Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Great job and nice car! I would like to have coilovers in the future.
How would you compare the ride quality(comfort) between stock and coilivers?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Nice job, I did all that a few months ago but with Elephant Racing ploybronze control arm bushings. Also replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends. I kept the stock 19mm torsion bars and didn't powdercoat anything. I cleaned everything in mineral spirits and wire brushed any rust and spray painted the control arms and all parts satin black enamel to keep my cost down. Removed and cleaned the cross member with purple scotchbrite pads and mineral pirits to remove old cosmoline and dirt and left it bare aluminum.

Good to know you can get a $15 socket for the ball joint nut at Advance auto parts.
I borrowed a sir tools cogged socket from a friend and tightened the new nuts on with a torque wrech to 184 ft lbs while everything was installed on the car.
I used a floor jack with a piece of carpet on the pad to hold the torque wrench and socket up on the ball joint nut while sitting on the ground with one leg up over the wrench handle and that legs foot on the inner fender well to push against so didn't pull the car off the jack stands or slide toward the ball joint while pulling on the wrench hard to torque the nut.

Smear some moly grease on the bottom of the ball joint and it's threads so the nut torques on good and the ball joint and nut doesn't corrode as fast where it attaches to the control arm.
Also grease the spindle on the ball joint and the wedge bolt that holds it in the bottom of the strut and all the bolts holding the front suspension to the bottom of the car so they all go in smoothly and dont corrode together.

I used the smaller of the two Prothane universal 22mm sway bar mounts with urethane bushings which fit perfectly and reused the still good rubber bushings in the control arms. Swimming pool pump oring seal clear silicone grease is thick and sticky and works good on the sway bar bushings.

Most frustrating part of the whole job for me was getting that 22mm sway bar back into the rubber control arm bushings.
Smear silicone grease on the sway bar and slide it around 4-5 inches through the control arm bushing on one end and then wrestle with the other end to get it lined up and started in the other side rubber control arm bushing.
Once started in slide both sides to right right position so the 2 pivot mounts line up.

I used monofiliment fishing line between squared off jackstands and a tape measure against my 18" rims at 3 and 9 o clock to set the front toe in to about 1/32" afterwards.
Front end is smoother and alot quieter over bumps now and tighter with all the new parts. I still have to play around with corner balance on level ground to get it better. I have Weltmiester adjustable rear spring plates and Tarret adjustable rear droplinks to make that much easier.

If you decide to save money and do corner balanceing yourself there are helpful threads on the technical forum and disconnect the rear swaybar drop links and 2 front sway bar bushing mounts first to remove any preload. Only thing is you can't adjust side to side preload on the stock front swaybar so maybe there isn't much point to unbolting it's bushings first.
Same thing is true of the stock rear drop links but the Tarret adjustable length rear drop links with spherical bearings take care of that while eliminating the old rubber bushings in the stock fixed length drop links, and they cost about the same as 2 new stock drop links - $125.

Enjoy your newly restored ride. It sure is satisfying to do it yourself isn't it
Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Great job! I 'm sure it will make a huge difference.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

This is a good reference for doing a home alignment. Alignment of Porsche 911
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

really sweet bro - I'm proud of ya!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Thanks guys!

Great tips too JFairman thanks for chiming in. Getting the factory sway back into the car with the control arms in place was a bear! Wow...Required lots of angles and jacking up one side and having the other side lower, grease and muscle

Ride quality is excellent and very smooth and about perfect for a street car. Not too stiff and compliant.

I would like to give a plug to Clint at Rebel Racing, as he was awesome for his technical support, guidance and suggestions. I had numerous questions and he was wonderful. He truly makes great products and beautifully engineered.

Yasin
Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Infidel

Great work Yasin, looks great
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 07-10-2011, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Yes, Clint at Rebel is great. Great write up and great job.

Current cars: 2006 Cayenne TTS, 1991 964 Cabrio, 1997 993TT, 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 07-10-2011, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

How much were you in parts?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Great job. I'm assuming the torsion bars are eliminated with this system?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
You can run coil-overs as supplementary to the torsion bars, using the coil-overs to set ride height but keeping the spring rates low enough so that reinforcements of the chassis are not necessary. If you want to use 935 spring plates and 935 style front A-arms then you cannot run torsion bars. This requires chassis bracing for spirited street and track use.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 07-10-2011, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
How much were you in parts?
Let's just say they add-up quickly by the time you add tie rods, ball joints, all brand new hardware, the Rennline Strut Brace, powder coating. If you visit RSR Racing's website you will get an idea of the cost of the front and rear coilover kits he has available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
Yes correct, torsion bars in the car are on permanent vacation. I am using the rear torsion bars AND the coilovers to supplement and reduce rear squat under hard acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
Yes, Clint at Rebel is great. Great write up and great job.
Thanks and again huge thanks to Clint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
Great work Yasin, looks great
Thanks so much!
Yasin
Old 07-11-2011, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Great Werk!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Excellent write up!
May we know what valving you used on the front Bilsteins?
Rears are stock sport valving?
Is your engine stock? I'm planning on the same conversion, except I'm thinking more spring will be req'd in my rear ... adding 150# springs to my 31mm torsion bars. With ~400Hp I'm getting major squat.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torresmd View Post
Great job! I 'm sure it will make a huge difference.
Thanks Doc!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumba View Post
This is a good reference for doing a home alignment. Alignment of Porsche 911
Thanks for that link, will check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
really sweet bro - I'm proud of ya!
Thanks bro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfk32 View Post
Great Werk!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqcarrera View Post
Excellent write up!
May we know what valving you used on the front Bilsteins?
Rears are stock sport valving?
Is your engine stock? I'm planning on the same conversion, except I'm thinking more spring will be req'd in my rear ... adding 150# springs to my 31mm torsion bars. With ~400Hp I'm getting major squat.
I am around 400hp as well, my engine is internally stock with the typical bolt-ons. I do not the exact the valving on the Bilsteins, I sent the struts to Clint and he took care of that with Bilstein, as he has a close working relationship with Bilstein.

My rears are new Bilstein "Sports" as you mentioned, I did not re-use the Bilsteins greens that came on the car.

If need be I can always swap out the coils inexpensively and go to a stiffer spring, the beauty of coilovers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianDrives View Post
Extremely well done and very writing. This thread will serve an excellent resource for another in a long time.
Thank-you!!!

Cheers - Yasin
Old 07-13-2011, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Pimpim
How much has all this cost you to fix???parts etc etc

Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: