Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New plugs installed and still the same thing. Unless someone has another simple test/check then I'll have to wait for that gauge at this point I don't know what else to look at.

Another idea, is the WUR clean-able? What I mean is can I take it off and take it apart and visibly inspect the inside and/or clean it out and re-install it or actually see the diaphragm if it's broken or not?

Here's another idea. Can I start the car and unplug the cold start valve and see if it clears up? How could I test that cold start valve so I can rule it out...

I also have an old cap and rotor I'm going to put back on to see if there's an issue with spark.

Last edited by wcc; 06-22-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Sit tight until you get the gauge to check the control pressures. You at one point mentioned fuel smell....could be the result of raw unburned gas escaping the exhaust, or as RarlyL8 metiioned you may have a ruptured diaphram in the WUR. There should be a vent line that goes from the WUR to the airbox for just that purpose (to vent to atmosphere so the diaphram works correctly, and in the event of a rupture to vent the escaping gas to some place safe). Certainly your plugs may now be fouled from the rich running - whatever the cause - but cease and desist on spending any more time and $$ until you've checked the pressures.
Damn these cars, don't you just love 'em? If all else fails and your mood is about to go postal, just get the wife to crank on things and you'll feel better.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Sit tight until you get the gauge to check the control pressures. You at one point mentioned fuel smell....could be the result of raw unburned gas escaping the exhaust, or as RarlyL8 metiioned you may have a ruptured diaphram in the WUR. There should be a vent line that goes from the WUR to the airbox for just that purpose (to vent to atmosphere so the diaphram works correctly, and in the event of a rupture to vent the escaping gas to some place safe). Certainly your plugs may now be fouled from the rich running - whatever the cause - but cease and desist on spending any more time and $$ until you've checked the pressures.
Damn these cars, don't you just love 'em? If all else fails and your mood is about to go postal, just get the wife to crank on things and you'll feel better.
Yup, plan on sitting tight now. Now that you elaborated what Brian was talking about I believe it is a ruptured diaphragm. Just because the vent hose you speak of is over flowing with fuel. I'll wait and confirm with gauge test. I like to tinker with stuff so no biggie. Only issue I have is summer is so short here and had this happen in oct-nov I wouldn't be in such a hurry. I did tell the wife since last year the car barely got out of the garage I was gonna be doing more with it this year, but this isn't what I meant.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

If there is gas in the approximately 4" long vent hose from the WUR to the air cleaner housing the metal diaphram inside is definately leaking and needs to be replaced. There's no other way it can fill up with gas and that's a fire hazard.

I'd try and get in touch with Brian Leask and send it to him for a rebuild and make it adjustable. Hopefully he's still doing that.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
the vent hose you speak of is over flowing with fuel
There is no need to go any further, you are done. Blown diaphragm.
I am out of rebuilt WUR's at the moment but will have more in stock in a couple weeks.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Yes, that's the hose from the WUR to the air box. It's full of fuel.

Okay, so RarelyL8 - I know we talked not long ago about the possiblity of doing a top end with your SC cams when the time comes. Since I have to replace/rebuild this part now I would like to keep my future project in mind. What is the best direction to go with this thing? I want to stay CIS. Let me know the cost as well please, PM me if you don't want to post info out here.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
I have a used good wur you can use while you wait for yours to be modded/repaire/replaced. I know what it's like not to be able to drive the car when the weather is nice.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

That would be sweet! But I would feel horrible if something happened to it. Mine gave essentially no warning. Maybe I could buy it off you? Send me a PM with some info.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Infidel

Whatever you decide to do, when you get the WUR rebuilt get it made adjustable! Especially if you are going to improve the car with cams etc. It's not expensive and will give you complete control over the fuel

Adjustable 930 WUR Website
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
wur is in the mail, you'll have it on Monday. Now send yours out to get repaired and made adjustable
Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Thanks a ton fletcher0780! I'll let you know when it arrives.

I also just put in a call to Brian Leask and left a VM since RarelyL8 is out of stock. Maybe I'll send him an email tonight if I don't hear back today. Hopefully he returns my call soon to get the ball rolling on that end.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Ok, like I mentioned earlier I like to tinker with stuff. So today while I'm waiting on Fletcher's WUR to show up I thought I'd get mine off so it's ready. So I did, but then this part looks so simple I thought why not take it apart and see what's inside. I did find a few pieces of varnish sitting in there that I took out. I can see how I could get the rest of the guts out and then there's only four little screws at the bottom. I assume that's where that diaphragm is located under those. I suppose it's not as easy as taking it apart and removing it and dropping in a new one but it seems pretty simple to me. I wish I had an ohm meter to test the heating element. Any ways I was really surprised that it wasn't nearly as dirty as I thought it was going to be. Here's some pics...

Is The Diaphragm Under These Screws?

The Debris I Removed...

I dunno, if you have any tips or advice for me at this point let me know. I'm still waiting to hear back from Leask.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I was going to tell you about the WUR for sale here but by the time I sat down, it was sold!!

Glad to see you're on your way to getting here running again. I'm heading out in a bit to try out my new gearbox lube. I swapped out the Swepco for Kendall last night.

Wayne
Old 06-25-2011, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Haha View Post
I was going to tell you about the WUR for sale here but by the time I sat down, it was sold!!

Glad to see you're on your way to getting here running again. I'm heading out in a bit to try out my new gearbox lube. I swapped out the Swepco for Kendall last night.
Let me know what you think of that Kendall I was curious about that as well.

Here's another picture I just took. Everything looks pretty good in here so not sure where the problem is located. Unless it's under those 4 screws as I mentioned in a previous post or the heating element is bad.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

So far, I saw no appreciable difference in the gearbox. I'll probably run it for 1000 miles or so and then change it again.

I can't help you with the WUR as I've never had one apart. Remove the screws and see what you find. Just be careful with any gaskets.

I don't see any holes/tears in the diaphraghm which would be an obvious issue.

Wayne
Old 06-25-2011, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
this should help... I believe the diaphram is on the top right [has a slight u-shaped bend]

Old 06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Thanks for the pic mooney265. I found the diaphragm under those four small screws. It looks to be ok but it does have a couple dimples in it. I can't see any tears or holes in it. But they could be so small I just can see them. Here's a couple pics of it.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
i think dimples are bad... Shannon
Old 06-25-2011, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher0780 View Post
wur is in the mail, you'll have it on Monday. Now send yours out to get repaired and made adjustable
PM Sent...

I received the WUR today and installed it. Started right up and smoothed out to a nice idle. I rev'd it up a couple times and it's nice and smooth with no black smoke. Now I'll double check AFRs and adjust the idle since I replaced the AAR hose. This is GREAT to be back on the road for the summer. Thanks to fletcher0780 letting me borrow this part!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I finally got around to checking the afrs. I set them at 13.5 idle and on boost it shows low 11s and cruising is stays at mid 13s. The low 11s seems to rich to me, are these numbers ok?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: