Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

turbo oil check valve

I'm confused reading the various posts on this.
I have my engine out and trying to do as many tidy up jobs as possible. I note I do not have the ball/spring thing under my idiot oil spitch. It seems to be recommended for turbo oil issues - too much oil? or oil draining back into turbo?
As far as I am aware I have no particular turbo /oil problem - other than the turbo model (3LDZ).
My question is - should I be putting a ball and spring in there - some threads just seem to talk of a ball. If so what size?
Thanks
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
i remember seeing a post on the ball size, i think Ace Hardware sells a size that is acceptable but not precise? if that makes sense. When i had a ton of oil leaks it was suggested to check that as i think it keeps the oil from running back into the turbo and settle there. not sure though.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Alan,

The ball was a stock item in all the turbos and it's 9mm in dia. the spring is not a stock item but is used in instances where excessive oiling is presentin the turbo. The spring is used on top the ball to adjust the flow to an even lesser amount.

Something else you should check is the scavenger pump drive pin for wear. If you need either or both send me your address.

Manual showing installation of the ball:

Worn drive pin:

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 07-11-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Cole - I'll get a 9mm ball then, and omit the spring, since I dont seem to have excess oil problems. That seems to clear it up then - I recall threads talking about the drain back, but then I see threads about excess oil/flow restriction - which would explain the add-on spring to the ball. Think I just need the ball at this point.
Following the Sled progress with interest - things seem to be moving along.
What would we do without these beasts? Spending all my day in my new shed with my bench covered in motor bits at moment. But some time pressure to get it back together too.
Regards
Alan
PS - saw your post on the pump drive pin - checked mine - it is fine.
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I think you can get those parts from turbokraft.
-1978 911 SC TURBO, Minerva Blue Targa 965 update.
-2008 550i M-Sport
Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Many thanks - I'll get the bearing ball local - should be standard issue . Long way for Turbo Kraft to send a ball bearing. Now I know what I need, should be easy.
Thanks
Alan
Old 07-12-2011, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: