Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Amp up the ol' bat (not your woman)

So, outside of a fruitless exercise to energize the ol' bat into a productive member of society, how about your car battery? Mine is decidedly old and about due for replacement, showing a fair amount of sulfating when I look down inside the wells. The last couple of days, after a good 25 mile commute, when I open the sunroof for "fresh" air, I get this stink reminicent of H2S. For those with a modicum of chemistry education, that's good old hydrogen sulfide, aka rotten egg smell. Nothing in a 930 sans-cat should smell like that, other than a battery boiling over (or a dead freakin' mouse in the air ducts, which is possible).

I took the opporunity to leave her running when I got home, slapped the trusty old digital voltmeter on the battery, and measured 15.8 charging volts. To me, that's about 1.0 volts too high considering it had been charging for many miles. No visible bubbling-over of acid, but suprised at the high voltage - and that with the outside air vent fan running on low.

Could just be that all that sulfation is causing an excessive draw on the battery with the charging circuits over-compensating. Don't know, never measured it before. Anybody put a DVM on their battery lately...give me a baseline???
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Your suspicions are correct. Should not be over 14 volts. 13.8 is the accepted value to overcome the 12V in the battery. Throw a new battery at that car.

How old is "old"?

Mark
Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Your suspicions are correct. Should not be over 14 volts. 13.8 is the accepted value to overcome the 12V in the battery. Throw a new battery at that car.

How old is "old"?

Mark
Well, she'll be 53 in December. Oh, wait, you're talking my battery. 4...maybe 5 years. But has seen it's share of discarging when I forget to plug it in, since I still have a ghost phantom draw on the battery that I haven't elliminated. I know that any full discharge on car batteries really shortens their life, so it's time I guess. Tired of the stink, that's for sure.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 07-13-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FlashGordon
Just chiming in here; soon to be in the same boat... Can you guys recommend a suitable (perhaps a bit lighter) replacement? Along with a proper size, model number etc.??
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
When your alternator is charging the battery it should be supplying in the range of 13.5 to 14.5V or so. If it is higher than that there is probably a faulty regulator.

Your alternator's voltage regulator may be faulty. Check out this info:

Alternator - Holdenpaedia

Here is a quote:
Overvolt or excessive voltage:

If the Output Voltage is in excess of that stamped on the Alternator, it's likely that the Regulator has failed.

Hope this helps. It may not be your battery at all.
https://flic.kr/p/nVgoAC
Old 07-14-2011, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

another possible indication, is while driving at night, you notice your headlights going brighter at times. At least that's what happened to me, turned out the Alt/reg was charging the battery at 15-16 volts. New Alt for me, not a new battery.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

FWIW, there is room for a VDO voltmeter gauge under the front hood release handle in the plasic carpet covered footwell blower cover thing. Remove it, peel the carpet back, cut the 52mm hole and glue the carpet back in place and then cut the hole in the carpet with a razor blade to install it. I like the looks of it down there too.

and..

There's room for the origonal VDO clock in the same place over on the passenger side if you have one sitting around collecting dust after installing a VDO boost gauge in the dash where the clock was.
I can see the time on it much better than the display on my radio's lcd during the day because of glare and reflections.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
FWIW, there is room for a VDO voltmeter gauge under the front hood release handle in the plasic carpet covered footwell blower cover thing. Remove it, peel the carpet back, cut the 52mm hole and glue the carpet back in place and then cut the hole in the carpet with a razor blade to install it. I like the looks of it down there too.

and..

There's room for the origonal VDO clock in the same place over on the passenger side if you have one sitting around collecting dust after installing a VDO boost gauge in the dash where the clock was.
I can see the time on it much better than the display on my radio's lcd during the day because of glare and reflections.
pics! Would love to have my clock back - neat idea Jimbo...

Which fuse on the block do you source power from for the clock?

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
FWIW I saw Jims car the other day and those gauges look really good located there. Very clever location indeed.

Bill
77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi Paul, I just went out and snapped a couple pics of it.
The origonal clock still keeps perfect time but is behind because I havn't reset it since diconnecting the battery to install a new bosch 044 fuel pump in the front next to the gas tank yesterday.
When it's nice out next winter I will remove the gas tank and restore it. Too hot and humid in S.Florida for that right now.

The previous owner put in the white gauge bezels to match the linen carpet and leather interior and I stayed with that theme with the voltmeter.

View from driver position..

I love jazz/funk/rock music and it's important to me so those are 8" speakers in the doors.

..and a blurry snap of the 044 fuel pump installed.
I really shoulda gone to the trouble of jacking the front higher because while laying on my back my nose was a couple inches from the floorpan and I had a hard time working in that space and was wayyy to close to see the lcd screen so the camera is down by the driveway for this pic.
I thought it would be a quick and easy job... yeah right!

This job would have been much easier if I had jacked the car up hgher so I had more room under there, drained the gas tank first so I wouldn't take a gasoline shower under the car while changing the hose, and bought the short custom made Turbokraft 18 x 1.5mm x 12mm hose connection fitting insead of the longer stacked combination of a russell 18 x 1.5mm 12AN adaptor fitting and 8AN push on barbed fitting to save some cash.

It worked though and I had to lengthen the fuel pump wires because this pump and stacked inlet fitting combination is longer and had to be mounted a little over to the passeger side in the hose clamp and the origonal wires wouldn't reach.
I'm very glad the outlet side banjo fitting hose was just long enough to reach.
You have to replace the wire terminals with bigger ones or drill the holes out bigger in the origonal ones to fit the thicker 044 wire studs anyway.

Havn't driven it and filled up the gas tank yet but I'm sure it will be an improvment.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Slick! Dig the white bezel against the linen - good call.

Thanks for running out and doing that - I'm totally cutting my clock in tonight 8-).

So what's a good source for switched power for the clock then?

Great job on the 044, that's prob on my to-do list over the winter since I'm suspecting I have a slight flow issue even tho I'm only @ ~ 55k.

Sorry for the TJ Mark (not really 8-))...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Using a 12 volt test light with sharp probe to stab wire insulation I found a red wire under the dash below the ignition switch thats hot all the time and spliced into that for clock power and spliced into one of the gauge illumination wires for the clock illumination.

For the 12 volt gauge I did the same for illumination and found another red wire under the ignition switch that is 12 volts switched for the gauge display.

It would probably be better to go forward through a factory hole already full of wires and my water injection line in the sheet metal up above he driver side footwell blower to get to the fuse box but I didn't.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Voltmeter looks good there cant see putting a clock down there though. I always use the one on my radio. The color combo looks really good though. Plus Jims car always looks like you could eat off the engine.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks Ken and wearing 2 pairs of reading glasses really helped my old eyes with the 044 install, lol...

I can hardly see the lcd display on my radio during the day because of reflections on the face even with the brightness turned up all the way.
So I look at my origonal clock whixch keeps perfect time I installed down there most of the time.

It's been sitting on a shelf indoors for the last 4 years so it felt good finding a good use for it... and i admit i have car hobby tinkeritis.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I like the voltmeter idea and will most likely persue it. I need information input when I drive a car, and this one piece of info is missing on our 930's.

As to my battery question, I think I'll go after the known need (a new battery), then see if my charging voltage is still out of line before going to the trouble of pulling the alternator.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Mr. Jim,

Very well done sir !!!!! The quality of work would pass for a job done by an old race car wrench.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Well kids, I slapped on a voltmeter that I had laying around the shop...temporarily wired it in and just have it laying on the console. Whilst driving to work this morning, she read steady at about 14V at all rpms, including idle. The 15.8 volts at idle I reported earlier seems to happen only after I've shut her down for a few minutes to stop at the store on the way home, then start back up and drive a couple miles. That's also when I notice the H2S smell. Now that I have on-board voltage measurement, I'll see what patterns emerge.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: