Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Possibly - they spec the current stuff good till 450F but I found it caves in closer to 500F. Eitherway - buy the Resbond and you won't have to worry. Plus you can use it on anything you don't want to come apart subject to high heat. It dries quick so make sure you crank those plugs in there!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Jesper and E man,

They must have made Loctite better in 1988 when I remover the air injectors and installed the plugs. I used Loctite and in 23 years there has not been an issue.
I pulled the cam boxes and heads last winter to install new headstuds and the plugs were still there, no signs of any seeping, and they wouldn't budge. Guess I just got Lucky.

Cole
Cole, I thought you of all knew that they don't make anything like they used to...
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Jesper,

Very true, but, I also have an upside for you. I have Bladder Cancer and instead of putting a plug in my abdomen with a bag to drain into Mayo Clinic cut 16 inches out of my large intestine and built me a new Bladder. 23 years ago I would be sloshing when I walked.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
It's amazing what they can do.
I believe in a not too distant future cancer will no longer longer be considered life threatening. Maybe about the same time we will no longer be able to drive our turbo due to emission regs.
pros and cons - I guess.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Jesper, as far as plugs for the air injectors, I had the same issue - my engine had some cap screws threaded in and one blew out on the track. I sourced some brass plugs - tapered. I am not sure where I got them but pretty sure I found them via Pelican. You dont need any loctite. Just screw them up tight. I presume brass expands faster than aluminium. They have not budged.
Alan
914 brake caliper plugs.
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)

Last edited by Alan L; 07-27-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
Alan, I have bought the plugs from pelican. I think they are originally for the 914, but these were sold for the 930 as air injector plugs.
They do come with a brass washer.

Thanks
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Garage
pictures of the Turbo charger

Hi

As I promissed earlier, I took some pictures of the turbocharger when I inspected it.
I know it is not much, but most of you guys have seen a lot more of these than I have. I think it looks pretty good, but give me your feedback:

Exhaust

Intake
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
Small Update

I have it all buttoned up. Sure looks nice all clean - well cleaner.

There is a refurbished waste gate ( Cole )

I cranked the car without the fuel pump relays. Just to make sure i had oil pressure before starting.

Put in the relays and gave it a try - nothing.

I looked under the car and I could see oil is coming out of the turbo, dripping down on the j pipe - arrgh. it seems it is coming from the oil inlet on the turbo???

I pulled the plug on the plunger, to try and make the fuel pumps run and insure that the engine actually gets fuel.

I tried again, just to see if could fire up. It gave a few puffs. I guess only from one cylinder.

I decided to stop, since it seems something is not right and I don't have more time today. Gotta get up real early for work tomorrow.

Before closing for the night. I had another look underneath. . It is quite a bit of oil leaking out.

Any guess on what causes this?

I know it's not much to go from. I'll dig in further ASAP
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

I have no idea if there is a proper way to do up the oil lines, but all the unions, I try and do in a sequence so that there is no real stress on the joints. So that the mating surfaces can find the optimum way to bed in - if that makes any sense. If you get the mating surfaces in an angle they are not used to, often they wont seal, and cranking the crap out of them often makes it worse. If it looks like a union is leaking, try loosening the ones oround it and then tighten the suspect one first - while it is freer to move to align where it wants to go.
I just bolted my beats up too, one track day, and no leaks.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

I have no idea if there is a proper way to do up the oil lines, but all the unions, I try and do in a sequence so that there is no real stress on the joints. So that the mating surfaces can find the optimum way to bed in - if that makes any sense. If you get the mating surfaces in an angle they are not used to, often they wont seal, and cranking the crap out of them often makes it worse. If it looks like a union is leaking, try loosening the ones oround it and then tighten the suspect one first - while it is freer to move to align where it wants to go.
I just bolted my beast up too, one track day, and no leaks.
Alan
Old 08-15-2011, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Garage
The funny thing about the oiling to the turbo, is that the only thing I have removed on the inlet side is the hose clamp. But, I still have to do
More investigation before I know.
I use the same method of lining up everything when I assemble the exhaust.

I wonder though why it didn't fire up. maybe my distributor install. wasn't as great as I thought.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
It runs!!!!

Still loud

Alone with kids. Woke up baby. Baby crying

Yes I mean yes, it runs

To be continued
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 08-16-2011, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Sweet!
What caused it to not want to start?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Jesper:

Way to go man !!!!! Just passed your final for a first rate DIY Porsche wernch !!!!

Now go drive it like you stole it !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
iPhone reply so excuse me in advance
Alan, I am so embarrassed about the Oil leak. It turns out one of the fittings was loose. Really loose. Bad rookie

Why it wouldn't start
Well it had me scratching my head. If you go back and read some of my first posts on this thread you find that the timing at 1 tdc was way of. Well I think the dist was not
Installed according to factory procedures. The #1 wire was pointing towards the front of the car. The pictures I have seen it is more like pointing towards the RH rear. Which is where the notch is on the dist housing.
So offcourse me lining up the rotor pointing at the notch with #1 at tdc. Would make the #4 fire instead of #1
I checked pictures and looked at my carrera 3.0 engine. Decided to place them the same

The car fired right up. It needs adjusting of the timing, but it idles fine.

Please confirm on my 930/60 engine I just adjust timing at idle vac hose connected. +/-5*btdc?

Thanks guys

More later
Old 08-16-2011, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
Swwwweeeetttt Jes!!!! Almost always stoopid stuff, lol.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Garage
Just went for a drive. It drives nice.

I hope this is me closing this thread - knock on wood - boost on.

The conclusion, as many of you predicted, is ignition timing was way retarded.

I have installed a refurbished distributor from RarlyL8 - thanks Brian.

I have also installed a refurbished waste gate - thank you Cole.

All the smog equipment is gone.

I'll post pictures for the records later.

Next will be getting a leak down test done to determine how badly worn the engine is. I am a bit worried about the heads, exhaust and the piston rings.
I want to drive it though first - now.

Furthermore I am leaning towards a conclusion for my first " no start thread.":

Don't read it. It too long

I think it has been ignition all along. I did not find anything real conclusive the last time. Just did a lot of tests and changed out some parts. Including installing a blwur.

Final comment:

The afr were low 14s when cruising, and dropped to 9.7-9.9 when I floored it and boost came on it then immediately raised back up to about 10.3. This is approx values noted by tonight's co-driver.

Time to log some proper data with the lma-3

Thanks to all of you, whether it be posts to help from the other side of the world. To phone calls offering assistance whenever need should be.

Next thread will be me installing some bling. Along the lines of: If it don't run, chrome it.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 08-16-2011, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I find this inspiring as I am having similar issues and I'm at least as stupid (no offense). I'll check my ignition again as I placed the rotor at what I felt looked good from a picture. My problem might be diffrent though as I get no spark from the generator or green wire. Hmmmm
Glad yours runs.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: