Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
J. It will come out better than ever on the other side. I am taking my time figuring out what's up, and what route to take. Learning a lot along the way.

What's up with you. It's been awfully quiet. I get the feeling you are busy...
Two new businesses (d-zug.us / carolinaphysicianweightloss.com) and an awesome 2 year old son that i just cant seem to spend enough time with... (oh, and trying get an RSR replica and Gabe's car finished for Porsche Parade on the side). Doesn't leave much time for the boards.

Yes, going through stuff like this is what make u a better Porsche owner... u KNOW ur Porsche in a way like no other, and that guys that write checks for the new stuff never will.

Hey, if u can make it to Porsche Parade, i have a surprise waiting for ya. Hint: Go to the d-zug website and u will get an idea of what it is. We just got our newest 'old' product back online, and they look FANTASTIC. If u dont make it to PP, i will send u one postal.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com

Last edited by juicersr; 07-03-2011 at 12:26 PM..
Old 07-03-2011, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
I would love to come to Savannah. In fact it is one of the places we want to see while we are here. We have some friends that are from that area. But, the timing once again is outstanding. My family is going to DK for about 2.5 month in august, so I am not sure leaving them for PP would feel right, but maybe a family trip to Savannah is coming up sooner than I thought...

What, no sneak peek of the RSR project?

I know only too well how it is with the kids. There are days, where i could swear I have plenty of time to go into the garage, but then somehow. The kids managed to take it all.

Sounds really good about D-Zug.

Weight loss. The webpage looks good, but I see no Porsche on the beach -please fix

I think I may have to write out a check on this one. I do not have tools or time to do this myself. I want to be able to drive this car as much as possible while I am here in the States.
The sooner I get this done, I can move on to the Carrare 3.0 project.

I have started the search of a good engine builder. I am still debating whether to go EFI. If I do it'll prob. something like Drmatera, MS.

I kind of put myself back on track on this thread:
I have ordered a rebuilt distributor from RarlyL8. Thank you Brian. Really appreciate the help.
This will be one step in my quest for getting this car on the road.
I do however have really bad COMP test still.
I am considering buying tools to be able to perform leak down testing. Are the DIY tools worth anything, or should I find a shop to help me. THe test itself does not seem overly complicated.

Thanks

PS: Justin, I still have something waiting for Thunder boy. Directly imported from the land of the Vikings
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
I managed to get a little work done today.

I decided to dig in a little further on the exhaust side.

The good thing is all the nuts and bolts were very easy to remove. It had all been soaking in PB Blaster for a couple of weeks.

I took of the Heat exchangers (HE) and the air injection system.

I am not too happy about it. When I removed the LH HE oils came pouring out

The way I see it is, either it is coming from a blown turbo or it is coming from the valves on some of the #1-3 CYL.

I have attached photos of all the components. The pictures shows:
The LH and RH HE.
The Exhaust ports 1-6, in order.
The air injectors laid in CYL order, and #1 air injector which is bad, and may have caused further damage.

to be continued...
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
continued...

to be cont...
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage

I am not too happy with how it all looks. The no.1 air injector looks damaged wonder if it happened do to extreme exhaust temps.

The car did not burn noticably or smoke prior to this.

Maybe the Turbo is gone now as well. I'll dig into that later.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-04-2011, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
I have recieved a VERY nice distributor from Brian, RarlyL8. Thanks!!!

I guess it is really bad when you find yourself thrilled just by sitting and looking at a part like I did when I got it out of the nicely packaged box. I can now also see the difference between my old unit and a rebuild unit, my old one is crap.

I am affraid since ordering the part I have discovered more bad things on my engine. However this will still come in handy later on.

I am still debating (with myself - takes time ) how to solve this...
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 07-09-2011 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-09-2011, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Jesper,

Again, it's not the end of the world yet !!!!! The only thing you really know at this point is you have a bad distributor and oil leaks. On the smog s--- just pull the air pump and get all that crap off and plug the air injector lines.

All that oil can be coming from a hundred different places so buy some engine cleaner and spray the s---- out of the underside of the engine and hose it off. With the way it is now there is no way to tell where the oil is coming from.

Put your new distributor in and start her up. Once you know if it will run or not
you'll know a lot more. Get it running, let it idle, and get out your light and find out where the oil leaks are.

What you see, hear,and investigate through this process will tell you where to go next.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
Cole,

Nope, not the end of the world - at all. As I said to Juicersr above, no matter how many twists and bends this road has got. It will take me to some where fun. Once it is all done I will forget the sweating and bruised knuckles - and just drive

I am working this weekend, and will probably not have time to work on the car for the next two weeks
Once I am back, I'll get right to it.

Thanks for the support.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-10-2011, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
Had a chance to log a couple of hours in the garage today.

Besides cleaning the engine. I checked the valves. Only the #3 was a little "loose" i tightened it to specs. The rest was good. It looked nice overall. I had someone help me crank it over whole I inspected the camshaft. Camshaft and rockers seemed fine.
I have installed the valve cover with new gasket and nuts.

Next Will be removing and inspecting the turbocharger, since I found All the oil in the exhaust. Turbo nuts and bolts are now soaking in pb blaster.
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 07-23-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Old 07-23-2011, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Once again I was able to do a little work today.

I have now checked the rh side cams, rockers and valves etc. It all looks nice and I can find nothing apparently wrong. Only the number five exhaust valve was too tight. I readjusted it, and I believe all valves are now within specs.
I like the fact that I cam now perform my own valve adjustments. I know it is not tested yet, but i think it is ok.

I have cleaned the engine fairly good now. Next will be removed the turbo. It is still soaking in pb blaster.

I have a question regarding valves:
Is it a correct assumption that carbon that is stuck between the valve and its seat only can cause a valve to be too loose, more than 0.004?

Thanks
www.stauningwhisky.dk

Last edited by jsveb; 07-25-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: clarifying poor writing :)
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
I am going to install plugs in the air injector holes. I remember reading about them having tendencies to back out. Some have used Locktite to lock the threads. I think it was JFairman that wrote it, but I simply cannot remember in which thread.
Torque values would be greatly appreciated as well.

My question is what kind of Locktite, blue or red ( that's what we call it back home) don't remember the numbers. ???
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Jesper,

Sounds like your coming along well and your learning a lot. Keep Wayne's rebuild book handy as it is a wealth of information and it will keep you on the right track.

You want to use red Loctite on the plugs as the blue loosens with heat and the plugs will back out. As far as torque specs are concerned you will find them in the book.

As far as all they oil is concerned you have to understand any leaks get blown all over while driving and from the fan blowing back over the motor. Check all the oil lines and fittings around the the engine. Check around the trans including looking in the clutch inspection hole. Then start looking at the normal culprits. The rocker covers will dry out and shrink from sitting, not running, warming, and expanding. Check around the top and bottom of the oil return tubes as they have O ring seals top and bottom and they will also dry out from heat and lack of running. Look at any areas in in the front that might leak and blow back, like chain covers. tensioner lines, etc.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Cole

How is your car coming along?

Red Locktite it is.

About the oil leaks. I am not too concerned about oil seeping out in various places. I have checked all the head studs they all look good. The rest is just normal, and a lot less than on my Carrera 3.0

What do worry me is the fact that when I removed the j-pipe on the exhaust. Oil came pouring out of it - not good.
How it got in there I don't know. The turbo may be shot due to the extreme heat because of way retarded timing and maybe by ingesting a part of the air injector from the number one cyl. - or what?
Before the happened the engine hardly burned any oil at all. Or smoke for that matter.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-26-2011, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Jesper,

Things are going well on the Sled. I'm doing a lot of fabricating, me and my bright ideas, and that kind of stuff goes slow because it seems your always waiting for bits and pieces to get here.

You might check out your scavenge system and see if your not evacuating the scavenge drip tank fast enough or it's backing up. There are several real good threads on the subject here.

Cole
Old 07-26-2011, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Jesper,
Red locktite will NOT work on the plugs in an application where they see more than 500 degrees of heat. You want to know how I remove any stud or nut that has been glued up with red locktight?
2 minutes with a map torch and the red stuff just melts and boils away. I can't beleive so many people on this board recommend it when the manufacturer specifically states it is not for high heat applications... Please, please order the right locking agent so you won't have to go messing around with the plugs in the future.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Oh - and glad to see some progress on your 930!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Time for the daily report:

I have now checked the turbo as well.

Initially I cleaned the heat exchangers (HE) just because they were off the car. Boy I wish my money would allow me to not put them back on the car, but get a set of RarlyL8 headers instead- I don't need heat until winter time

I have mounted the valve covers, upper and lower, with new gaskets, nuts etc.

As said, I inspected the turbo itself after removing it completely. I was truly affraid it had suffered from ingesting parts from the #1 air injector.
The turbo looked perfect (well, really good) There was no play, as in nothing more than I wold expect from a journal bearing turbo - just a little but nice and tight.
I gues the air injector was installed in the state it is now.
I have pictures of the turbo so you can tell me what you think, but my CAM wont upload to the COMP today.

I also checked on the scavaging/drip tank. There was only a bit of oil in the tank. I guess this means the scavange pump does its job - or what?

I cleaned the J-pipe with brake cleaner. Just to make sure it was clean and nothing in there would destroy the turbo. I then discovered that I have a hole in the J-pipe - Hmmm

Luckily I got another one, I think is just the same, but maybe I'll just weld this one up and sell the other to help pay for future upgrades...

The mystery remains about oil in the J-pipe. I'll do some more reading up on svavange pump issues as per Cole's recommendations.

I have installed the "new" distributor form RarlyL8, but need to remove it again to fit a new "green wire" which I will order form our host after writing this. Once I had tried it a couple of times it was not to hard to set the static timing (correct term??) I just pulled it up enough to feel when I could jump a tooth, then inserted it again.

finally,
EMAN930, Where do I buy this (Resbond 907 Red Thread Locking )????I have searched the "innernet" but found nothing but industrial stuff, nothing retail.

That's it for now. Hopefully I'll get a couple of hours again tomorrow.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

You can get it from 034...

034 MOTORSPORT

I ordered the "manly fluid kit" or something to that effect - come with aerospace antiseze / cutting fluid / thread dope / threadlock... They sell it seperately too - check out thier site - lots of nick-knacks that work on any go fast euro turbo car. Hope this helps - E-man out!

Last edited by E-man930; 07-26-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
EMAN930, Good copy, it has been ordered - Thank you.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Jesper and E man,

They must have made Loctite better in 1988 when I remover the air injectors and installed the plugs. I used Loctite and in 23 years there has not been an issue.
I pulled the cam boxes and heads last winter to install new headstuds and the plugs were still there, no signs of any seeping, and they wouldn't budge. Guess I just got Lucky.

Cole
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: