Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garretson polished long neck intercooler for sale

Thought I'd mention it here for the turbo guys.
FS: Garretson long neck polished intercooler with hand made end tanks
Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
HI
PM sent
Current car:
1987 930 RUF BTR clone
Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Man Jim, I just got my SN Garretson for not much less than that. I _should_ buy yours and sell mine so I can scrap my BPV manifold.

SHOULD

Ugh - too much going on right now. You need to sell this month or can you wait a month?

You got a PM or 2 anyway, if those don't pan out pls keep me in mind 8-)

GL!

Oh... so what are you going with???

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi Paul,
I think it's sold, I'll know later today.

I really like this intercooler... but I bought a used Kokeln a couple months ago figuring I'd sell it for what I paid for it if I don't like it or keep it and sell the Garretson for what I have into it to recoup the cash.

I sanded down the rough cast finish on the kokeln end tanks till they were flat and smooth and polished it to a shine. took some time and it came out real nice.

The kokeln core is the same thickness and width as the garretson and 2" longer front to back and if what they say on their website is true it's a little more efficiant than the other aftermarket halfbay intercoolers out there, other than the new Fabspeed intercooler.
I hope thats true since I decided to keep the Kokeln and sell this one. Neither of them are made anymore and I think the Fabspeed and B&B are the only 4" thick halfbay intercoolers made anymore. I don't know if Andial still sells them new or if Garretson still makes them for Andial if they do.
Only thing I don't like about the kokeln is it's heavier than the garretson because it's a little bigger and the cast aluminum end tanks are alot thicker aluminum than the garretson's formed aluminum sheet end tanks.

Kinda hate to get rid of it because it's a nice one and becoming a collector item since Bob Garretson passed some years ago but my plan was to sell one of them when I bought the kokeln that I didn't actually need and it doesn't do me any good sitting around collecting dust.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Cool!

Agreed w/ all of what you wrote. Great points all around.

Ask the potential purchaser if he really needs the LN or if a SN would work - never know 8-). If a SN better suited his needs but was going to 'make a LN work', maybe we could work something out (yeah I'm going out on a limb here)...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

intercooler

Hey Jim, Nice looking intercooler! Smoken hot deal also. I have a couple hundred more into mine, and doesn't look as good. I will also mention that the cooling fins of the core look nice and straight. Some of them you see are all banged up which is not good for air flow, or looks either. Good luck with your sale. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo install in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

intercooler is sold

thanks for all the replies,
Jim
Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
thanks for all the replies,
Jim
Is this also a Garretson? the in pipe seems different than yours. It was for a 1977 non intercooled one when it was almost new.i have not inspected it carefully. Any place where there is Id# etc?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Yes it is, same core and fabricated end tanks with different mounting bracket(s) and inlet pipe to fit that year car.
The fittings on the rear end tank were probably different too so. Over the years I've seen pictures of 4 or 5 different style garretson halfbay intercoolers for different year cars. Some are long neck and some are shortneck.

I remember one really nice full bay garretson longneck intercooler for a 930 CIS manifold and throttle body that sold for $1250 on ebay. That was a very good price and it had hand fabricated smooth sheet aluminum end tanks that would have polished up real nice.

i've never seen an ID tag or label on a Garretson. Only seen Andial on the intercooler garretson made for andial.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I just want to share my intercooler happiness after buying it from Jfairman, nice guy very knowledgeable; the intercooler was far better than the pictures, its a masterpiece, thanks Jim I appreciated the price and help that you gave me.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

It was a pleasure meeting and selling it to you. I know you'll appreciate it.

That short 8mm bolt and washer for the back bracket I had for you was in the back of my car when I got home... sorry I misplaced that while we were talking.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

i've never seen an ID tag or label on a Garretson. Only seen Andial on the intercooler garretson made for andial.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to pick your brain like this but does this one look like an early Garretson made for Andial that you refered to?, It also was made for a pre intercooled 1977 930. If not anyone have an idea who made it?

Last edited by voitureltd; 06-21-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've seen that pic when you or somebody posted it before. Thats one of the ones I was thinking of...
I can only guess that it was made by Garretson, it looks similar to the other halfbay intercoolers.

Thats a rare one, it looks a little bigger and wider than the others I've seen pictures of.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche2217 View Post
I just want to share my intercooler happiness after buying it from Jfairman, nice guy very knowledgeable; the intercooler was far better than the pictures, its a masterpiece, thanks Jim I appreciated the price and help that you gave me.
That looks like a great charge air cooler you bought.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I've seen that pic when you or somebody posted it before. Thats one of the ones I was thinking of...
I can only guess that it was made by Garretson, it looks similar to the other halfbay intercoolers.

Thats a rare one, it looks a little bigger and wider than the others I've seen pictures of.
Yes, it has a notch back whale tail for it to fit under.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: