Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Carrera Intake Fuel Line Update For My Efi Conversion

Ok Guys, while working on some of the details for my Efi Conversion, I though it would be a good idea to re-use the original hard lines and fuel rails originally equipped with the Carrera intake. On the other hand, I would like to replace all the rubber hose with high quality braided hose and fittings.

One of the reasons I want to re-use the rails and hard line is to retain the factory look as well as the function of how the hard line mounts to the manifold as well as how the injectors are held in the manifold and fuel rail. Also, from a cosmetic stand point, I like things to look like it came from the factory.

My Idea is to remove the factory metric globe seal fittings and braze on -an6 fittings in their place.

In order to save a few dollars on the fittings, I got -6 to oring boss adapters from my local hydraulic supply house for around $2.00 each.

My plan was to remove the threaded oring boss that I wasn't going to use, drill the hole to accept the factory 8mm hard line and then braze the fittings on.

First, I parted off the threads off I wasn't going to use.

of
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

and there it goes...................

After parting the threads off, the next step was to make a light facing cut on the adapter to true up the surface.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

After a quick and "dirty" facing.....

Old 06-08-2011, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

One part I forget to take pictures of was drilling the fitting to accept the 8mm hard line.

It took three times for me to braze the fitting on a piece of scrap hard line until I was satisfied that it looked almost like it was done at the factory. Each time I had to repeat the above process.

Here are the brazing results.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Now that I am satisfied with my results, I am ready to modify the factory line.

One major question I'm hoping someone here can help me with before I continue is; How much HP can the factory lines support?

The last thing I want to do is spend all this time and find out the lines are too small for my efi build!!!!!

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
R.I.P.

They will handle plenty of power. I would bet 600+
Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

E-85 sippin drunk

Awesome job!!!!! Thanks for posting. You just helped me with my build..... i owe you a beer... or two. I was told by a person in the know, that the factory lines will support atleaast mid 600 HP ... so u should be fine....

FWIW, I am using the factory hard lines, with 100LB injectors.....
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Great job mate, looks factory to me. Awesome!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

very impressive, great work.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Great job. I would love a set of those if you feel like getting some more practice.

Could this be repeated by someone that doesn't have a lathe?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Nice job, beats the hell out of wwhat I use to do!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I have been really trying to do these to the best of my ability. Not only for cosmetic reasons but also because they are fuel lines. I don't want to take any chances.

Another reason I am doing this is to minimize the amount of adapters as the more adapters you use the more places leaks can happen.

Also, thanks for the answer on the HP capability of the stock lines! I am really excited to be able to use the stock lines!

Turbobrat930, I'm really glad this helped you on your build as well. For the connections to the factory fuel rails I am going to use metric globe seal to -an hose ends from BAT. I'll be sure to post some more pics of the entire process.

In the near future, I am thinking about doing something similar for the hard oil lines in the rear passenger side fender. I'd like the ability to replace the factory rubber sections with quality braided hose and be able to replace the hose section if they ever leak.

Willtel, You can certainly to this at home without a lathe. All you really need is a precision hand milling machine (aka a FILE) a hack saw and a drill. Just remove the threads as close the the hex with the hack saw then file it smooth. After that, just drill out the hole to fit you tube. I can't remember what size drill bit I used as I was checking the diameters with a mic while I was searching for the right one. I think it was a letter size drill. I'll check in the shop tonight and let you know.

You will however need an O/A torch to properly braze the fittings on.

One thing I will do differently on the actual Carrera fuel line is, I will be back purging the lines with either nitrogen or argon to prevent any oxides from forming inside the lines while I am brazing them together.

More pics to come.......
Old 06-09-2011, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I had a little time tonight and I was able to braze on the -6an fitting to the inlet side tonight.

First, Here is a picture of said hose assembly that I am working with.

Here is where I cut the Crimp Collar from around the hose. Two lengthwise cuts and all that is left to do is pry off the collar.

Collar is off..

Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I then used a cut off disk to remove the barbed section of metal line as well as the stop collar on the hard line.

After some trial fits on my Carrera manifold, I decided not to part off the threads of the -an fitting. Instead I turned the threads off leaving sort of an extension that I would braze to the end of the fuel line.

I ended up using argon to purge the lines while brazing and was able to repeat my results I had last night.

Here is the finished -an fitting on the Carrera Line.

Last edited by nocarrier; 06-09-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarrier View Post
Willtel, You can certainly to this at home without a lathe. All you really need is a precision hand milling machine (aka a FILE) a hack saw and a drill. Just remove the threads as close the the hex with the hack saw then file it smooth. After that, just drill out the hole to fit you tube. I can't remember what size drill bit I used as I was checking the diameters with a mic while I was searching for the right one. I think it was a letter size drill. I'll check in the shop tonight and let you know.

You will however need an O/A torch to properly braze the fittings on.
Excellent news. I will defiantly blatantly steal this idea. I have a nice torch set I just need to get some bottles and gas for it. Is acetylene still hard to get?

I also just noticed that in your second pic the threaded portion of the adapter is in mid-air. Nice job!

Please update this when you get all the AN lines plumbed together.

Any idea on what hose and fitting type you will use? I used some of the Russell Pro-Classic series stuff on another project and it worked great. The fabric hose isn't very abrasive and the black and silver fittings IMO look much cleaner than the traditional blue and red.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I haven't picked which hose ends I am going to use yet but it I do know it they won't be red and blue. I am going to try and find something that matches my color scheme.

I am most likely going to use the Aeroquip Starlite hose or something similar. I really like the red tracer on the Starlite hose as it will coordinate with the red fan shroud. But we'll see how that works out.

I am glad I could help you with your EFI plumbing and please feel free to copy, steal, modify anything you see. If I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask.

I was able to finish up the hard line tonight and got all the ends brazed on.

The next step I am going to do is pressure test it with my air compressor and some water, bead blast it and then send it off for plating.

Here is a picture of how it fit on my Carrera manifold and a little teaser of my powder coating and plating.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

That is quite nice!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarrier View Post
One major question I'm hoping someone here can help me with before I continue is; How much HP can the factory lines support?

The last thing I want to do is spend all this time and find out the lines are too small for my efi build!!!!!
Done several engines making 600rwhp with stock Carrera fuel lines, or -6AN lines/fittings.

I've seen Holcombe (MODE) hold engines at 700hp on his engine dyno with the same fuel lines.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

That's awesome!

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Now i don't have to worry about the fuel lines restricting my HP....

If I could just get my budget to handle 600-700 hp!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Had a little time do to some more work and did the same exact process to the hard oil lines the connect the oil tank and engine to the thermostat.

Due to the size and mass of the -16an fittings it took quite a bit more heat to get the filler metal to flow.........

Old 07-08-2011, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: