Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.0 turbo and 915 trans

I have a 77 turbo with a 915 trans in it. When I acquired it, it also had an "S" engine in it and all worked fine. I have acquired a 3.0 turbo engine to put in the car. My brother is doing the mechanical work and successfullly attached the trans to the engine and jacked them into the car. When attempting to depress the clutch pedal it would not move. The engine is back out of the car and everything appears to have been done correctly. He is currently researching this.

I talked to a Porsche mechanic who is certian that there is "something" that is special about hooking up this engine/transmission combination, but so far has only come up with the flywheel, which needs to be a 911 flywheel, not a turbo one. We were not aware that there was a difference, but we used the one off the "S" engine anyway because it was in much better shape. I see that the part numbers are different. I learned something new.

The question then, is, what is the secret to making these two work together? i would really like to drive the car.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ring gear

The ring gear may be the issue. That is the removable starter ring bolting to the flywheel.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
My guess is you did not engage the two throwout bearing paws in the slot as you mated the engine and trans.

Last edited by copbait73; 06-21-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
This what the 915 looks like in front of a 3.0 liter Turbo. No different than any other 911 motor. With the 3.0 turbo, you use a 6 bolt 911 flywheel, standard 915 clutch assembly and pressure plate. You should also be using the correct clutch cable, clutch fork and omega spring. All of this is no different than what you had with the "S" engine. As already suggested, make sure the fork is engadged in the throw out bearing

1977 930 (recently sold)
1976 911S , 1973 1/2 911T, 1972 911E (long gone)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess p View Post
The ring gear may be the issue.
Its the 915 ring gear. We are not sure how it could be an issue. Can you say more about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73
...throwout bearing...
Yeah, we thought of this too. Its been checked at least 3 times, in and out of the car. We believe its right. We will certainly check it again before the next assembly attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie 77 930
6 bolt 911 flywheel, standard 915 clutch assembly and pressure plate. You should also be using the correct clutch cable, clutch fork and omega spring...
Nice picture, the trans looks brand new! Mine looks like that out of the car too, although not as shiny. Check on flywheel, clutch assembly etc., all 915.

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: