Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
schmidlapp

Garage
fuel quality?

Had what I thought was a fuel pump issue recently, it was coming off boost suddenly like it was starved for fuel.
AFR guage showed a lean condition even off boost.
This was after I filled up with premium at a BP.
Ran most of that tank and filled up again at a station with non ethanol premium.
Seems that the issue has gone away.
Is it possible that fuel could have caused this or was this just a coincidence?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidlapp View Post
Had what I thought was a fuel pump issue recently, it was coming off boost suddenly like it was starved for fuel.
AFR guage showed a lean condition even off boost.
This was after I filled up with premium at a BP.
Ran most of that tank and filled up again at a station with non ethanol premium.
Seems that the issue has gone away.
Is it possible that fuel could have caused this or was this just a coincidence?
No coincidence, stay away from ethanol fuels
Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I filled up at a local BP recently because the 93 octane was cheaper there than anywhere else nearby when you paid cash. Before that I always filled up at a Chevron staion because it has techron in it.

I started hearing some detonation after that so I think that BP pump may have been pumping lower octane gas then the 93 I selected on it.
The BP pump says the gas is Amoco gas which used to be considered good gas years ago.
Anyway, I'm taking it easy just cruising around until I use up that tank of BP gas and then I'll fill up with Chevron 93 again.

There is one place west of town called Port Consolidated Port Consolidated (800) 683-LUBE that sells non ethanol 91 octane gasoline, Diesel (all grades), Biodiesel, Ethanol, E85, Jet Fuel, Av Gas, Race fuel, Methanol, and Kerosene.

Havn't tried the non ethanol 91 octane stuff because it's lower octane than the common93 octane E10 pump gas and it's more expensive.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have started using the Stabil Marine additive to help w/ ethanol blended gas in both P cars. maybe it's my imagination but i think they are running better.
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Tobias A

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Toby930
They just took away our non-Ethanol V-Power Shell gas here in Sweden Car was running great when Shell offered V-Power 99 octane (RON) with no ethanol. Then like a few weeks ago they replaced it with 98+ octance (RON) with 5% ethanol in it... *argh* This even without telling anyone. Of course Shell has been bought up by ST1 and they have some BS rule from EU that all fuels should contain ethanol in the future.

My 930 is a rather highly tuned CIS and doesn't like ethanol at all. As for now, I have to fill her up at Statoil as they are the only ones here in Sweden offering 98 (RON) octance without any ethanol... For now at least... *sigh*

E10 is comming to Sweden really fast and I'm worried that they will remove out high octane fuels then.

/Tobias
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tobias,

Under such conditions you might consider taking a look at Wanter Methanol Injection. There is a pretty good thread here on it that I started some time back.
We got lots of good input and those using it swear by it. Relatively inexpensive compared to most mods, runs on windshield washer fluid, lowers head and combustion chamber temps drastically, lowers AFR about a whole point, and virtually eliminates detonation.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
schmidlapp

Garage
Just drove her to Iola Wi on Saturday spent a few hours at the old car show.
Put in some more non ethanol 91 octane and it seems to be back totally where it should be.
Is there a fuel system cleaner or treatment that should be run thru periodically?
Right after I bought the car about 18 months ago, i put a bottle of Techron in it since it had been sitting all winter with the PO. The Techron made it belch out some real black nasties out the exhaust. It was almost like chunks of carbon were "dancing around" inside the turbo.
I was afraid to rev it up and ran most of the first tank very gingerly thru. I'm afraid to do the
Techron thing again but am wondering if there is a recommendation?
Thanks in advance....
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I was a Techron user forever, until my mechanic said try MMO-Marvel Mystery Oil.

Use it in my fuel at every-fill up....Best stuff for me and not $$$$
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: