Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Heat for Rarly8 headers by chance

I have just had some headers from Brian installed and he is not done with the production of the bolt on heater boxes.

By chance does someone have anything that will fit they are either not using and want to part with, or have a design i could have fabbed? I guess in my newbie knowledge i did not realize this meant no heat in the car period.

Gets cold pretty quick in Calgary and no heat at this point will make my driving pretty limited and once we hit September will be done!

Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
trade ya for my Powerhaus's w/ heat?

8-)!!!

I think if it were an easy solution Brian'd have it nailed already. Sorry...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

A guy took some flexible stainless steel exhaust tube about 2 1/2 inch size and hose clamped it to his headers to make heat enough to defrost. You could do this for a temp. solution but would not do this for a long time as it could cause unwanted corrosion on the headers.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
... but would not do this for a long time as it could cause unwanted corrosion on the headers.
Why will a stainless tube over the stainless headers cause the headers to corrode?
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The temp fix is what Brian suggested and I....hope....it is being worked through from my mechanic. Thanks for the help and I will update.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am almost done with Brians heat exchangers should have something done by the end of the week.

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i should have said a working prototype V 2.0

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Why will a stainless tube over the stainless headers cause the headers to corrode?
They wont if they are both and the hose clamp are 321 stainless but even 2 different types of stainless will dis-similar metal corrode in the presence of heat that is a problem we have to be careful with in nuclear power plants.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb911 View Post
I am almost done with Brians heat exchangers should have something done by the end of the week.
Best news I have heard all day. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We are working diligently on the exchangers but will not release until completely satisfied.
In the mean time a real quick/cheap/easy fix is to use a length of corrugated aluminum pipe such as what already exists exiting the fan shroud of your engine. Nest this flexible tube next to the header and connect the ends to your existing heater hoses. Secure with clamps and you're done. 15 minute job that costs very little.
It is important to use aluminum as it transfers heat quickly and will not abrade the 321 during vibration. My exchangers will also be made of aluminum.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
... but even 2 different types of stainless will dis-similar metal corrode in the presence of heat that is a problem we have to be careful with in nuclear power plants...
The EMF between dissimilar stainless steels would be so low that corrosion shouldn't be an issue in the automotive application, especially if it is a temporary solution.
Nuclear service presents much more severe conditions and criticality so it may not be a valid comparison.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
The EMF between dissimilar stainless steels would be so low that corrosion shouldn't be an issue in the automotive application, especially if it is a temporary solution.
Nuclear service presents much more severe conditions and criticality so it may not be a valid comparison.
Actually the conditions on the car are really more severe than the primary system of a nuclear power plant, the temp. extremes are similar and the primary system has a very carefully controlled chemical environment not anything like the weather extremes the headers endure not to mention the heat soak extremes I believe metallurgy wise it is a very valid comparison, stress cracking in SS only needs temps over 200 deg. and chlorides which are naturally present and the wrong type of metal in contact with it. I would only do it for however long it takes to get the heat exchangers on there.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

+1 better fix for a temp. solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
We are working diligently on the exchangers but will not release until completely satisfied.
In the mean time a real quick/cheap/easy fix is to use a length of corrugated aluminum pipe such as what already exists exiting the fan shroud of your engine. Nest this flexible tube next to the header and connect the ends to your existing heater hoses. Secure with clamps and you're done. 15 minute job that costs very little.
It is important to use aluminum as it transfers heat quickly and will not abrade the 321 during vibration. My exchangers will also be made of aluminum.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I picked up my car today.....thank god. Shot out to Brian. His stuff is unreal and the shop that installed it was amazed by the quality. Not to mention the support from Brian himself was ridiculously good. He truly loves his work. I have the temp heat and seems to work well. Looking forward to bringing Rarlyl8 to the great white North!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Very cool enjoy
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: