Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Titan

Garage
RUF BTR a conversion story

I'm going too transform my 87 930 too a RUF BTR conversion starting with the exterior then the interior,
firsts on the list is
1. Wheels
2. front & rear badges
3. extra center caps for wheels
4. Front ruf valance
5.Ruf steering wheel/or Momo
6. Ruf pedals
7. Recaro seats

----later----
8. Suspension work
9. Engine & trans work

So far that's the list
RUF of Michigan is a good source for the parts
PICS COMING SOON

Last edited by Ylonewolf; 06-18-2011 at 03:24 AM..
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Titan

Garage
Ruf 80's brochure images

Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thats alot of Mula..$$$

INMOP-Just do the wheels and suspension...

Make the engine right. EFI-..etc..etc..

Make your car a SLEEPER- You will never stop smiling.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
+1 on that's a lot of money...
Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbo Titan

Garage
Yeah alot of money but I'll find some deals out there
Better bodies valance $400 instead of $1800 at Ruf
Then of course eBay might have some deals too
Old 06-15-2011, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I got my valance from better bodies-ruf knock off $400. Quality is good. Came with wire mesch screen. I had to use a dremel to fine tune it.

Otherwise- Im happy.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Turbo Titan

Garage
Good too know wjfk32 I was worried they where cheap makes me more motivated for it
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Turbo Titan

Garage
BEFORE WHEELS

AFTER WHEELS

Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
WOW! the Cassis looks awesome in the sun, about five years ago there was a special wishes Cassis slant nose for sale in my neck of the woods 89 too and I foolishly passed on it because it was Cassis over linen interior. Beautiful car, leave it alone and enjoy it save the money for more toys.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

+1 leave it alone.

I only did the front valance/bumper becuz my previous one was to low and scrapped the bottom.

Plus I added a front cooler and lines...etc..etc..

Wouldn't do it if r just doing it for looks.

CIS- you can only do some much for 400whp-- Over that you r getting into $$$ territory and it will never run right. Unless you have the magic touch.

EFI- Is the way to go period.

You don't want to spend so much $$$$ in a car that is not done right the 1ST TIME.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbo Titan

Garage
Yeah the front valance is really dented and the rubber is coming off so it out of necessity than anything
Old 06-16-2011, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

That's a clean looking car.
If you want the front airdam to be as nice, be prepared to spend a lot extra at the body shop to make a Better Bodies airdam fit correctly: follow the wheel arches correctly, line up flush with the fore-aft fender line, be flush with the bumper, etc...
Often the cars they feature on their site have the genuine part installed, not their own. Example: yellow 930 cab with Ruf CTR bumper has the genuine polyurethane Ruf part, not a fiberglass reproduction.
There's a reason their parts are so inexpensive.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
The original owner of mine spent around $20k on making this 1986 930 look like a RUF BTR after he took delivery of the car in 1986.

The only real peformance upgrades were:
RUF Variable Boost
RUF Short Shifter
RUF Duel Exhaust

Exterior/interior included:
RUF Metal Slope Fenders
Custom Interior with RUF gauges.
RUF 17" wheels ( I love the look of those!)

Not included in the conversion were the important, read expensive, upgrades.
5 speed RUF Transmision
3.4 litre motor
RUF Intercooler

It is a beautiful car but the bottom line, way $$$ to do a real BTR conversion and in the end, without the RUF BTR VIN plate in the car, you will not get the money back out of it. It might be as cheap to find a real one for sale in the end and it will be worth what you paid for it down the road. I paid half price for mine so I am very happy with it. I plan to upgrade mine with the standard stuff to get it to the upper 300hp to 400hp level. I figure a 930 with close to the same horsepower of a newer twin turbo without the weight would be kick ass enough.

Good Luck!

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior

Last edited by 1986 930; 06-16-2011 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-16-2011, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 930 View Post
It is a beautiful car but the bottom line, way $$$ to do a real BTR conversion and in the end, without the RUF BTR VIN plate in the car, you will not get the money back out of it.
That is a beautiful car!
Q: Is that a vintage phone in the center tunnel? And what's the angled pod on the passenger's door panel?

We have a genuine BTR engine in the shop right now for a full rebuild from an overseas client. I'm sure it was state-of-the-art tuning in 1986, but today's standards it's very ordinary: modest head work, typical very short skirt (light but shortened life) 98mm 7.5:1 pistons, larger intercooler, upgraded turbo, 4-tip muffler, camshafts, and aluminum clutch. Very conservative, and probably very reliable (except no diverter valve). It'll be interesting to see if there's anything special about the CIS injection -- other than the fuel pressure damper between the WUR and fuel head -- as we remanufacture it.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Turbo Titan

Garage
Hey Turbokraft do you know anybody else who makes the RUF valance (upper one) I only found better bodies
You guys do great work by the way

Last edited by Ylonewolf; 06-16-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
That is a beautiful car!
Q: Is that a vintage phone in the center tunnel? And what's the angled pod on the passenger's door panel?

Chris that is the relocated clock.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
A relocated clock on the pasenger side and a head temp gauge on the drivers side. It is a vintage, 1986 phone. I pulled the phone out so that all that is in there now is the cradle. I have the phone in the trunk. I figure that it will be a nice conversation piece some day. The original owner also put a second window switch on the pasenger side and a third window switch on the driver side for an auto up and down function. It sounded kind of silly to me at first but I really love those things. When you think about it, how often do you roll up or down a window part way.

The dumbest thing I have seen is that with the flick of a switch, I can get the rear liscense plate to fold down exposing a big back up light when the car is in reverse. I wish he had skipped that mod and gone with the RUF Intercooler instead. I will have to get a pic of that thing.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior

Last edited by 1986 930; 06-17-2011 at 02:01 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Mate, thats a great looking car . Leave the body as it is. Do the engine and suspension and leave that honey just as she is. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
The dumbest thing I have seen is that with the flick of a switch, I can get the rear liscense plate to fold down exposing a big back up light when the car is in reverse. I wish he had skipped that mod and gone with the RUF Intercooler instead. I will have to get a pic of that thing.
The winker! I think that is an Ultrasmith converted car. I was looking at a '78 that was converted by them and had the same option, among many other stange ones!

Far From Stock 1985 Euro 3.2
Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
I gotta see that!! Did it also come with a push-button oil slick for taking care of those pesky tailgaters?
Old 06-18-2011, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: