Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Muffler/Spool-up question (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/617799-muffler-spool-up-question.html)

bcoats 07-06-2011 01:03 PM

Muffler/Spool-up question

Maybe I'm getting old but have become a bit tired of my dual out Monty muffler, while it has a nice deep growl, it's a bit loud and have my kids have to literally scream to talk to me when driving. Looking to either cap off one side or get a single out muffler. My question is, is there any performance differences between the two, more specifically later turbo spool up? Also, would I be better off selling the Monty instead of welding one side shut?? Thanks for any feedback. Bryce

sundevil64 07-06-2011 02:24 PM

Check out RarelyL8. Brian does some nice work and it's light in weight too. Sell the Monty.

JFairman 07-06-2011 02:47 PM

Summit Racing has different size stainless steel butterfly valves you can install on a second muffler outlet or exhaust pipe to turn it on or off or anywhere in between.
They are opened and closed by a stepper motor and you have a remote switch inside the car to open the butterfly or close it.

If I had your muffler I'd be tempted to cut the other exhaust pipe off at the muffler and install one of these and weld the pipe back on so you could control the volume and backpressure from a switch inside the car.

WPOZZZ 07-06-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcoats (Post 6120078)
Maybe I'm getting old but have become a bit tired of my dual out Monty muffler, while it has a nice deep growl, it's a bit loud and have my kids have to literally scream to talk to me when driving. Looking to either cap off one side or get a single out muffler. My question is, is there any performance differences between the two, more specifically later turbo spool up? Also, would I be better off selling the Monty instead of welding one side shut?? Thanks for any feedback. Bryce

I removed my B&B 4.5" dual out and replaced it with a Fabspeed single out and it has been heavenly! Try capping the right side and see if it makes a difference in sound. If it doesn't, get a single out.

bcoats 07-06-2011 04:31 PM

Thanks for the input, maybe I'll try and sell it and look to get a RarelyL8 muffler and if can't sell then convert to single out. WPOZZZ I also used to have a Weissach, "should have never sold that car". . .

sck007 07-06-2011 07:52 PM

There is a guy looking for a Monty in the 911 used parts for sale on page 4 (today). You may have what he is looking for....I tried to copy link but had no luck...

WPOZZZ 07-07-2011 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcoats (Post 6120537)
Thanks for the input, maybe I'll try and sell it and look to get a RarelyL8 muffler and if can't sell then convert to single out. WPOZZZ I also used to have a Weissach, "should have never sold that car". . .

I actually enjoy driving the Weissach more as it feels much lighter. We also have similar tastes as I had a 91 C2 turbo as well.

What don't you like about the dual out? Is it the loudness or the cabin resonance? The resonance used to drive me batty, and of course, I'd pucker my butt cheeks when driving past police cars. It really wasn't driving by, but more like idling by. lol

bcoats 07-07-2011 09:50 AM

WPOZZZ yes exactly, more about the cabin resonance and of course I also idle by John Law, and thanks for the heads up sck007, I'll check out the other forum

WPOZZZ 07-07-2011 03:34 PM

A friend safety wired about 4 stainless pot scrubbers and somehow affixed them in his tailpipe. He said it helped tone down his muffler. This was on a 1 out 3.2 Carrera.