Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
R.I.P.

chance to upgrade my 3.3 to 3.6

I came across a deal on a 3.6 n/a motor and G50 5speed from a 91 911. Anyone know if that combo will fit in my 86 930 chassis?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I think you have to cut the torsion tube to make room for the G50.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So if I am to understand correctly, you want to go with a 3.6 NA motor in your 86' 930?
Or are you planing to go forced induction on the NA motor and also use the G50?
I just want to be sure I understand it all correctly.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i think the g-50 will fit but i'm not positive the torsion bar tubes for that NA cars that year were set up for a g-50
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
Whats with everyone downgrading their motor lately Two threads above and someone wants to put a 2.7 into a 964

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Thumbs up Not such a crazy idea..

Yep that engine could be made to fit. Engine and conversion bits fairly straight forward and available. Major expenses there are, exhaust, flywheel / clutch and oil cooling.

The G50.52 gearbox from the 91 has the longer nose cone and mount which directly interferes with the torsion tube and beyond. This is a hassle.

The G50 gearbox from 86-89 Carrera is the easier one to deal with. But having a deep bell housing will require clearance conversion operations to get it to fit. Altering the chassis to achieve this seems popular but isn't recommended IMO. The short bell housing conversion is the slick way to go. This way if you ever need to convert back to the original engine, or sell the gearbox, no problems. Chances are the gearbox will need to be freshened up anyways.

E85 tuning optional!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
That's what I'd like to do (shortened G50), but the cost of the conversion is up there. Although it would be nice to go back if ever needed.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Ok, I'll try to field all the questions.

First- yes it will still be Turbocharged

Kraftday- thanks for your reply. Sounds like you've been down this road before.

I failed to mention earlier that the engines comes complete with Wiring, ECU, sensors and we're trying to get the clutch pedal assembly as the trans is hydraulic. But if the trans install will require butchering the chassis I'm going to pass.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Oh can this trans be modified ie: shorten the bellhousing?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Brian is right, the G-50 will fit with shortening of the bellhousing and is the best way to go---I would NOT be butchering the chassis. The 3.6 though, is not as robust as the 3.3 for turbo charging. My choice would be 76.4 stroke with 98mm cylinders on 3.2 heads that have been ni-resisted. That combination seems to be the most reliable.

aws
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post

I failed to mention earlier that the engines comes complete with Wiring, ECU, sensors and we're trying to get the clutch pedal assembly as the trans is hydraulic. But if the trans install will require butchering the chassis I'm going to pass.

Ok...I withdraw my previous comment.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
R.I.P.

I would rebuild the 3.6 with good rods and pistons along with a good valve job before boosting it
Quote:
Brian is right, the G-50 will fit with shortening of the bellhousing and is the best way to go---I would NOT be butchering the chassis. The 3.6 though, is not as robust as the 3.3 for turbo charging. My choice would be 76.4 stroke with 98mm cylinders on 3.2 heads that have been ni-resisted. That combination seems to be the most reliable.

aws
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
The path of the warrior.

Garage
Quote:
I would rebuild the 3.6 with good rods and pistons along with a good valve job before boosting it

Ok...I reinstate my first comment....

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Going with a hydraulic setup isn't that hard, but costs about $2k to do the setup right.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
R.I.P.

well, it looks like the trans would be too much work. I already have a set of Carrillo rods waiting so I may just wait and gather more parts for my rebuild/upgrade down the road...

unless I sell the car
Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:

You could say that..sticker shocking with brutal honesty for years

Getting a fresh G50 SBH into the 930 could be 10-12K easy with all the bits. One for handling 500+tq should cost more for options like gear oil spray-bars / jets, diff, side cover, etc.

That G50.52 could be made SBH but still the nose cone will interfere.

With my experience, stuffing a NA 3.6L into a 911 chassis is usually falls in at 20-25K (w/ engine). Most of these take out engines available are tired and need labor. Turbocharging just added a whole new dimension. Throwing 30K+ at your hot rod engine starts to make more sense.

It sounds like maybe a good start would be hooking up a G50 5-speed.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Well I don't hate the 4 sp, I just thought it could be a relatively "easy" upgrade gaining some displacement and an extra gear. But it seems like a lot less head ache to stick with what I have and just make it better.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

1. Consider how much down time you are willing to withstand, as faster usually requires more budget to some extent. There are a number of packages and firms that provide solutions.

2. Besure that you are commited to the potential extra costs or ( known un knowns. )

3. A lot of things will factor in the final performance. Remember the G50 and 3.6 and extra tid bits will also change the weight of the vehicle. I also thou would't go so far as to say the 3.6 is a down grade. You get a much more sophisticated mangaement system in the 3.6 / ignition system. It's a little like paying now or paying later.

Good luck -
Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Yes, my first thought was the 3.6 is newer and therefore has better flowing heads but a slight speed bump would be tuning the stock ECU for boost. My car is currently EFI that I can tune myself which is a plus.

As for down time, it's so nasty hot and humid down here during the summer that I wouldn't mind it being rebuilt over that time. I guess I'll keep enjoying the car and gathering parts till next summer then start the rebuild over the hot months.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

My opinion is that it comes down to the individual vehicle. People always try to bench mark race and that is a good way of finding yourself oh so disappointed.

It's a double edge sword to be honest. It just depends on which way you prefer the cut.
You know the 930 and can also do a lot of things to continue the evolution of your 930's 3.3.

Yeah we have extreme summers in the South of California. It easily can exceed 120degrees and that just really feels terrible. ( laughs ) You also have pre existing architecture that meets the current demands. I would simply emphasize on making refinement especially over the known areas of inferior performance and durability. Consider maybe up grades to your gearing or possibly a bump in the 3.3's displacement.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: