Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Feeler 1978 930

Hey Guys,
Iím kicking around the idea of selling my car. I just donít have time for it lately and would like to get an idea of how the market is going.
The car is a 1978 930. It is a US car with a sunroof delete, 31K miles, COA and records back to 5K miles.

The Good,
1978 930, 31k miles, Black on Black, sport seats recovered by Tony at Autobahn Interiors in April, the matching numbers engine has all the good mods, 3.4L Mahle P&C, SC webb cams, Andial intercooler, hi performance clutch, K27 turbo, B&B headers and muffler. Have most of the stock parts (intercooler,reactors,turbo,etc). The car currently has itís smog equipment and factory heat exchangers with w pipes in place.

The Bad,
1 repaint, not concourse, but acceptable. Oil leak, was told it was leaking from chain cover.

I was going to pull the engine and trans and reseal so I bought a top end engine gasket kit and all the parts for itís 30,000 mile service. I find myself too busy with work to play with it. That would go with the car.

In 1978 only 451 units were made for the US market, making them the lowest production US Turbos, add to that this car is a sunroof delete car, which makes it even more rare.

Can the experts give me an idea of what it is worth?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

USA $35k + German and many other contries more $$. Just make sure the overseas buyers fly, sail, swim over to see it so they know. Lots of problems lurking if shipped with dock workers driving ( starting cold and revving) or just abusing it in some way. Then the buyer may think it was sent from your garage as junk. If he ( she) sees, drives, touches, smells it at your place and then it arrives in a different state they know who to address their complaints too.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Dixie Boost Hooligan

IMHO... at $35K someone would be getting a very good buy. "If" you sell it hopefully this US example will stay HERE and not be sold overseas.
Nice graphics by the way
87 911 Turbo / 94 911 Turbo 3.6
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
beancounter

So i send you all those little smog bits so your car can pass visual as stock in Cali and now you're going to sell?

Man...you were supposed to wait until I could get out there and have a ride in it

That's a nice car and I hope you get a good amount of cash for it, or just keep it and enjoy.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo3six View Post
IMHO... at $35K someone would be getting a very good buy. "If" you sell it hopefully this US example will stay HERE and not be sold overseas.
Nice graphics by the way
Just letting you know the higher price some overseas buyers seem to be willing to pay may not be worth the extra bucks promised. Also I have had offers from overseas buyers that indicate to me the money may be ill gotten by the way they want to pay. I have turned off most inquires as they do not understand ( or seem to care ) that our laws ( I am a Wisconsin licensed dealer ) that govern overseas sale of a car and the transfer of purchase money may be different than theirs. Now before I get a lot of flack there are some serious collectors that are willing to buy a plane ticket and do the deal right to get the car (s) of their dreams however there are always bad actors. I doubt I would sell unless they came in person. There are just too many possible hassels and potential missunderstanding and possible legal issues. The costs of shipping and litigation are not something I would like to deal with.

Last edited by voitureltd; 07-19-2011 at 12:56 PM..
Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Scott,
Hey you were supposed to send me pictures of the car with the graphics on it, LOL

Jacob,
Yeah, I thought I was going to keep it forever but priorities ya know.
Book a flight and get out here, the weather's nice.

Tony,
Thanks for all your advise. I would really like to see it stay in the US. I'd consider it my patriotic duty.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thought I saw a guy in the FS section looking for a pre 80 930....
Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Evaluating your cars value is difficult. As a sideline spectator I would ask some obvious questions. Why a repaint with only 30K miles. Why would seats need to be re-done with such low miles? Is this a clean title or a theft recovery etc? With such low miles and obvious mechanical upgrades why is the engine in need of re-seal etc? These are all pertinent questions in establishing a true value. If the car was completely stock, no respray, clean title, and mechanically unmolested, and the mileage can be authenticated, I would agree with the estimates of north of 35K. If there are title issues, accident or theft history, coupled with a non original drive train you are looking more in the 25-32K range. The engine mods are very nice and expensive, but to the true collector market they can be a detraction. Either way your car is beautiful and a fine example of a 70/80's icon.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Where did you get the turbo graphics?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Xpensive,
All very good questions, let me answer them for you.

The front passenger fender appears to have been replaced, I assume that the car had been repainted at that time.

When I purchased the car, the original sport seats had been replaced with non-sports. I recently sourced a set and had them recovered.

Clean title.

TRE Motorsports had the car smogged. They said the leak appeared to be coming from the chain box. The desire to reseal the whole thing is just my OCD to "while it's out".

I hope that clears up any questions.

DWG - I had painstakingly reproduced the graphics from an original set. Silkscreened on 3M film just as the originals. I still have a few sets for sale, PM me for details.

Tom
Old 07-22-2011, 11:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Nice car.
Interested on the graphics. Pleas PM price and availability.
Thanks
Al
Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Tom,
I like the graphics but would have to paint my car before putting them on and I have no current plans to do that so I shouldn't have even asked the question.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Car is posted in the "for sale" section.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: