Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New 930 owner; have ???, o2, connectors, tensioners, smile

I just picked up a '80 930 that hadn't been driven much in the last twenty years. It ran okay but still had minor issies. So the plan is to make sure it was road worthy and do the following:

test compresion - done; from 122psi to 128psi cold
check head studs - done
adjust valves - done
replace oil sending unit (bad) and oil switch leaking) - done
replace plugs, wires, cap, rotor - done
replace bypass valve seals
replace dist vacuum unit - done
replace air pump
replace smashed air tubes
rebuild turbo, had excessive play - done see below
rebuild wastegate
replace engine tin seal
install tensioner safety collars - see below
Paint headlight rings - done
refinish Fuchs
adjust smile gap - see below
recondition leather

Where would the stock o2 sensor be connected along the exhaust and where is the plug to connect it electrically?

While I was dissasembling, I found these two plugs not connected to anything. Can anyone tell me what they are for:

Getting ready to install the safety collars. How do my chains, sprokets, tensioners look?

Is this gap between the smile and accordion normal? If not, is what's causing it?

Here's the freshly rebuilt turbo. Went something a little different than the usual K27. Its a zero clearance GT35/3LDZ hybrid. We'll see how this performs. The turbo builder swore I'd like this better than a K27

Last edited by gmendo; 06-25-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Here are some pics of the car when I first brought it home. I only drove the car for a few days but I can say that this is my favorite car so far. Can't wait to get it back on the road!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks to me that those disconnected wires were from the emissions system that was probably gutted. It also looks to me like the accordian just needs to be pryed out and foward a bit. Looks like it is hitting the bumber instead of wrapped over it. Nice stable of cars there.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome to the wonderful, albeit addictive, world of the 930/911 Turbo!

There is an outfit in the Miami area that advertises on ebay that they do the high flow stock turbo rebuilds. Is that who did your turbo? I have been thinking about doing that myself.

That is a nice looking 930!!

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I only drove the car for a couple of days before disassemble and I can already say it's my favorite one.

1986 930 The turbo was done by a local turbo shop in San Bernardino CA.

It appears this plug is for the solenoid valve

And this plug is for the o2 sensor. Am I right?

Thanks again
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Check out this thread starting with post # 10.

First Valve Adjustment on my 930
Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the link oilonly.

Today I replaced my rubber engine tin seal. I noticed my rail was crimped in a few spots. Is that normal or did the previous owner do that in an attempt to hold the seal in better?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well, the car is back on the road!

Put chain covers back on

Painted some tin using high temp engine paint

Installed, AIR injection equipment and buttoned everything back up. I found a Euro catless exhaust that had been gutted. I think I'm going to change the exhaust again though, Even gutted, it's too quiet for my taste.

I fired it up and it ran good...for a few hours. Then it became hard to start and started misfiring (I made a thread about that. BTW, I found Bosch 930 accum's for ~ $180). So I tested the fuel pressures. Sure enough my accumulator was bad. I also suspected the injectors plus bad gas were the cause of the misfiring. The car had a few gallons of old bad gas with a few gallos of fresh gas. So I drained & refilled the tank, replaced the accumulator and swapped out the injectors for a good set. Here's my rig to measure flow to match the injectors to the fuel head.

Put everything back together again and fired it up. It runs great now. Now to move on to cosmetics.

Here are the Fuchs before

Sanded them down, ready to polish

Lip now polished, ready to mask

Masked, ready for paint

After
Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I also took off the bumperetts and Euro impact strips for plain impact strips. I think I like the look. I think I'll leave the bumperettes off and plug the holes. Here are some pics from today

I did run into a small setback after the photoshoot. It was hot today and I had the car idling with the A/C on, All of a sudden I hear a pop, followed by vapor/smoke and hissing. I shut the car off, pop the lid, and I see oil gushing from the spoiler area. Tuns out my A/C line on the driver's side blew a hole. All the other lines looked like they have been replaced due to the fact that they show no cracks while this one was very cracked. I had a bad feeling about this line since day one.

Here's the motor all clean again.

Now to get working A/C again and recondition the leather.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: