Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.71 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Marty:

Man that would be killer !!!!!!!!! I don't have a feel for how it's going to fit yet but I'll get a rear bumper dug out and see if I can get some idea. My car is an 80 ROW but they should be pretty much all the same. If you could just make the cookie cutter tip I could get Arlo to weld it on once I get a zork made and clocked. That's really great of you to offer as I had given up on finding one. Just let me know how much you need and your PayPal address. I'll be forever grateful.

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 06-17-2011 at 06:17 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Banned

WOW, nice home-grown fab work, Mr.C !!! Like you, I do my fabricating with cardboard mockups, carbide wheels, die grinders and files, so I can relate - I'm very impressed !!!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Thanks and thats cool I would suggest powdercoat for the bracket for a long lasting finish you know it would look cool with smoke chrome powder on it.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Ron: Thanks man !!!! When I was 14 I shoveled coal for $2 a ton and it teaches you not to pay to have the things done you can learn to do yourself. Those old lessons learned things stick with you and 53 years later you actually find yourself enjoying
just doing it yourself.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 06-17-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Great work for an old guy - even if it is a hairbrained project.

Your really starting to show us younger guys up. I only sent you the drawings a few weeks ago and now you have already outpaced me in terms of progress.

Hopefully the dimensions worked for you. Keep up the outstanding work and updates. I need all the inspiration I can get.

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Richard,

Your RSR build sets the bar so high no one can come close. If not for you and your generosity I'd still be scratching my head.

" YOU ARE THE MAN "

And Thank You !!!!!
David

Last edited by cole930; 06-18-2011 at 05:40 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Cole!!!
Wow...nice job on the "hairbrained project"! I hope everything else will go as smoothly as this one until you get your white beast up and running. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will complete it and get it running before P2O. I'm looking forward to see you again. Even if you don't get it done in time for P2O we can always meet up half way for lunch and cruise later in the summer/fall.

Now, regarding the cookie cutter exhaust. I know nothing about it...does it sound different? What does it do to performance if any? All I know is that it looks trick!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I think the cookie cutters were an attempt to tune the extractor effect to a cetain rpm. Isn't the middle tube of the cookie cutter actually tapered like a sort of reverse cone? This would change the resonant frequency of the exhaust pulses, IIRC.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/

Last edited by Flieger; 06-18-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Cole, I just want to express my admiration for the way you do things.

Skills and knowledge combined with straight forward no BS execution- NICE.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsveb View Post
Cole, I just want to express my admiration for the way you do things.

Skills and knowledge combined with straight forward no BS execution- NICE.
I will second that you inspire me!
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Man.....don't check in for a few days a look what I miss!

Nice work 'Ol Guy' Looking forward to see the final setup!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Cole-

PM me your address. I don't need to fab the cookie cutter, I have one.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

DONE DEAL !!!!!

Turbo Installed, Scavenger return line made and on, making up Turbo feed line now, and test fitting the Turbo intake pipe so we can locate where the CIS needs to sit.
(That's the next hairbraind project)

Mikie:

Looking forward to seeing you buddy. I'lll be cutting it close but I'm doing my best to make the date. But worst case we'll get together regardless.

Flieger:

Intersting thoery on the cookie cutter. I actually tried to find some information on them when I first started looking for one.
Maybe someone will chime in and let us know.

For you who don't know Flieger he is the resident "Suspension God" this man knows more about setting up a Porsche suspension than anyone needs to know. Knows his s--- and always willing to help so if your looking for help he's the go to guy.

Jesper and G Man:

Hey you two, thanks for the kind words. You have to understand' I'm just older than dirt and have made every mistake known to man. I was just lucky enough to learn a little from them. Like I said earlier " Even a blind hog will find an acorn now and then"

Win:

Where have you been bud? Haven't heard much from you lately. Give us an update on what you've been up to. I have missed your input, your opinions are always a real assett and add needed sence to the confusion.

Marty:

Man, I can't believe this after 20 years, and you'll never know how much it's appreciated !!!!

David Cole
6247 County Rd. 427
Auburn, In.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 06-18-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

You ought to go EDIS it would be so easy to set it up with this rig.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

G Man:

Unfortunatly us old people are set in our ways and I hate all that high tech s---. You have to remember I took my Statics final in College with a slide rule. The MSD Programmable is about as high tech as I want to go. I realy like the old school stuff. I actually wouldn't trade the sled for a brand new turbo.

What are you running for ignition now.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 06-19-2011 at 06:57 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Cole I am running EDIS right now and the timing is so stable it is scary mine is controlled through the EFI ecu and is very simple and allows adjustible boost retard since you want to stay with CIS you could get a megajolt box to control your EDIS I would be happy to try and get a advance map for you. I agree with you I would not give up my old car for the new ones ever.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
I always thought the cookie cutter was a flame suppresor?

But then again, Im noht dat smahhht 8-/...

Cole, that looks f'n tits! And nipples, for that matter!!! Awesome!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Paul,

Thanks a million. Nice to see things finally comming together. It's been a long tough road getting here.

Never thought about flame surpression, could very well be exactly what it was used for.

Cole
Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Around 25 years ago I asked Kevin at Gunnar Porsche what those "cookie cutter" things in the end of the approximately 1-2 foot long tapered megaphone exhausts on the old porsche racecars were for.
I never saw them in any other cars exhaust pipe and I didn't know what it would do for performance by looking at it so it was a curiosity.

I think he said they helped improve exhaust scavenging from the long tapered megaphone tailpipes they used on those cars.
Maybe they reduced the chance of flames popping out the tailpipe on deceleration or maybe they reduced exhaust turbulance at the end of the tapered megaphone exhaust making it scavange better, I don't know.

You see little ones in some Borla dual tailpipes but I think those are just for looks.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

G Man,

I am always interested in looking at the timing curves people are running in these old sleds. My MSD is completely programmable timing curve and boost retard I use the Snow WMI to control any detonation issues and the combination works great. I call it the SEOP System. Simple Enough for Old People.

Cole
Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: