Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.71 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Max Sluiter

Garage
Well, I imagine the answer will be to have the inside of the intercooler as a somewhat rough, bare Aluminum surface, while the outside coating would be best polished and ceramic coated clear. The cooling of the air is being done in the radiator portion of the IC. The air in the engine compartment I imagine is on average the same order of temperature as the incoming charged air, possibly a little hotter if the car is not sucking much air through the fan (low revs). But the heat being radiated onto the IC will be dominant and so the polished surface to reflect that heat. The ceramic coating will not hurt since the cooling of the charge air is being done by convection via the air being sucked through the fins (radiator portion).

We will see if the answer turns out differently.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #281 (permalink)

I really hate to burst anyones bubble here but this is nothing but a
f------ heat shield. No mystery, no complex science, a heat shield.
It simply helps block the heat from the turbo from reaching the
case.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 01-02-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #282 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I realize that. Someone had brought up intercoolers, so sorry for the off topic.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #283 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Sorry didn't mean to get this thread so far off track I thought it was a harmless suggestion I will go now.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #284 (permalink)

Guy's don't get me wrong here this has been a real blast. I thought where this went was incrediable.
We all learned a lot and it was a ball. I felt it brought out what is so great about this forum and we
all had fun I thourghly enjoyed it. !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 01-02-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #285 (permalink)

My fault boys....I saw the word "radiator" in the discussion somewhere and simply leaped from there. Sorry for the misdirection. One of these days I'll get back to offering comments of some value. Cole, you're right, it's just a freakin' heat shield for Christ's sake.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program as we watch the Old One's progress on what is and will be a fantastic build.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #286 (permalink)

Guy's,
No apologies needed here We didn't go off topic, and who cares if
we do, we do this all the time. Part of the fun here is slicing and dicing a
topic and thats all that was done. I really got a kick out of where this went.
It was a lot of fun for a heat shield.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my comment. My comment was
intended as nothing other than my sick humor about the irony. Where else
in the world can you start with a 14" x4.5" piece of tin and and end up with
top secret supersonic aircraft.
Ya gotta love it.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 01-03-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #287 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

No apology needed really.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #288 (permalink)

G Man:

[QUOTE][Originally Posted by gsmith660
From schoolphysics.co.uk first website I went to pertaining to infrared radiation:

Black surfaces are the best emitters of heat radiation.
Black surfaces are the best absorbers of heat radiation.
Shiny surfaces are the best reflectors of heat radiation.
Shiny surfaces are poor absorbers of heat radiation.
Glass will not transmit heat radiation.

That would suggest a black reflector would in fact move the heat closer to the motor just sayin.

/QUOTE]

By the way !!!!! You were correct !!!!!

Cole
Old 01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #289 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Why not install a water meth kit in the turbine housing? That should cool it down some and the steam created would drive the turbine wheel like a steam turbine....should be good for an extra 50hp or so.
Tail gaters would be blasted off your a$$ too.

see ya
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #290 (permalink)

Mr. Fred:

Good to hear from you buddy !!!!! Hope all is well with you and
it sounds like the car is well and waiting for the tracks to open.

I actually investigated a nozzle at the turbo but the general consensus
is that it is not recommended with the exception of some diesel
applications.

I've been wanting to ask you how you like the SC cam/ K27S combination.

Cole
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #291 (permalink)

cole why not get the rear housing ceramic coated? in conjunction with the heat shield it might cut down the temps nicely?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #292 (permalink)

CM:

Nice to hear from way down under !!!!

The Sled is just an old street car. I don't do any track work or DE,
just my grocery getter. If I was working the car harder than I
would consider it.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 01-04-2012 at 05:28 AM..
Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #293 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I have this kind of closed shield on mine. Water injection on turbine housing would cool the turbine which is the opposite how its most effective.

79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #294 (permalink)
Banned

^^ Have you had any problems with the "blanket" on the turbine housing? Kevin (Ultimate Motorwerks) says to not use them as they keep too much heat in the housing, shaft and such (this is his opinion regarding the K27 variants - maybe doesn't pertain to your turbo?) . . .
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #295 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Is the feeding line touching the housing there or is it just the angle of view?

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #296 (permalink)

Bus Man & Ron:

There are a lot of different opinions on whether the turbine blanket
is a plus or a minus. I really don't know. I would like an opinion from
someone that has dyno experience where the actual temp. differentials
and effect on Hp can be documented.

Bus Man, Rolands right you might want to take a look at that oil feed line
as it looks like it could be rubbung or transfering heat to the incomming oil.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 01-05-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old 01-05-2012, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #297 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Mr. Fred:

Good to hear from you buddy !!!!! Hope all is well with you and
it sounds like the car is well and waiting for the tracks to open.

I actually investigated a nozzle at the turbo but the general consensus
is that it is not recommended with the exception of some diesel
applications.

I've been wanting to ask you how you like the SC cam/ K27S combination.

Cole
Hey Cole,
I was just kidding about the water injection on the turbine housing knowing that you had done it on the intake manifold successfully. I should have made it more obvious.

I like the SC cams and the k27S. I am not sure what made the most difference because I also had the heads ported to 36mm on the intake ports. Right now it makes boost very early in the rev range. Almost always going to positive manifold pressure at any throttle movement. Gas mileage has gone down the drain now, I am lucky to see 13-14mpg on the highway where previously with the 3.3 liter stock block I saw almost 21mpg highway.
I am looking to dyno it next spring so I will post the results for everyone. I need to see about getting a Leask adjustable WUR but strangely with the stock WUR and the Snow water meth system my AF ratio seems ok.....dont know how this is making grade but it is.
Your build looks intimidating. Great job so far.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #298 (permalink)

Mr. Fred:

I figured you were pimping me on the turbine injector. I just was letting
you know I was nuts enough that I had taken a look at doing it.

The car sounds killer and that's just what I was hoping to hear. I'm an
always shift by 6000 RPM guy. I picked the K28S because from what I
could pick up it will hold boost to 6000 and spools super quick. Everything
I have done is tailored to that. Thanks for the kind words this has always
been a true labor of love for me and I have enjoyed all of it.

Glad to hear about the Snow WMI the guy's there told me it would
fatten the afr's by .5 to 1.5, it must be working. I'm looking forward to
seeing those dyno numbers of yours.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 01-05-2012 at 05:44 PM..
Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #299 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffighter View Post
Is the feeding line touching the housing there or is it just the angle of view?
I'm not sure if it touches but the cold side should not be that hot to affect the oil inlet temps. I chose that position to be able to tighten it from behind when I found out the previous flange leaked badly so I had to install this flange when the turbo was already installed.

This shield is rated to 1200C and should work fine with holset family at least.
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #300 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: