall behind my engine.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: