Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Borg Warner Series ERF Turbos

Looks like Borg Warner has really raised the bar for aftermarket performance turbochargers.
Good stuff for those of you who like turbo design details.
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/prod_imgs/installation/ul/install-38.pdf
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
Those look very interesting indeed. I wonder how small they are compared to K16's? If my K16's fail to perform as I want I may look at these.
77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbofrog

IIRC the K27 size ones only offer integral WG.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Looking at the cut sheet they all have integrated WG and BOV's. For my Twin conversion they would make it nice and neat. I am just not sure how big the smallest ones are compared to the K16's I have.
77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Internal WG can be kept closed ....no ?

Very interesting stuff. From what I see, not bolt on however...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No, not a bolt-on.

It all looks good, but I have not seen any back-to-back quantitative data, dyno or otherwise.
The author built a twin-turbo conversion on his 964 (employee of BW IIRC), but no comparison info between his current ERF turbos and his prior K16 or K24 turbos.
A local acquaintance has a top-of-the-line R34 Skyline (V-Spec II?) that's had multiple twin turbo configurations -- and Full Race (also local) built his current large ERF turbo layout (YouTube - ‪R34 Skyline GT-R -- Full-Race Twinscroll turbokit / BorgWarner EFR 8374‬‏). He swears it spools faster than his twin Garrett GT turbos *and* makes more power, but no quantitative data to back that up. (None I've seen, anyway, and his car has been on the Dynapack dyno several times prior with the old turbo configurations.)

Still, I'd love to try one out, see how it does on CIS and EFI engines. On paper, these should blow away just about anything else out there. Should simplify the header fabrication and tidy up installation, too.

Funny how everything old is new again -- not just with the ERF, but all turbochargers right now:
- ported shroud compressor covers -- most medium and large frame diesels have used this for decades, ex: Holset upgrade for the common Cummins diesel
- boost recirculation valve integrated into the compressor cover -- anyone remember the 924 Turbo?
- twin scroll housings -- used for K33s and K36s for the 1980s, and I think Ive seen 934 headers with divided flanges and turbine huosings...
- ball bearings with metal cages -- common on the T04-frame ball bearing turbos; ball bearings are hardly new tech
- extended tip compressor wheels -- another Holset feature for some time now
- undercut compressor wheels -- another old trick used by multiple manufacturers to lighten the comp wheel

The ERF just puts it all in one product. And why not? Other than cost (and these aren't cheap) there's no reason not to incorporate all these design features.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The devil is in the details. No other aftermarket turbo focuses so much effort in making the turbine stage right.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: