Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Air Intake Upgrade for a 930

Well, I have had this car for just a few months and the inevitable hunger for more HP is occurring. It would appear that the first step is to replace the stock air intake with another, more streamlined set up. More HP, better for your car and less gas. What more could you ask for?

Next will be a new IC, A new wategate, I think mine has a leak, and probably some flavor of K-27 Turbo but that is down the road since my appetite is bigger than my budget!

So what is the consensus for a new Air Intake to replace the stock one?

Thanks,

Mark

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Brian B. (RarlyL8 on this forum) has tested various air filters/intakes on a dyno and has shown that there is no measurable performance benefit to any of them (including running without a filter/intake at all) -the only real benefit over OEM being freeing up engine bay space . . .
Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Fabspeed has a nice one. That is the one I went with.

Robert
Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Brian B. (RarlyL8 on this forum) has tested various air filters/intakes on a dyno and has shown that there is no measurable performance benefit to any of them (including running without a filter/intake at all) -the only real benefit over OEM being freeing up engine bay space . . .
+1 the stock air filter assembly flows more than adequate, if you have a stock muffler spend there first, it will be the easiest and probably most noticeable bang for your buck. Brian's muffler will wake her up.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have the duel RUF exhaust so I think that is a pretty good one. Of course it is 25 year old technology so I am sure that the new equipment is better.

Perhaps the IC is next then.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 05-14-2011, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same RUF early exhaust, the R4 I think... anyway, its just a euro muffler with another exit point welded to the other side. It only flows a little bit more than standard. Rarlyl8's stuff was literally night and day difference.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
It sounds like that is a good way to go then. I would probably do that when I do the turbo upgrade. That should also help in the low revs to help cure the turbo lag. I am also thinking the K-27S or K-27HFS with a large IC, probably the Bell unit from Rarly8, will be the way to go.

For now, it is drive and smile and pay the thing off. Then add the toys.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Some clean-up info and Pic's here:

Wur and K&N?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I wish the smaller air filter assemblies would allow a few more horses but unfortunately that is not the case. From what I have seen (on the dyno) there is no difference up to ~350WHP using an aftermarket filter of equal or larger surface area than stock vs stock vs no filter at all. Ultimately the air meter assembly intake itself becomes the restriction but that is beyond 400WHP. These observations were made while establishing baseline dyno graphs and were not done purposely to test air filters. I had no interest in that but only in eliminating any variables that might skew dyno data when testing my mufflers.
The true value in these filters is freeing up engine space. That alone is worth the effort if you like to fiddle and find yourself removing the mailbox often.
Yes real HP is gained when the charge air is cooled (intercooler), backpressure relieved (straight-thru free flowing muffler) and more air pushing through the system (bigger more efficient turbo and/or headers).
Old 05-14-2011, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
The HFS is not necessary, I believe the one you will want is the HF. I remember something about the HFS having a different diameter something or other that was intended for the 965, but I could be wrong.

I bought the full Rarelyl8 kit though. Headers, turbo, zork, WUR, and fuel head. And he recommended the HF.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes the K27HFS has a cold side inlet designed to fit the 965 down pipe. The K27HF is designed for the 930 down pipe. If you open up the down pipe on the 930 the K27HFS inlet can be utilized on the 930 and will give a quicker spool. We saw full boost at 2600rpm on a 400WHP 930 using that setup.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Brian, based on the description you have on your website of the K-27HFS, it seems like the ultimate for a street car to give earlier boost and keep it all the way through the revs. Is that a hard conversion of the down pipe? Mine has the pipe going straight down to the turbo from the IC with no elbows. Is that the long pipe configuration? I have read elsewhere on the forum that that is also desirable.

Thanks for all of your help,
Mark

Old 05-14-2011, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I added a Kokeln intercooler, new downpipe plumbing including the 965 pipe. A high flow 3ldz turbo and Brians exhaust. I am very happy with the results and boost comes on much earlier. I will say when you change to Brians exhaust the car is much louder than stock.

Edit: 1986 930, The down piping travels from the intake to the turbo. The up pipe is the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler.

Last edited by oilonly; 05-14-2011 at 06:31 PM..
Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
My street muffler body has a sport sound but I would not consider it loud, definitely louder than stock though. On boost it does hit 92+dB with waste gate dump pipe so cannot be used on the tracks with sound restrictions. The Hooligan is aggressive but still neighborhood friendly, the Outlaw is straight-pipe loud.
Yes there are several ways to allow the HFS (or K27S) inlet to be used on the 930. The 965 pipe can be fit, the 930 pipe can be modified, or the rubber sleeve that connects the 930 pipe to the turbo can be changed out for a step-up sleeve. In theory the most benefit would be from changing out the pipe but I have no data comparing these mods. The point is two-fold, to reduce any restriction in the pipe and to terminate with an ID that smoothly transitions into the conical inlet of the HFS (or K27S) cold air inlet.
One caveat if you change out the rubber sleeve; be certain that the end of the down pipe does not touch the inlet of the turbo. It should not if installed properly but if it does it may wear metal to metal.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: