Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Oil pump drive pin.

Upon tearing down my 3.0 turbo due to a couple of broken dilivars, I found the drive pin for the turbo scavenge pump to be pretty hammered up, as well as the two bolts that it contacts. Is this pin available? I did use the search function. I just found this tonight, so have not had a chance to make any calls.
I am sure I am not the first guy to see this. Maybe press the pin out, and flip it? it does not look structurally compromised, but there is noticeable wear.

1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fred,

The pin is a 5mm dowel pin I have several. You'll need to cut to length . Tap the old pin out, cut to length, and tap the new one in. Send me your address and I'll get one off to you.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
I'm a nit-picking SOB ... I wouldn't really have called them "dowel pins" ... that usually implies that they are solid pins.
These pins are roll pins. But just to confuse things even more, Porsche calls them "keys" in their manual. Go figure!!

Anyhow, I'm sure these little fkrs are the least of your problems, but this might help when Cole's pins turn up.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjam View Post
I'm a nit-picking SOB ... I wouldn't really have called them "dowel pins" ... that usually implies that they are solid pins.
These pins are roll pins. But just to confuse things even more, Porsche calls them "keys" in their manual. Go figure!!

Anyhow, I'm sure these little fkrs are the least of your problems, but this might help when Cole's pins turn up.

no he is talking about the pin that goes through the pump shaft. not the ones on the end of the cam. American cars have a smog pump drive between the end of the cam and the scavenge pump and it's threaded with bolts. That pin is a dowel pin.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 06-10-2011, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Cole,Bill and Ken. Cole, I sent you a PM. Appreciate your help. Before this forum, this little issue would have been 10 phone calls, and an hour on the phone.
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 06-10-2011, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you ever remove the scavenger pump be sure to check the pin. They do wear quite a bit. This is from my 54K mile 930.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm interested...

Cole:

I assume that the pin is driven off of a notch in the end of the camshaft? Why does the end get beat up so badly? Does the scavenge pump pulse during operation which causes impact? I can't understand why the drive pin gets soo beat up. Is that a straight dowel pin? If so, how is it held in the the pump gear shaft? Is there a set-screw in the end of the shaft?

Please enlighten all of the interested viewers.

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The pin is driven by the heads of the two 6mm allen head bolts holding the air pump pulley on the end of the camshaft.
The pins wear because it's a dry area exposed to air, the cogged belt to the air pump is in there on the cogged pulley.

That pin is worn about halfway through and the allen heads were worn too so I replaced the bolts but not the pin when I replaced the cams and valvetrain a few years ago.

I'd like to replace that pin before it wears through, breaks and over floods the turbo with oil.

Cole, can you say where you bought the pin stock?
thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Jim,

I bought some pins a while back. They are special hardened pins and are 60 mm long. Just use a cutoff wheel on your dremel and cut it to length. I can't remember who the vendor was but I had to buy a minimum order to get them. I ordered because these were actual hardened drive pins made for these types of applications. Get me your address and it would be my pleasure to send one out to you.

Cole
Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Fred, Your pin is on the way !!!!!

HFR,
If you look closely at the drive gear in that pic of the pump I sent you will see the hole in the cross section of the shaft. The pin is just pressed / driven into place.

Where are you at in Indiana?

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 06-10-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Pin arrived yesterday,Thanks Cole!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I'm located in Lafayette. You should drive down to the Zionsville car show ( CIRPCA ) this Saturday. It should be fun.

I don't believe that I have an air pump pulley... I simply have a turbo sump tank evacuation pump that is driven by the end of the camshaft. Do I have this same type of pin setup?

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.

Last edited by HFR_Racer; 06-14-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Your '87 930 had to have the air pump to be sold in the states by a dealership.
The air pump, catalytic converter, and lambda system are the afterthought emission controls they put on the car to meet EPA emissions so they could sell them in the USA again starting in 1986.

You can't see the pulley until you remove the scavange pump and the cover over the pulley that is between the oil pump and cam tower. If yours doesn't have one somebody removed it and modified the mounting set up, shortened and bent the metal oil lines to fit, and probably modified the air shroud sheet metal around it for oil line clearance on the exit side.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I want to thank David Cole for sending me a new scavange pump drive pin and he didn't want any payment for it. Thats super nice of you Dave, it arrived today.

I don't have the pump off the cam tower right now but from memory it looks like it's cut to the right length and the ends are finished off really nice too.

Thanks again Dave,

Jim
Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I'm in a bit of a pickle.....or at least it feels like it.
I don't have those pin/"keys" for the end of the cam, don't know where to get some.
I have the scavenge pump w/the air pump drive. I haven't really paid as much attention to this part of my project as I should have mostly because it intimidates me for some reason which seems stupid as I just completed the rebuild of my 930 engine. This engine was in parts when I got it, and this pump is not for this engine, it's for a later 930 and mine is 77 930. Add to that that, I don't have the sheet metal for the 930, I'm going to be using the metal from the 77 911s and modifying it to work with the scavenge system. I have gone back and fourth with ideas of using the SP or draining to the chain covers which would be easier especially since I'm using the Garrett turbo as well using less oil flow. Then Chris of turbokraft told me I just need to use the scavenge system since it's better and I have everything. But I'm missing the line to it, and from it too....it just seems daunting to me for some reason. Should I drain that bi*#h? Am I making this too much of a deal? Thanks, BA
Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

BA:

Chris is the E.F. Hutton of Porsches, when he speaks we listen.

Chris has a kit for the turbo feed line I think it makes it a snap to do.

Factory Assy. Layout:

Chris's Kit:

I have a factory drip tank if need one:

The drip tank to scavenger pump line if you need one:

You would be wise to consider a filter after the pump:

Then just dump back into the crankcase vent cover after the filter:

Hope this helps !!!!!!

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 09-30-2011 at 06:08 AM..
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Thanks Cole, your awesome. I'll take your drip tank line to pump if thats cool, just pm me amount and such? I have the drip tank and turbo oil tank. So that leaves me with the line to the tank from the scavange pump. And what about that filter? Thats a nice way to break up that return line
Yeah, Chris is cool, and helpful too but he has much bigger fish to fry yeah? I mean he would help me if I asked but I don't want to take his valuable time for lesser issues. I have bought his feed kit for the Garrett. Thats why I love this forum, if someone has the time, they will chime in and help.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

BA:

That line runs $147 list price. Does $55 shipped sound fair? My PayPal is
cole930@mchsi.com

The filter is a Moroso you can find them on Ebay, Summit, Jegs, etc. I
strongly recommend using one as it will trap any coking particles and
dumping through the crankcase vent will assure its filtered again before
it gets back into the system. Get the filter with 6 AN end fittings. Then just
plumb it up with AN fittings and braided hose. Use a 1/2 NPT tap in the
crankcase vent cover.

Chris is the greatest, I've known him a long time and he is a fine person.
He is presently building a new intercooler for me, can't wait to see lt.

Cole
Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Done thanks Cole.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

A quick question, Cole what did you use to cap off the turbo return line at the oil tank?
thanks Frank

1982 930, K-27, BL adj. WUR, Rarlyl8 Headers and Hooligan muffler, MSD 6, 22 and 30mm torsion bars, poly bronze bushings 30mm raised spindles and custom valved Bilstein shocks (by Elephant Racing), monoballs front and rear (by Rennline), Alton 17" Fuchs, Fred Cook fuse panel
Old 09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: