Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

78 930 CV joints

i have hardly driven this car over the last many years in spite of substantial modifications, but decided to put it back on the street. as a part of that i decided to replace the boots and repack the cv joints. and, i discovered a couple of ...questions. first the inside boot flanges were bent on both sides as if the axle travel was extreme. i have 30 mm gundrilled torsion bars and bilstein sport shocks and would not suspect that the way the car was driven!..see picture for damaged boot flange, and the cv joint itself seemed sorta wimpy for a 930 and the part number on the cv is 911 333 030 01. can someone confirm that these are the right/wrong halfshafts and CVs and that is why the boot flanges were distorted due to axle movement. thanks for any comments.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

picture of the half shaft

i meant to attach to the above...i believe that i have a proper set of half shafts in my spare parts collection. can someone verify the proper part number.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Early 930 CV joints are thicker and look stronger than the mid eightee's on CV joints. The part number you wrote doesn't go to a CV joint when you copy and paste it into the search bar here. That CV in your picture looks like a thinner one from the mid eightee's on.

They aren't as wimpy as they look though because according to the pelican parts listing here the 993TT uses the same ones and that car has alot more torque and horsepower than a 930.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mine where bent like that. Probably due to when the axle was disconnected and hanging down unsupported. I did not know how fragile they where. I know to support them now.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've only seen them get bent like that when the CV bolts in the CV at the other end come loose and go away leaving the loose CV to flail around under the car doing all kinds of unpleasent things until the driver stops the car. Could have happened to a previous owner.

You can straighten that boot flange enough to mount the boot and clamp, find a used one, or buy new boot flange copies from ebay dunebuggy CV joint vendors.
I don't think new boot flanges are available from Porsche, or Lobro anymore.
I mentioned BMW because I think some of the early 7 series used the same size lobro CV joints made to a slightly looser internal clearance spec than the origonal lobro CV's made for Porsche.

Dune buggies run the CV's at much greater angles because of high ground clearance and they prefer the looser tolerance BMW and aftermarket spec CV joints.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i was thinking that the wrong cvs contributed to the problem. but, i can see that if the axle moved up and down to an extreme angle that it could bend the flange.. ill bet i did it one of the times that i removed the engine over the years. never has been loose when i unbolted them. thanks for the insight. dug out a correct set and am now cleaning, inspecting, and rebuilding with new grease, boots, clamps, and bolts.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: