Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Nitrous in 89 3.2

Has anyone tried or using nitrous in a 3.2 carrera? I'm thinking of setting it up to inject when the throttle is 3/4 open ie. throttle switch closes.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

This will get interesting...
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi carrera 1989! Many years ago i had a 79 3L sc with a fresh motor,no mods other than arp rod bolts and a nice sport muffler. The car was very nice but i was tired of all the late model cars out there being able to beat my beloved 911 in any sort of spirited driving. I installed a 75hp nitrous kit and it transformed the car. Hows 12.7sec quarter mile sound! Eventually the engine wouldnt take it any more and so ended the experience. I can tell you that you will be shocked by the performance gain,its amazing. However the nitrous tank does run out and the car will feel slow without it,plus a stock engine wont like the abuse... Maybe if i had my time again id run a 50hp shot and be happy with that. Interestingly the stock clutch and gearbox were fine. Good luck and keep us all informed!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

nitrous in 3.2

Hi Andy 930,

Nice to hear I'm not alone. How long did the engine last before it gave up? May I ask which kit you installed?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

What do you mean the engine gave up?

Properly tuned, the NOS should not have any real negative side effects.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well, as we know nitrous is a form of chemical supercharging to make more power. My kit was an aussie kit that delivered the whole amount every time the throttle was wide open. This isnt ideal,although, spectacular is the only way to describe the hit. There are many computor controlled kits now available that can deliver the nos and fuel in stages,almost seemlessly power delivery,this makes for much longer engine life. Also it seems to eat spark plugs so check the plug type recommended for nos application. Once you get used to the power you will want more and more.... Be careful,its addictive,expensive and sour when it goes wrong.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nitrous

Andy 930

Were you using a wet or dry setup. If wet, how many solenoids did you use
and did you alter the timing. Some people use nitrous on turbo engines just to
get the turbo to spool faster.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I have had a bit of experience with NOS. Many people run it in under the carb with a small plate and nozzle on V8s. The more efficient method is to run it direct port with the nozzle in the manifold just above the intake port on each cylinder. This is the best system for a six cylinder engine as your NOS/fuel control is better. I ran a six with this system and found it to be very efficient and reliable. If your going to do it, start small and be prepaired to run an extra fuel pump for safety. Having it set up to come on at 3/4 throttle is a bit of a waste, as its real benefit is in the lower RPM for acceleration. This is why turbo drag racers tend to use the gas off the start line and first 60 feet to get the car moving, then let the turbo take over. If you want to use more than 50or70hp kit drop your CR or KABLAMO. If it was me, just put a small turbo on it and enjoy the extra power full time. NOS is great for drag racing but the danger is real to the engine, porsches aint cheap to rebuild. Good Luck. Vas.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

nitrous in 89 3.2

After more research, I found most systems recommend nos injection after 3000rpm and at WOT. Then the extra charges for refilling the bottle at 2-5 bucks per pound - and a 10pound bottle will not last long. Perhaps nitrous is one of the cheapest ways to add more power, but really not best solution for daily driver.

I am also considering a supercharger - and I'm following some existing threads on the subject, but there is no "Kit" for sale anymore that I know of.

I have some experience with turbo's but then how do you retard timing with the motronic?

Is there a turbo "Kit" available for 89 carrera?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Nitrous

The company in tenn. That made superchargers for 911 is now defunct. One
could design their own. The most difficult part of the conversion is the mounting
bracket. There are small superchargers that look like a turbo and in most cases
I've seen these applications successful with the only addition of larger fuel
Injectors. Take a look at power dyne superchargers on eBay.I bought one for
$50 and spent another $100 on a new belt and bearings.

Dry nitrous, without the addition of extra fuel is good for 35-40 hp. Any more
requires additional fuel, solenoids. What I like about nitrous and superchargers
is that it's an on or off. Flip a switch or turn a knob.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Turbo 3.2

Carrera1989

There is a thread somewhere here where a guy with a 3.2 added his own
turbo kit and out accelerated a z06 vette.

He says he just kept the boost low. Do a search,very interesting reading.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
N2O only makes more power by allowing more fuel to be burned. It is not like Nitromethane which is both fuel and Oxygen in one. Thus, you really should use extra fuel injectors. At the very least you will need to increase the duty cycle on the current injectors.

You should only inject the N2O at wide open throttle. Otherwise, you do not require any more power than the motor can already give. Once you get to full throttle, then you are saying your tires can hadle more power.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
NOS without the extra fuel, of any type is a bad idea. Engines built for nos start with a low comp. Plenty of people have turbo charged the 3.2 with great results.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

If you don't mind me asking, I am a little curious in sort of conditions you'll be using this set up? I really only see it pragmatic for two conditions a high speed run, something like a 55mph-to-155mph or possibly for drag racing.

I would't use NOS, a low pressure forced induction route would be good. However the 3.2 is a nice motor, spend a little on gearing and you can have things well sorted.

I think you'll feel excited the first few times, then disappointed. Someone with a properly built motor or forced induction set up will time hold a greater consistancy over a greater duration and set of conditions.

Good luck -
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

nitrous

More power can be made simply by the addition of nitrous, limited to about 35-40 hp

Think about it, you are adding more oxygen. That is what a turbo or a supercharger
does. The engine is simply an air pump and can only pull in so much air,naturally
aspirated. Dry nitrous ( simply without more fuel) provides additional oxygen for
combustion. This is why ou are limited to 35-40 hp, otherwise a too lean condition
will occur.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess p View Post
otherwise a too lean condition
will occur.
I was basing my statement on the premise that the car was running at "optimum" air/fuel ratio and that one wished to maintain that. If one had tuned the air/fuel ratio for maximum power with air, then injected nitrous, there would be no more power. If one was rich and then injected nitrous, the AFR would be leaner so more power but I was thinking the user would not be so stupid as to let it get out of hand.

The cooling effect of the nitrous also helps add power by cramming more air in, but again the energy is released from the fuel so if the fuel is already being burned as well as possible (best power AFR) then there will be no more power.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Jess P. Having had experience with NOS I was just trying to save the man from a disaster. Unless you have some way of adding extra fuel with the gas, its not a good idea. Even a small amount can make the engine run lean and cause a disaster. You also have to think about the bottle pressure, it can alter dramatically with the temp, thats why you run small electric blankets on the bottle with a pressure gauge. I have seen the result of a lean mixture and NOS, so be careful with it.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I'll say it:

DON'T DO IT!

Rebuilding these motors are very time consuming and costly.

But, if you do, you will have the cleanest combustion chambers and piston crowns of just about any air-cooled engine out there.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: