Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
So what's up with my gas gauge?

When my gauge reads near empty (< 1/8 tank) the car will only take 12 gallons of fuel for a fill up. According to the manual we have a 20 gallon tank. Can the gauge really be 8 gallons off? Is this a "they all do that" issue, or do I need a new fuel sender?

It seems to function normally otherwise. Does't stick, fills to the top etc. It does seem very non linear.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvallis View Post
When my gauge reads near empty (< 1/8 tank) the car will only take 12 gallons of fuel for a fill up. According to the manual we have a 20 gallon tank. Can the gauge really be 8 gallons off? Is this a "they all do that" issue, or do I need a new fuel sender?

It seems to function normally otherwise. Does't stick, fills to the top etc. It does seem very non linear.
Exactly the same for me!

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Read a couple of threads on repairing the sender, its not too bad. I had different symptoms, but pulled it out and fixed it.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

it's easy to change out
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Replaced the sender. Same gas gauge behavior. Damn

On the bright side, I now know exactly how far my car will go on a tank of gas. Ran it down to 1/8 full, put a 2 gallon can in the trunk and drove until it ran out of fuel. Check out these weird numbers.

161 miles - gas gauge reads empty
234 miles - low fuel light comes on (had never seen it before)
291 mies - out of gas

The car actually took 23 gallons on the fill up. (including fuel from my spare can) That makes 12.6 MPG in town. Pretty good, considering I am always on boost. It was only 7 MPG before the rebuild, so I'm pleased (Thanks again Dave M) I fill up at 250 miles now.

Time to look for a new gas gauge.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbofrog

My gauge was stuck in 1/4 full so I ran out of fuel on sunday. Took a bit of effort to figure what had happened until I relised it was empty. I've had so much trouble with misfires with melting rotors and so on it did not seem like it was out of fuel.

I got bad misfires after the episode but now that I finally assembled my MSD superconductors (universal V8 kit) the car runs really nice and I have two spare wires too.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: