Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.71 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Jimmer,

Appreciate the input. I've never known what the cookie cutters really did either. I've always liked them because they were so 1st. generation old school Turbo cool. It's kind of a form and function thing. If it looks cool enough it doesn't really need to be functional. Always thought the cookie cutter added at least 10 HP worth of cool.

Did you get your pump pins ok ?

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Hi Dave, yes I got the pin a couple few days ago thanks.
I put a thankyou post in the thread you mentioned them before the other day and that was very very nice of you to send me that.

The scavenge pump drive pin on mine has 120,000 miles on it now and is worn halfway through like most of them probably are.
Never seen a listing for a new drive pin anywhere and didn't like reusing it last time I had the pump off a few years ago, but I did.

One of these days I'll take the pump off and install the nice hardened steel pin you sent me.
Jim
Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
I've never known what the cookie cutters really did either. I've always liked them because they were so 1st. generation old school Turbo cool. It's kind of a form and function thing. If it looks cool enough it doesn't really need to be functional. Always thought the cookie cutter added at least 10 HP worth of cool.

Cole
Well said, you spoke my mind. Even heard they simply reinforced the megaphones which split from time to time due to resonance.

The 'cutter is boxed and goes out tomorrow.

Marty
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I made this setup for a client some time back. His 930 was modified to look like and RSR and he wanted true duals. I researched RSR's and saw these tips and had to have them for his setup. The system looked great but sounded horrific. Something about those tips and the turbo did not jive. A zork must be a different animal if it sounds good.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
The hats on the tips are to keep the hot exhaust from being sucked up into the low pressure area created by an IROC or similar tail and melting/burning the fiberglass.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Bless your heart Marty. You'll never know how very much I appreciate this.

I've never been your normal plain Jane car enthusiast. I've always like cars and going fast but never had a favorite until I saw my first real 930 in 1976 and that was it. At that time I was dirt ass poor with a wife and 3 young daughters. I worked in a Grey iron foundry during the day and went to school at nite to get my degree.

I always liked Porsches but accepted the fact that I would probably never own one. Every nite I would drive through the Porsche dealers lot on my way home from school to slobber on the cars. That's when I saw my first 930 and it really did change my life.

The 930 became my incentive to keep going, and I knew no matter what I had to do I was going to own one. August 2 of 1988 I found the Sled, It was exactly what I wanted, 78-84 ROW car, and it had to be White. Total Cost $14,000 and to this day I will live in it before I would sell it.

Interestingly, the 930 was what kept me going when I was younger, and needed a kick in the ass, and now it has saved me again.

In 2006-7 I had just finished designing and building my lovely wife a new house, although I had started a redo on the Sled and it was in 1000 pieces. I put the Sled resto on hold to do the house. I finally had the Sled in it's new private quarters and was getting ready to reassemble when I collapsed with a massive heart attack. I went through the whole EMS racing to the Hospital, heart stop, jump start thing, and woke up after having had a triple bypass.

Anyway, I finally got started putting the Sled back toghther and was diagnosed with Cancer, they nicknamed me Lucky.
I went through a few surgeries and healed up pretty well and finally got back to the Sled but afer a year the cancer came back and I was told I had 6 months to live. I told my wife I refused to die before I got to drive the Sled again so I went to Mayo Clinic and had 5-6 more surgeries and I volenteered for a new experimental Chemo trial that was my last chance at driving the damn car again.

Well this new Chemo treatment makes the direct injestion of Drano look mild and I had to do 3 treatments a month for six months which brings me to a conclusion of this long boring saga.

One nite after Chemo I was sitting exactly where I am now, it was 3AM and I was Joneson bad from the chemo. I had a bowel of broth, Dr. required nourshment, I had a bucket on the floor between my legs to puke in, my nose was bleeding and I had to pack it to keep it from dripping blood into my soup, the sores in my mouth hurt so bad I could hardly take a sip , and my hair kept falling in it. For the first time ever I was really feeling like I was loosing the battle. I got up and walked out to the Sled room and sat down on a stack of wheels and just looked at that damn car. Well the Sled and I made an agreement that if I hung in there she would prove to me she was worth the struggle. I made it through the nite, things got easier, I've been clean for 2 years, and and the Sled and I are going for a drive soon.

I'm a real late nite person and every nite, just before I go up to bed, I flip on the light and open the door just to take a look at the Sled.

So when I tell you I appreciate what you are doing for me it is heart felt sincerity from both of us.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 07-24-2011 at 05:47 AM..
Old 06-19-2011, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
David-

I’m at a loss for words regarding the physical challenges you’ve overcome, but know I live with a cancer survivor - 16 years out. I travel through Auburn from time to time visiting my granddaughters in the Detroit metro area. I’ll contact you and stop by.

The cookie cutter is a shallow taper, exits at 3 ”. I’d have Arlo cut it off about 4” back where it is a standard 3” tubing diameter. From there it’s just a basic mandrel bend back to the turbine flange. If Arlo can’t get fab what you need just ask and I’ll get involved. I seriously doubt there is any performance improvement or noise attenuation but it will make the lasting impression you want.

Last edited by copbait73; 06-19-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

My spark map from mega tune
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Inspiring, I wont go into details but my 911 saved my life also the only time I considered getting rid of her was to save my marriage and before you start it would have been worth it. She stopped me before I did it as she knew how much it is a part of me. But Cole that was pure life bending inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Bless your heart Marty. You'll never know how very much I appreciate this.

I've never been your normal plain Jane car enthusiast. I've always like cars and going fast but never had a favorite until I saw my first real 930 in 1976 and that was it. At that time I was dirt ass poor with a wife and 3 young daughters. I worked in a Grey iron foundry during the day and went to school at nite to get my degree.

I always likes Porsches but accepted the fact that I would probably never own one. Every nite I would drive through the Porsche dealers lot on my way home from school to slobber on the cars. That's when I saw my first 930 and it really did change my life.

The 930 became my incentive to keep going, and I knew no matter what I had to do I was going to own one. August 2 of 1988 I found the Sled, It was exactly what I wanted, 78-84 ROW car, and it had to be White. Total Cost $14,000 and to this day I will live in it before I would sell it.

Interestingly, the 930 was what kept me going when I was younger, and needed a kick in the ass, and now it has saved me again.

In 2006-7 I had just finished designing and building my lovely wife a new house, although I had started a redo on the Sled and it was in 1000 pieces. I put the Sled resto on hold to do the house. I finally had the Sled in it's new private quarters and was getting ready to reassemble when I collapsed with a massive heart attack. I went through the whole EMS racing to the Hospital, heart stop, jump start thing, and woke up after having had a triple bypass.

Anyway, I finally got started putting the Sled back toghther and was diagnosed with Cancer, they nicknamed me Lucky.
I went through a few surgeries and healed up pretty well and finally got back to the Sled but afer a year the cancer came back and I was told I had 6 months to live. I told my wife I refused to die before I got to drive the Sled again so I went to Mayo Clinic and had 5-6 more surgeries and I volenteered for a new experimental Chemo trial that was my last chance at driving the damn car again.

Well this new Chemo treatment makes the direct injestion of Drano look mild and I had to do 3 treatments a month for six months which brings me to a conclusion of this long boring saga.

One nite after Chemo I was sitting exactly where I am now, it was 3AM and I was Joneson bad from the chemo. I had a bowel of broth, Dr. required nourshment, I had a bucket on the floor between my legs to puke in, my nose was bleeding and I had to pack it to keep it from dripping blood into my soup, the sores in my mouth hurt when
I would take a sip , and my hair kept falling in it. For the first time ever I was really feeling like I was loosing the battle. I got up and walked out to the Sled room and sat down on a stack of wheels and just looked at that damn car. Well the Sled and I made an agreement that if I hung in there she would prove to me she was worth the struggle. I made it through the nite, things got easier, I've been clean for 2 years, and and the Sled and I are going for a drive soon.

I'm a real late nite person and every nite since, just before I go up to bed, I flip on the light and open the door just to take a look at the Sled.

So when I tell you I appreciate what you are doing for me it is heart felt sincerity from both of us.

Cole
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3

Last edited by gsmith660; 06-19-2011 at 04:33 PM..
Old 06-19-2011, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Jeez, and I thought I was on the edge in terms of thinking, breathing these cars all day long. Spent a lifetime looking at their pictures, never thinking I'd own one. Watched them go down the road, taking in every growl and gear shift. Moving into a new built house next week. Built a 5 bay garage/w/shop attached to it, and room for a hoist. Everyone comments on the shed, not the house.
Last night I showed my wife a pic of a GT3 F/s. Just starting the conversation you see. But I did offer to sell our old faithful first Porsche - an SC that has done us real well, and we both still enjoy it like the day I finally sat in my first porsche. Her reply was that we couldnt do without the old girl, and was that really a good price for a GT3 . Dont know if we will do it or not - feels like being unfaithful, and Cole, I like the old stuff too.
Your story brought a tear to my eye. I'm sure we can all relate to it. Man if I was handy I'd be over every day to give you a hand.
keep the thread progressing and all the best.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 06-19-2011, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Cole, what a great story. Im on the other side of the world, but the feeling for these cars is the same. I wont go into detail, sometimes just the site of the 930 can pick you up. Keep up the great work, you sound like a real gent. Vas
Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Guy's.

Just got back from my daughters and all three of my girls were there including my sons in laws and 7 of my 10 grandkids. They are all wonderful young people, all doing exceptionally well, and it was great to have them thinking of the Old Guy.

I was surprised when I got back and read the wonderful replies.

I have written here many times "Your either a 930 guy or your not and there is no in-between" I told my story because the Sled has always been more than just a car for me and I knew you guy's are the only people in the world that would understand.

As far as my story is concerned it's just a part of living. Cancer is real simple it either kills you or it doesn't and you don't get to choose. You just get stubborn, dig in, and do everything you can to beat it. I never went through anything that thousands of others haven't endured and I'm the toughest, no quit, SOB, God ever put on earth. Just know I'll be fine and if I dropped dead in the next 10 seconds I didn't miss a damn thing while I was here.

Marty,

I'm 2 miles off of I 69 at Exit 11A that's the Kruse Auction Park Exit for Auburn. I'd love to meet you and you can always reach me at 260-570-6914

Last edited by cole930; 08-21-2011 at 06:43 AM..
Old 06-19-2011, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
My buddy Cole happens to be the toughest fuchker I've ever met and if he ever gets the old sled finished I'm hoping he writes a book, cause he's got a few stories to tell.

I think all 930 guys walk to the garage on the way to bed just to flip on the light for one more glance I know I do
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

LATE TO THE PARTY!!!

Need Video!!!!

Fantastic Work COLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walt
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Mines not a 930 its just a 911 but I have the same passion and I would definately buy that book if he wrote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
My buddy Cole happens to be the toughest fuchker I've ever met and if he ever gets the old sled finished I'm hoping he writes a book, cause he's got a few stories to tell.

I think all 930 guys walk to the garage on the way to bed just to flip on the light for one more glance I know I do
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Christomighty Dave you sure have a way of putting things in perspective!
I've got a couple friends fighting the big C right now and it's scary as hell. You never know where the tipping point is.
There may be a parade around your house for the old sled's maiden voyage. We'll bring the beer.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Cougar Bait:

If I were to write a book it would have a section on the world record holder for a Porsche engine drops. Consequently you'll be in it !!!!

Walt:

Glad you joined us, late or not ya know your always welcome.

G Man:

It doesn't make any difference if it's a 930 or not it's all about the badge on it's nose.

Bri:

Now that's a scary idea all these animals together at one time. We'd all be in jail.
Count me in !!!!

Sorry to hear about your friends you tell them to fight with everything they have and never, never give up.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 06-20-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
hey you guys misunderstood. Coles book would have NOTHING to do with 930's!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930;6087494
[B
Win:[/B]

Where have you been bud? Haven't heard much from you lately. Give us an update on what you've been up to. I have missed your input, your opinions are always a real assett and add needed sence to the confusion.
Working, traveling for work, and family. Just trying to get my suspension project done in the little spare time I have so I can drive the beast this summer!

Makes me look like a pansy-ass, with all you've been through, and you've still managed to get this far!

I like where this going, and can't wait to see it running!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Win,

Your not a pansy ass at all, it's that I cheat !!!!

When I was doing Chemo I moved my office home so I could continue working and have never moved back to the main office. The Sled is approximately 8 feet away on the other side of the wall from where I'm working. Makes it pretty easy to sneak over there when I have a little time during the day.

Now with the Turbo placement pretty well done I can get the CIS moved. I have all my lines and fittings and I'm going to try to use an old AC compressor perch to mount the CIS on. Once I get the brackets I need fabed up the fuel lines will be easy.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 06-21-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: