Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 3.38 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
E-85 sippin drunk

^^^^^^ Now, THAT is funny!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Had the same issue when I installed my new turbo, tighten it nice and snug..easy peasy...oil leak no more. Hope your enjoying that bad boy. My wife just left to Grand Rapids on business, wish I could have went with her..next time. Lincoln are you near there?
I grew up near Grand Rapids.... I think Linc is over on the East side of the State....

Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-3584RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1181 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
^^^^^^ Now, THAT is funny!!!!!

Quote de speednme1

Had the same issue when I installed my new turbo, tighten it nice and snug..easy peasy...oil leak no more. Hope your enjoying that bad boy. My wife just left to Grand Rapids on business, wish I could have went with her..next time. Lincoln are you near there?

I grew up near Grand Rapids.... I think Linc is over on the East side of the State....
Ah i see...
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1182 (permalink)

Garage
Yep I am about 2.5 hours from Grand Rapids.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1183 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
The car is great, even more raw and viceral than I remember. I am still amazed at how many 'conversations" are started when I pull up in that thing anywhere. I get the cool car, and thumbs up everywhere, I was invited to a track day free of charge by some fellas in an SUV, a guy in a new ZR1 was admiring it in the parking lot of CVS last night and he stated that the 930 was still the car by which he measured all others. This car gets crazy respect, incredible, I hit an exit ramp at speed the other day and an M3 yielded to me without any fuss, it was a clover and he no doubt had the grip advantage and I was not willing to push my car or risk a wreck and yet he just moved over and gave a big thumbs up as I went by.
+1. My girlfriend knows the car is cool but that got reinforced the other day sitting at a stop light. The guy in the car next to us said, "that's still the coolest car of all time!"

SCHNELE, glad to hear she's up and running... finally!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1184 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
+1. My girlfriend knows the car is cool but that got reinforced the other day sitting at a stop light. The guy in the car next to us said, "that's still the coolest car of all time!"

SCHNELE, glad to hear she's up and running... finally!
Clearly you're not driving it with her like you did with me
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1185 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hey Lincoln- It's been 3 months or so- how about a long term report? Is a car with this much power livable, or would you dial it down the next time etc. I saw a post about negotiating the cage getting old but that is an easy fix.
My 930, like all of them really, draws a crowd even amongst much more expensive metal. They're all business and folks know it.

Quote:
The car is great, even more raw and viceral than I remember. I am still amazed at how many 'conversations" are started when I pull up in that thing anywhere. I get the cool car, and thumbs up everywhere, I was invited to a track day free of charge by some fellas in an SUV, a guy in a new ZR1 was admiring it in the parking lot of CVS last night and he stated that the 930 was still the car by which he measured all others. This car gets crazy respect, incredible, I hit an exit ramp at speed the other day and an M3 yielded to me without any fuss, it was a clover and he no doubt had the grip advantage and I was not willing to push my car or risk a wreck and yet he just moved over and gave a big thumbs up as I went by.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1186 (permalink)

Registered

Ditto on the update
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1187 (permalink)

Garage
I have video will post later.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1188 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
Linc, thought i'd just mention another issue to watch out for. A mate here in the UK is using the M600 Motec ECU, and although we all know Motec are basically the best in the business, there is an issue that is raising it's head. Apparently the rev limiter function can cause engine damage, it has already caused him to rebuild his engine due to it breaking a rocker, and causing bottom end damage. I'm also told, as he has been doing a lot of research to find out the causes, that a lot of race teams have been having engine failure whilst using the pit lane rev limit function, causing the crank to fail.
I know it sounds extreme, but if you do some digging you'll see for yourself. You may never go near your rev limit, but make sure when the car is mapped, that however the rev limiter is set, it is done the safe way. I don't know enough to go into detail about it, but maybe someone on here can chime in. Motec are burying their heads apparently........ Just make sure yours is right, i'd hate to see you lunch a fresh engine for something so trivial
You can configure the rpm limiter in Motec in a few ways, from soft to hard cut. There shouldn't be any problems if done right?
Jyrki
Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1189 (permalink)
Mr. C

Garage
Well no video yet, so I'll post this one.

It's probably has one of the best motion picture soundtracks. I wish it was in stereo.

Six = Sex
Old 09-01-2013, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1190 (permalink)

Garage
Have the video on go pro I need time to post.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1191 (permalink)

Garage
Ok I realize I still haven't posted video. I had to sleep on it before I made this post, but the 930 is sold and going to Germany. I bought a Continental GT Speed and I will take delivery of it on Saturday, I will start another thread if it is ok I the turbo section since this car is a turbo with 600bhp from the factory it should qualify, lest you guys banish me to six speed.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1192 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

After all that sorry to hear
Old 12-12-2013, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1193 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok I realize I still haven't posted video. I had to sleep on it before I made this post, but the 930 is sold and going to Germany. I bought a Continental GT Speed and I will take delivery of it on Saturday, I will start another thread if it is ok I the turbo section since this car is a turbo with 600bhp from the factory it should qualify, lest you guys banish me to six speed.
Glad you were able to finish your project and move on my friend

Nice replacement! My wifie wanted a Bentley for her next car, but I bought her a BMW x6m with 2 turbos and 555 hp instead, so we will put off buying a Bentley for now but would love to hear your impressions of driving it
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1194 (permalink)

Garage
At the end of the day I am too large for the car and I literally felt panic every time it didn't run as it should. I recently had a spark plug wire chafe and was arcing, not a good situation and could only be detected with the car running, it was repaired but the thought of having to go through any more long shop stays and huge invoices are hopefully a thing of the past for me.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1195 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, Since VW also owns Porsche we are all cousins now.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1196 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I for one think you've earned a spot here with the rest of us crazys.... Besides now that you've been there, done that (several times) any advice, lectures, bashing would be welcome! Kudos on moving on with a good spirit, I know we've probably only seen the calm after the storm, but it's been admirable the way you've conducted yourself after much frustration. Been seeing a whole bunch of whiners on this (not in the turbo forums) and another board lately, they should take a lesson!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 12-12-2013, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1197 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
After all that sorry to hear
The only regret is that I did not have Chris build my car to begin with or that I restrained myself and left it alone altogether. I am really excited for my new car and I got decent money for the 930. it was sold to a former Porsche engineer who now owns a supplier company, it will be in excellent hands.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1198 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Congrats, Linc... sounded like that was coming for awhile now. Guess it's bittersweet.

ContiGT, stupendous choice! Very cool, congrats. Um, PICS or... VOTE TO BAN!!! Geesh, guys sells his Porsche for a Bentley and suddenly he's above the rules???

8-)

Def love to hear your impressions of it as well.

But alas... man... I HEAR YA on the "spooked to death every time you drive it" factor. I verymuch experience the verysame with mine!

Granted, on an entirely different level as mine's just a regular car comparatively - however - it's all relative / proportionate... me, I've NOT the resources to fund any sort of rebuild should things go - um - 'south', so I freak out at every niggle, real or perceived. I've found myself putting less miles on it lately, b/c more miles just mean closer to $$$ rebuild time. Sad. (OK, I'm only @ 60k but still)

And 'that' was a huuuuge factor when I'd sold it back in 2011. Buying it back in 2013? Argh! I'm a genius / dolt, simultaneous!!! Maybe you'll buy yours back some day heh heh.

Funny, we both sold our 930s for biturbo uberrocketships... I found mine to be "too much car" (mostly in size / weight, 24sparkplugs, tires every 5k, etc.) after 1.5yrs / 25k and voila I'm back - weird. Nothhhhhing like dusting - well - everything on the road tho muwhahahaaa. Enjoy that, it's a hoot!

Anywho..., you've earned lifetime status here with all we've been through and shared together here, even before your saga / plight.

Don't be a stranger good sir... I always enjoy your maniacal stories / talez, etc.

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1199 (permalink)

Garage
Mr. Hyde

Here is the new BEAST.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1200 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: