Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Abuser

The ole valve adjust

I'm going to attack my first valve adjustment in the morning and wonder if anyone can give me any secret pointers.Im going to try the back side method and have read the tech on how to do it but am a little nervous. I have done valves on motorcycles before and this appears to be the same so no sweat right! Just bought a new set of feeler gauges this afternoon and am ready to go forth. I'm going to remove the fuse panel ,IC, WG,and anything else that it is the way to give better access on the driver's side. Anything else you guy's would recommend ? Also I need to do a partial engine drop to replace the motor mounts at the same time so what is the best method of going about this or things I may need to look out for? Do I need to disconnect everything as if the assembly was coming completely out, shifter linkage,sway bar,cv bolts,oil lines,etc or is there just enough wiggle room to drop it down enough to get at the mount bolts. There is not enough room to get to the bottom nuts (he he ) on the mounts with the engine support bar ( or whatever you call it ) in the way. All help appreciated ......Ben

Old 07-09-2011, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
+1 for backside method..having a buddy hold the feeler gauge while you're adjusting makes it MUCH easier!

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Hey Ben-

I too just pop'd my valve adj cherry. It's tedious, won't lie to you there 8-).

I found the back side method harder than just sliding the feeler under the elephant foot or whatever. Course I got one that's now ticking, lock nut must have backed off? I'm awesome tho remember.

Tips?

Are you do for an oil change? Gonna loose a good amount when you drop the lower covers. If you're not due, jack up one side and do one side at a time vs. in firing order sequence - will save the oil loss (mostly).

I don't think adjusting the intake valves w/ the motor lowered is necessary / easier. I didn't remove my fuse block, just the intake elbow, and had gobs of room... except for #1 which is sorta biatch. Otherwise it's all pretty easy - again just tedious as heck.

Motor mounts, just did those here too - yes, jack up the car by the center motor, remove the center mount bolts, lower the motor (you can get it ~ 5" down w/o disconnecting anything). Then you can easily replace the mounts.

Good luck, hope yer schwell!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i tried the backside, what a pain in the ass, went back to the "normal" way that I've done for the last 27years. It's really not that bad, you just want a moderate/heavy amount of resistance without having to really force the feeler gauge. You cannot really overtighten as long as you can get the 004 in, you have 004 clearance, but then you tend to tear up the gauge when you adjust them that tight. Just get them with snug drag.

Over the last 27years, and several hundred thousand miles I've driven 911's, I've adjusted the valves to all varying degrees of "loose/snug/tight" and never ever had a problem, other then noisy if they were to loose.

No need to remove the WG, just the IC and the rubber elbow to the plate.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Exactly... the correct little bent handle .004" feeler gauge in between the elephant foot and vale stem is the only way to do it. Takes a little experience sliding it back and forth for and aft in relation to the handle to get it under the elephant foot that likes to pitch sideways a little and make it difficult if they are already a snug .004". Or just loosen them and readjust it if your back is sore and you don't have the patience.
I've tried the "backside method" I read about here and it's ridiculous. You can only get the feel for the right drag while pulling the skinny feeler gauge out because it will just bend while pushing it in. That sucks.

I set them to a snug .004" with the proper feeler gauge and that is the best way for me.
Open the engine lid and look at the origonal tune up sticker on the right side if it's still there. It says, valve lash: intake and exhaust .004" plus or minus .002"
That means a snug .004" which may actually be .003" -.0035" will be just fine.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Thanks for all the Support guy's. I couldn't find the correct feelers for the backside adjustment so I decided to try the standard method. The biggest problem I have ran into is that I am using a electromotive distributerless ign so findind TDC has been a issue. Without the rotor pointing to the correct cyl I cant tell if I am on the right stroke for the adjustment. The crank pully has the notches in it for what I assume are 120 degree references but the only one that is marked is Z1. I have shined a light into each row of plug holes to verify that the piston is at TDC (bottom row of twin plug heads ) but as I said I don't know what cycle it is on,compression,intake,exhaust, or at what point to make the adjustment. All the articals I have read thus far are not clear on this (101 projects,traditional valve adjust,backside method,on this sites tech section) I have read to rotate the engine and watch the intake valve open and close and at that point the cam lobes should be pointing away from the rocker and thats when to make the adjustment but for some reason the cam lobes do not look as they are sitting at the same point on each bank at TDC. After working for 7 hrs on it last night and completely frustrated I stopped and cried into my pillow for the rest of the night. This should not be out of the realm of my mechanical knowledge but for some reason it is giving me a fit. Any additional pointers or anyone willing to come by my home and walk me through it would be greatly appreciated......Still tearing up....Ben
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have done mine twice, once in the car and once when i had the motor out. Back side worked for me. I would be frustrated or happy depending on my mood if i spent that much time adjusting the valves and not getting anywhere. I bought the car to give me something to work on anyway. I think your problem is you are putting to much thought into it. All that matters is that the highest part of the cam lode is facing away from that one rocker you are adjusting. Getting this perfect TDC is not going to happen if you are doing it by yourself. Recheck all when done. Probably will be able to do it by feeling after awhile.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

+1 on giving it too much thought, I just want it to be right and all the info is a little conflicting. So it doesn't matter what stroke the piston is in as long as the lobe is pointing away from the rocker?It was just too hot out here today to mess with it when I got home so I decided to give my nerves and car a rest and will have at it again tomorrow evening.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhg1337 View Post
I have done mine twice, once in the car and once when i had the motor out. Back side worked for me. I would be frustrated or happy depending on my mood if i spent that much time adjusting the valves and not getting anywhere. I bought the car to give me something to work on anyway. I think your problem is you are putting to much thought into it. All that matters is that the highest part of the cam lode is facing away from that one rocker you are adjusting. Getting this perfect TDC is not going to happen if you are doing it by yourself. Recheck all when done. Probably will be able to do it by feeling after awhile.
+++++1 no science.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Just completed my first one. It started about 2 months ago.

Did it the normal way, when around a few time over a week-end in May.

Keep in mind that unlike some member here, it was the first time I ever saw a Valve...

It took me a while to figure out where the blade should slide in... did not help that #1 was apparently tight

My proudest achievement was since I had about 5 spare blade, I did not even broke the original blade.

I sought some expert opinions about how they were. Actually the 3rd opinion (a Porsche vet) said it was not bad but I could see that he tough they were a bit loose.

So, Saturday, I try the backside method and sure enough they were all loose. So I did it again, using the back side method and it went well. I had to go around a few times and when I was happy, I check it against the normal method and the "draging" feel fine.

Could I achieve it using only the normal method, I doutb it as this come with experience and since I'm 50+, time is not on my side. By the way, I had the luxury of having the engine on the wall. My hats of to you guys that do it in-situ in a drive way...

It's too bad that some of you guys can not get these feeler guage. Up here you can get a SAE & Metric sets for less then $5 at our local version of H.F. Tool.

I'm almost back on the road...

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-11-2011, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I've done the valves both ways and I double check them. I actually prefer the backside method. It just seems easier to me. Of course you've probably gotten it all buttoned up by now...
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
I've done the valves both ways and I double check them. I actually prefer the backside method. It just seems easier to me. Of course you've probably gotten it all buttoned up by now...
Agree with you...

Love your Avatar... Snoopy is my favorite character and he definitely has some

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Bill is a prrrreeettty cooooool due...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I am half way in my first go on a valve adjustment. So far I did all the intake valves. It is part of my trouble shooting the engine.

I use the normal method.

For a rookie like me, I found it usefull to put a thin line in the handle of the valve adjustment tool as an indication of how far down it had to go to be able to slide it in. This is especially usefull on the hard to reach valves.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Agree with you...

Love your Avatar... Snoopy is my favorite character and he definitely has some
He's one of my favorites too. Actually a Charlie Brown special was on tonight. Missed most of it though...

Miguel Antonett - Right back at ya...
Old 07-13-2011, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Success!!! well I think. I was able to get out there and spend a little quality time with the ol girl last night and think I have it wrapped up. The main problem I was running into was trying to do one whole side at a time. I decided to just follow the firing order and it went like clockwork.I won't know how it turned out untill this weekend when I can get the rest of the things done and the motor buttoned back up and started. I feel confident though. Thanks for the support group.....Ben
Old 07-14-2011, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

What I typically do is set it to Z1 and go around to all the valves that are loose and can wiggle by hand. Adjust those and write down which ones I did and rotate around and do it again. That way you don't have to rotate, do one, rotate, etc... Takes to long and too many situps. Glad to hear that it's coming along for ya. Keep us posted once you get it all buttoned back up.

On a side note, the wife and I are planning on P2O this year unless something happens between now and then...
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Cool wcc I hope to meet you there and as long as eveything goes as planned the LOWFAT mobile will be there waking up the neighbors!!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

What's P20?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Hey Miguel it's Porsche's To Oxford in Oxford Ohio. Pretty good all Porsche show with usually 400 or more beauties to check out. I'm not real big on the car show thing but this one is always on my to do list for the summer.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: