Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
PPI results

Getting close to making a purchase and just got the PPI report back and have a few questions.

Itís a 1982, so ROW car with euro fuel head. It also has ported heads, 964 cams, and a 7006 turbo. What kind of gas mileage should I expect?

1) From researching this site, it looks like the combination of 964+7006 is better suited higher RPM and would be better for track and highway driving and not city driving. Iím guessing the euro fuel head and larger ports would also add to the top end.

Engine and drive train are solid. Compression was split between 120 and 125 and the leakdown were 5% on four cylinders with one 6% and one 7%.

I want to make sure all the ďlittle thingsĒ are not going to be major items. I put down an estimate of the cost based on quick searches.

2) AC compressor was removed. Car has a full bay intercooler. Not sure about putting in AC, Iím guessing itís a $2k project.

3) No heat since it has aftermarket headers, not sure on brand. PPI mechanic said not Fabspeed, not Billy Boat and not equal length (so not Brianís). Owner said heíd send some pictures. The owner said his mechanic could fabricate some heater boxes. Any thoughts on this route? Otherwise its $2500k to Brian.

4) Master Cylinder is bad - almost out of brake fluid with no sign of a leak. Has steel braided lines. Mechanic said $700. Figure Iíd want that done before driving it home.

5) High beams stuck on, needs new switch. $250

6) No windshield washer reservoir due to change in front valance.
- A parts search revealed this could be up to $400, but I didnít really know what would be needed Ė pump, hoses?

7) Boost gauge does not work.
Ė Plan to replace with boost/vacuum gauge. $250

8) Odometer not working. This sounds like a typical problem. I penciled in $500.

9) Motors on side mirrors donít work. Mechanic didnít think fixing would be a big deal, but I donít think it would be a big deal anyway since I doubt Iíll change them.

10) Minor paint problem on the right rear fender Ė car was repainted. Guessing $600.

11) Mechanic said there was some puffing, but with the leakdown numbers, it wasnít something to be concerned about. Should I follow up?

Thank you for any feedback.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Full bay intercooler will make it hard to put A/C back in the car. I believe that some have done something similar to the 964 and 993 turbos with the condensor in the tirewell.

Creating heater boxes and fitting them to your headers on the car might be a viable solution for heat, and a cheaper option in cost then Brians headers. That being said, you can always put Brians on the car, and resell what is already there...

The odometer in my 83' was bad when I bought the car, and it was the gear. I believe it was a $100 or less part to replace.

My 83' also had sticking mirrors and after spraying them with some WD-40 and moving them around manually for a little bit they loosened up and started to work just fine. Maybe try this route before throwing money at it.

Numbers look good on the motor. How many miles and any other work besides the ported heads and cams?
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have AC parts from an '87 and a B&B half bay intercooler if you want to work out a trade for the full bay, depending on quality and condition of course.

I believe you can disassemble the headlight dimmer switch and correct some issues with the contacts rather than replacing it outright.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I took my headlight switch apart and cleaned everything and it fixed it. (mine was the opposit, high beams were not working) If it all moves freely in there and nothing is broken, make sure that it is not simply a wire not connected in the right spot in the fuse box or under the dash.
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)

Last edited by Roby466; 06-16-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Old 06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I run SSI heat exchangers. They put out a lot of heat and flow well.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
2nd on odo gear - I got mine from our host for something like $25 IIRC. A bit of a PITA taking the bezel off the unit but a pretty straightforward repair otherwise.

BUT

the bigger and more obvious Q is: at what mileage did the gear go? Sounds like a it's a TMU car, which is a bit spooky IMO

Also 2nd on the high beam switch. I f'd mine up w/ a cancellor 'incident' (self inflicted, dumbarse me) and it's never been quite the same since. I got it nearly good by tweaking the copper contacts within the unit, was some trial / error. Otherwise, I've seen them on the classifieds here occasionally for like $50.

Define "puffing"... @ startup? Idle? On boost? On decel? Does it puff out the oil filler cap?

Great idea on trading your full bay for Patrick's 1/2 bay and A/C, if A/C's important to you (I bought his headers recently, great to deal with FWIW).

Brian's headers are pure _S_*_X_... I sooooo want. Agree w/ the thought of scoring his and selling yours 8-).

Sounds like a cool car otherwise. Pics? We can all usually tell a LOT from pics. Yes, your research here on the 964 cams / 7006 is right - that's a top-end (powerband) set up.

HTH, good luck - hope it works out for ya!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-16-2011, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie93 View Post
2) AC compressor was removed. Car has a full bay intercooler. Not sure about putting in AC, Iím guessing itís a $2k project.

3) No heat since it has aftermarket headers, not sure on brand. PPI mechanic said not Fabspeed, not Billy Boat and not equal length (so not Brianís). Owner said heíd send some pictures. The owner said his mechanic could fabricate some heater boxes. Any thoughts on this route? Otherwise its $2500k to Brian.

6) No windshield washer reservoir due to change in front valance.
- A parts search revealed this could be up to $400, but I didnít really know what would be needed Ė pump, hoses?
We've done the conversion adding the 964/993 condenser in the left front fender. No more hot condenser in the engine compartment! You replace the huge stock washer tank with a compact one, roughly 1L capacity -- plenty for most 930 drivers). It's not that difficult, and start-to-finish was about $1800 parts & labor. Solves problems (2) and (6) on your list. Email me for more info.

Making heat exchangers isn't particularly difficult, but can be time consuming -- and very challenging if you want to make them removable (ask RarlyL8, not easy!). Still way cheaper than replacing headers.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had a BMW 320i with a leaky master cylinder. It was leaking internally back into the brake booster and there was alot of brake fluid in there.. really made a mess of the big vacuum diaphram inside and it was a pain to replace with a good used one.

$400 for a washer tank? You often see used ones with headlight washer pumps here for around 30-40 bucks. There's another small one up by the master cylinder. It's enough to get by but needs refilling often.
The big one works great as a water/methanol injection tank if it's clean and there's no slime growing in it.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Here are some pics. The owner has done quite a bit of work on it. I have not seen the car yet and trying to decide on the interior. PPI mechanic said it was done really well and does not come across cheesy.

The PPI mechanic thinks there is another 10k miles on the car after piecing together receipts. Need to ask the owner. He advertised less then 10k mile on rebuild. The fact that it was not disclosed by owner makes me more than a little cautious.

I cannot remember what the mechanic said about the puffing. I was at work and swamped. He said he was running it to see if it went away. It did not make the final report.

The more I think about it, the more i'm talking myself out of the car. At least at the previous discussed price.

BTW, the PPI was done by Vinnie at Gulf Performance Center in Miami. He got busy and took a week from when the car was dropped off. He said he got very busy and wanted to talk to the guys that the owner used, but they were at Watkins Glen and had to wait for them to get back. While it was my first PPI, it seemed through and took the time to walk me though everything.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I get around 14 mpg in town. I was just out in San Diego and saw $4.84/gallon for premium unleaded. Ouch! Florida is much cheaper.

You have done a really good job establishing where the car is at as far as the fixes go.

Check the receipts from previous work and compare the dates and the mileage to see how often the car was driven over the years. If it has set for a long period of time, you can expect oil leaks as you start driving it more regularly. I learned this trick the hard way on my first "low mileage" 930!

I make it a point to drive mine a few miles at least once a week to keep everything lubed up. It is a tough job, but...............

Good Luck!

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior

Last edited by 1986 930; 06-16-2011 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
It looks pretty good from that picture
1985 Black 930, K27 7006, Garretson Intercooler, Adj boost, TB: 23 - 31mm, bielstein sport shocks, ER polybronze bushings front and rear, ER monoball joints front and rear with offset camber plates, 935 X triangulated strut brace, raised spindles, racing bump steer kit
1981 Black 911sc (sold)
Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
6%-7% leak down on a relatively fresh motor doesn't sound right, unless it just needs to be driven hard for a while to blow out some carbon but would have expected lower leak down numbers, also my odometer had same problems, cheap fix from North Hollywood Speedo
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 06-17-2011, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I guess the owner didn't like my email discussing the results of the PPI. He just emailed me saying he is instructing the attorney to send back the deposit.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Well geesh - that's a bummer, but also kinda telling.

Shame, the car looked real nice. Liked that color, and that interior while not my taste actually looked damn sharp, well done, and well kept.

But, there's always a ton of good ones out there - just be patient and the right car will come to you.

Good luck.

Btw / FWLIW... if he's being *that* big a tool about it, I'd tell him you're instructing his atty to include your PPI $$$ then since *HE* is renegging on the contract - just sayin'...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: