Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gas cap stuck - WTF

Weirder than weird this morning, as I pulled in to gas her up on the way to work. The darn gas cap won't pull off. Should be able to turn it a half turn counterclockwise and just lift it off. Something must be toasted under the cap.

So I messed with it for a few minutes, scratched my ass and generally tried to look cool while deciding to just wash the windshield instead of gas up. "Self" I said, "you don't need no stinkin' gas". Hopefully I'll make it home from work today on fumes, then I guess take a crowbar to the cap to peel it off. Any ideas?
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Waterpump pliers.

I've had that happen to me (base tub, including gas filling stuff, 1977 911). Frustrating, though I've always been able to get it loose after a while (the power of positive cursing), although I know my wife would not have been able to do it.

I suspect it is an aging cap gasket which causes this problem. Which suggests the solution, if the gasket is separately available. I have a vague memory of pulling out a gasket which kind of fit from my stock of saved stuff, and don't have the problem.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Put a torch on it

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
The gasket is a separate piece I ordered one recently.
The cap works better now with the new gasket......I think the ratcheting mechanism inside the cap is effected by a bad gasket.
Try pushing down hard while turning it. Good luck.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
girliemon!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've totally lost all faith in my hero's, he can't even take a gas cap off !!!!!!!

I did that once but was smart enough to not tell anyone.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 07-12-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

walk toward the car slowly with big vise grips and a twisted grin while muttering "i'll show you the meaning of respect" in a stoned Bill Murray voice.

thing should spin off on it's own
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

That is weird! Don't mess up the threads or you'll have a bigger problem on your hands. Could you turn it clockwise and make it click a couple times and try again? Good luck!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

First, allow me to state in my own defense as a self-proclaimed master of third world engineering that I have never been stumped by something as mundane as a stubborn gas cap. I blame my episode this morning on insufficient caffein and cigarettes prior to the daily commute.

Second, the "cool factor" was getting in the way of my self esteem at the local Chevron. It just wouldn't do for the perceived spoiled rich focker old man trying to gas up his fancy-pantsy sports car but couldn't even figure how to open the friggin' cap. So, I just kindof sauntered around being cool, having changed my mind on the gas thing in lieu of spashing some vile dirty water on the windshield instead.

I figured I would get some good pointers from y'all. My norm - when stumped like this - is to apply heat, so torching as one of you mentioned was a good idea. I was about to strike a flame when I thought maybe I would try one more time.

So.....I put some muscle into it (first, fortefied with a beer, which usually loosens up my inhibitions sufficiently to go for broke). Muscle did the trick, the dude unscrewed. I do believe that it was simply slightly corroded threats (aluminum, ya know) that just gave too much resistance. That, plus my failing memory of how the mechanism works. It's just a simple damn screw on cap, for Christ's sake.

Anyway she's off, cleaned, and lightly coated with that secret formula fish oil + 39 other ingredients in a spray can. Also sprayed some down inside of the internal ratcheting mechanism which - if I do recall now - has never ratcheted until now. Probably the dern thing was on too tight.

To all, thanks for the advice. A nice departure from "my car won't start" questions. Now to head back down to the Chevron to reclaim my self esteem.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same thing happen. Finally got it unscrewed before too many people started pointing
fingers and laughing.
When i got home i took a hammer and punch and folded the lip on the under side of the cap in a little more in three places. Been fine since.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well, it seems that Dr. Porsche is still able to laugh at us from the grave....I too had a similar instance. Years of effortless fill ups, then one day out of the blue, it takes Arnold to get the cap to turn.

Since I look nothing like Arnold, something else had to give.

Then in a flash, I remembered the need to sacrifice to the god of blood. So I simply gave the cap a good hardy twist...pealed my knukle on the latch mechanism...spurted blood, and shazam...off it came.

Never under estimate the power of a good blood letting!

Mark
Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Mark H, enjoyed your posts... too funny. Glad it was something simple.

Current cars: 2006 Cayenne TTS, 1991 964 Cabrio, 1997 993TT, 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 07-13-2011, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Mark----

AGE IS SHOWING........

Stop- with these clown stories.

Walt
Old 07-13-2011, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Gimp,

You really weren't expecting us to give you a pass on this one did you?

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

HAHA

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to. Happened to me a year or so ago.

Pretty embarassing standing at the pump - looking like a doofus. Try the cap - no go - look around to see if anyone is watching. Try again WTF. Stop and think. Try again - no go. Think about closing the lid and driving away - turbo tail between my legs. One more try. Brace my self - two hands - right elbow way up in the air for leverage - and it comes off like nothing was ever the matter.

Life is a mystery sometimes.

Jeb
'79 930
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Gimp,

You really weren't expecting us to give you a pass on this one did you?

Cole
Oh yeah, I expected to be fully flamed on this one. What are good comrades for, huh?
But my only saving grace is the number of us who have taken this opportunity to come out of the closet with identical experiences. Therefore - I remain - vindicated.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Oh yeah, I expected to be fully flamed on this one. What are good comrades for, huh?
But my only saving grace is the number of us who have taken this opportunity to come out of the closet with identical experiences. Therefore - I remain - vindicated.
Pretty funny now but not at the time for you.

This should be a warning for me and the likes who love to drive to the last drop...

Driving home after sqeedging the windshield would have been my way out

Thanks for sharing Mark, off to the garage to clean my gas cap.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger

Last edited by JJ 911SC; 07-13-2011 at 03:15 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
...story compliments those poor stoopid bastids who (cough) dropped their dipstick down the tube into the tank.

>>>shuffles toes around in the dirt looking sheepishly<<<

d'oh 8-)

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
What are you feeding her? She is keeping her mouth shut! Hmmmmm! No!
;-)
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: