Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.71 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I have also started relocating the CIS; (Me and my bright ideas !!!)

Original 934's had CIS, a standard air to air intercooler mounted vertically, and a flat fan. The CIS was relocated to the right side of the engine compartment just above the center mounted Turbo inlet.

In my quest to do the same with the Sled I had to forgo the $15,000 flat fan for the fan in the stock location which in turn leaves little room to place the CIS correctly. I cannot get the CIS back far enough to line up the intake pipe because the fuel head hits the oil filter.

So the next project becomes relocating the oil filter. Thought I would post the relocation so others could use the information if they choose to run a relocated filter assy.

The filter can be removed and there are filter block off plate available that screw on in place of the filter to seal off the filter outlet. The block off plate still sticks out too far so I just now got back from Arlo's Welding & Crematorium.

Wala, one oil tank with filter blockoff.

Add a little bed liner spray on and let her dry over night:

I purchased a Peterson canister filter console and mounted it:

Cut a couple holes and fab up some hoses and we are good to go:

Now I'll get the tank back in and we'll get that CIS relocated !!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 07-04-2011 at 11:46 AM..
Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
Nice welding for a crematorium

You are making a unique car - very nice.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Trying to make good use of the 3 day weekend by getting something done. It seems as if things have been two steps forward and three steps back lately. I got the oil filter relocation done and the filterless oil tank back in. Started test fitting the CIS relocation and now have some mounting brackets to fab up to get it mounted.

Making the brackets made me think about the CNC'd works of art that "The Horsepower God" makes for mounts. At "Cole's Sweat and Bloody Knuckles" it's a bench vice, a cordless Makita, and a big ball peen hammer. Makes one reflect on ones choices made in one's misspent youth.

Now we've got some room !!!!!

Getting closer to building fuel lines and that's a sign of being over the hump.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

I was told it couldn't be done !!!!! 3 Qts. of S--- in a 1/2 Gallon Jar.

YESSSSS !!!!!

"Perseverence and a Little Sweet Oil"

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 07-04-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Old 07-04-2011, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Now that's Ol' School trick!

Talk about easy access to the mixture screw!.............LOL
Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

God damn son! Cole you sick sick dick man after my own heart! I knew you were on a project but I did not catch or recall you going this hardcore! I like it. You get that cookie cutter zork?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Mick !!!!!!

You must be back on earth. Good to hear from you.

This is the latest great adventure in my quest to get the Sled up and going. I did get the cookie cutter and posted pictures earlier in this post. Also fabricated a 934 style engine yoke and got the factory headers and center mount Turbo bolted up. I'm waiting for my wastegate pipe. I'm having Brian weld up the header to wastegate pipe up for me. Its just a short pipe with a V band flange, expansion bellows and a wastegate flange. It will bolt on the engine yoke to help stabilize the wastegate assy. Ala 934 below.

Once I get the WG pipe from Brian I'll bolt everything together and have Brian do my zork and WG pipe. The cookie cutter is the icing for the cake, it is way cool. And then RSRFAN sent me a serious old school air intake hat for the air metering assy. that's off an old race car. I'll use it to fab. a dual cold air intake, it's killer.

I'm waiting on some fittings and I'll start making up the fuel lines.

Hope you're well buddy and great to hear from you !!!!!

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 07-04-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Dude Doc needed this instead of the Delorean haha! It looks way mental which is super cool! I dig it.
I knew you were on a major project but heck man " this is no small dealio " haha! Glad it's coming together man.
I'm on vacation at the moment that's why I can post haha! Back to being a slave on Tuesday!
Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

here is a goody for you...

PORSCHE 911 930 TURBO CARRERA RACING HEADERS ? | eBay
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

E Man:

Now that's seriously cool. A set up like that would need a lot more motor than the Old Guy can afford. The Old Sled consists of a $150 set of slightly used SC cams and a bunch of horse traded for bolt ons. Going to be a nice little lite to lite car but will never be in a class like that.

Cole
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Amazing to me how some people view a car as just a car, whereas we view them as part of a lifelong journey. Other people would say we were nuts but to us this passion makes perfect sense.

Cole - love your Grand-Dad's expression. I'm going to be teaching this one to my son.

"You don't have to be a Doctor, a Lawyer, or an Indian Chief, how you treat your fellow man on a day to day basis is how you leave your mark"
Mods include: Kokeln IC, GHL Headers, Hooligan muffler, Modified K27 7200, BL WUR, LC-1 & XD-16, Bilstein Sports (4), TRG sway bars, Oversize torsion bars, Strut brace
Old 07-29-2011, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Hey Cole,
Anything new? I finally finished all the house projects but there is no money left for car projects that damn deck cost 5000 wow I had no idea!

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Blk Bird:

I agree it's an amazing hold these old cars have on us, They definitely cast their spell on Ya !!!!!

I'm glad you liked my Grandfathers wisdom, I was about 8-9 when he told me
that and I have never forgotten it. And I THANK YOU !!!! It's nice to know it will be passed along and not lost.

G Man:

Wonderful job my friend !!!! Kids love a pool, keeps them from robbing liquor
stores.

Just ordered a new TurboKraft Custom IC for the center mount Turbo. Waiting
for some exhaust pieces to come in so I can wrap up the Turbo mounting. Have some odds and ends fittings comming for fuel lines and then I'll get the CIS permantly mounted. Getting close !!!!

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 10-07-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Old 07-29-2011, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Well we've sourced and received some of the bits we needed to proceed and the wastegate pipe, it had Brian and I both scratching our heads. I'll be taking it out to Aloe's tomorrow to get it welded up.

Started to install the fuel distributor and had to change the angle on the oil filler neck to make a little room.

Correctly located where the Turbo intake pipe will come up.

Fabricating a proper perch for the CIS so it sits level and will be easily removable
and set out of the way for valve adjustment without having to remove any of the fuel lines.

Had to make some supports with vibration mounts for the CIS.

Fits good, sits level, good clearance for everything else, and can get at the oil filter.

Lines up with the Turbo pipe all we need is a coupler and another elbow.

A little paint and button things up and we will be building fuel lines !!!!!!

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 08-07-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Looks good Cole. With the driver and battery on the left side your moving all that stuff over to the right side is probably good for weight distribution.

Whats the shiny aluminum box up next to the oil filter? It looks like it has a fluid level tube in the side.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

As usual a work of art from you looks good I cant wait till you can drive it.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 08-07-2011, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Mr. Jim:

That's the catch can. Has a nice little sight glass and a petcock with a hose running underneath the engine. Easy to see and easy to empty.

McGiver:

Thank you. With a metal break and a plasma cutter you get works of art with a cutoff wheel, ball peen hammer, and a bench vice you do the best you can with what
you have.

Chris at TurboKraft ordered the parts for my new intercooler:
3.0"x24"x12", 864in^3, 1,286cfm / supports up to 735+hp set up for center-mount Turbo with a right side inlet and should cool the sled just fine.

Can't wait to see it. Ifeel like a kid waiting for Xmas.

Cole

Last edited by cole930; 08-21-2011 at 08:13 AM..
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Looks awesome Cole.
Your an inspiration.
Well done mate.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Cole,
Your CIS relocation looks really good. Not easy to do but with your preservence you are making it happen! Keep it up and oh yeah thanks for your hospitality last week and your wife's a great cook!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Subscribed. Wow what a great thread and great work.

I must first thank Todd for introducing me to Cole, and Cole it was an absolute pleasure speaking with you this weekend. You sent me in the right direction and gave me the encouragement to keep troubleshooting. Glad to say I think I got it, now to move forward.

I too share the same passion for these cars as all of you do. I did the many years of window shopping myself and still to this day do not think I would own a 911, if it hadnt been for a local Dr who just about gave the car the me (very reasonably priced) because he could tell I had the same passion as him and knew I would take care of his car. (He would also be very ecstatic if he knew I was slapping a turbo on it!)

I have been a subscriber to BMW, Benz, Mustang, Cadillac and even Hyundai (yes my mom loves her Sonata) forums and they do not even come close the knowledge base and great guys that hang out here.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: