Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Manassas, VA

Garage
Exhaust Repairable?

Hello All,
I like to spend time under the car, unless I find something like this:

My question is can this be DIY repaired? Is the material Porsche used for the turbo exhaust pipes some kind of stainless steel that can be MIG or Oxy-Acet welded by a wanna-be welder or does it require some kind of pre-heat, vacuum chamber, nuclear welding process like the reactor coolant pumps on a submarine?

Failing a repair, or until I can get it properly welded (I'm thinking TIG at a minimum) does anyone have one of these crossover pipes from a 965. Our host sells a Dansk replacement but I would like to keep it original and keep costs down.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had a similar break in the crossover pipe on my 930. I mig welded it without a problem, added a brace at the same time, and it's held up for about a year and counting. The welding was with standard stuff, ER70S wire and 75/25 gas, nothing special.

John
Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
John,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have a similar setup. Hobart "Handler" MIG with 75/25 gas. My wire is "Fabshield 21B" or E71T-11, which I understand is a DCEP flux-cored, all-position wire with good crack resistance. I'm not an experienced welder but my little brother is. I think I'll let him do it. He has a 997 and if he trashes the weld, I'll just take his car.

I also have some ER308L stainless wire. I understand that our pipes have some stainless in them. Would that wire have any beneficial effect? It may be harder to use.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-23-2011, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've also read the exhaust has some stainless (Ni & Cr) content, but it's fairly low, as evidenced by the fact they rust some. I have no experience with stainless wire, so I can't offer much advice there. The flux core wouldn't be my choice, it usually gives a pretty messy job, but maybe I don't know how to use it properly. The welding will go a lot better if you preheat the flange, so it doesn't pull all the heat from the weld so quickly.

Mine looked like this:

John
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
John,
Did you remove the pipe to weld it? I wondered about the flange face alignment and having the pipe "move" with the heat. Maybe tack it and then remove the pipe for an all-around weld?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
You will get "sugaring" with stainless welding when there's no backing gas or flux on the back side so be sure to clean up the back side of the weld before starting the car. Otherwise some of the sugaring residue could come off and go through the turbo.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I took it off so I could weld all the way around the pipe. Then it's easy to clean up the inside. Like David says, any "sugar" or metal going to the turbo would be very bad.

It's no problem to line up, but you could tack it on the car if you wanted.

I probably wouldn't attempt to weld an area on the exhaust if I couldn't get to the back of the weld to clean it up.

John
Old 06-26-2011, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Mark...if your repair doesn't do the trick shoot me a pm. I have the original exhaust from mine that I might be able to free up.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Jeff,
PM sent. I wish you lived closer to me, I would buy you a beer. Or a six-pack. Or a case.

I used to drink Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve until Busch, or someone, bought them out and watered the beer down so that it lost all semblance of taste.

Mark
Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You can weld it, should be ok as a temp fix, however in years to come you probably really should bite the bullet and up-grade. I would absolutly remove the unit clean up the surface area you are planning to weld. But then again since you are kinda already under there and like removing it, just replace it.

Good luck thou!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: