Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Clutch fitting problem

Hi all,

Been a member for a while but this is my first post (big wave to everyone out there!!)....looking for some advice/help with the problem below...

I encountered a problem while changing the clutch on my 930 - its a '76 UK 3.0L car. I purchased a new Sachs clutch for it recently - on inspection the pressure plate looked servicable. However, when I bolt on the pressure plate I have a situation where the spring fingers are pushed too far out and as a result the withdrawal bearing comes to with 6mm of the bell housing - therefore there is not enough travel to release the clutch. As if the clutch disk was too thick - but its exactly withing spec (10.1mm). The disk I removed is 8.7mm - so just coming to the limit. The pressure plate is Sachs so I am at a loss as to why its not fitting. Was there a change in pressure plate? This would seem to be the obvious answer....but though I would get some advice before purchasing a new pressure plate as well....

The clutch wasnt slipping, I had the engine out for other work, measured the disk and decided to change as it was near its end.

Some photos showing the view in to the withdrawal bearing and the pressure plate.

Any advice appreciated....

Distance from surface of plate to mounting surface of pressure plate:

Pressure plate:

Pressure plate:

Vire into where the withdrawal bearing can be seem right up to the bell housing:

...and of course the obligatory picture of the car....
Old 07-14-2011, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The throw out bearing floats loose until you tighten down the pressure plate completely. You need everything tight before you consider a problem with the relationship of the parts.
Bruce
76 930
Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
The throw out bearing floats loose until you tighten down the pressure plate completely. You need everything tight before you consider a problem with the relationship of the parts.
Bruce
76 930
Thanks Bruce - yes, you are correct - however the picture showing the throw out bearing / fork is taken with everything assembled, gearbox on engine. But the problem is obvious even when the pressure plate alone is tightened onto the engine with the new clutch disk - its clear the spring fingers are on the pressure plate being pushed out too far - bolting it all up as in the picture confirmed it...only a very small amount of movement left before the throw out bearing comes in contact with the bell housing.

It seems the only solution is there must be an incorrect pressure plate on it which happens to work with a clutch disk thinner than it should be......
Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Would the PP be for a 3.3? That is a considerably thicker unit. I m sure I have a 3.0 PP in the garage and I use to have a 3.3 too. I ll take some pics and measurments tomorrow if I do.
Bruce
Old 07-15-2011, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This is a 76/77 PP and the larger is a 78 and later.

Bruce

Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
This is a 76/77 PP and the larger is a 78 and later.

Bruce
Excellent Bruce - I will compare those measurements. Thanks - much appreciated.

I have the original clutch disk back in the car and put the engine/gearbox back in today - trying to rectify another problem - excessive oil leaks from what seems to the flange seals, despite having fitted two new seals and pushed them 1mm further into the box to ensure the seal is wiping on part of the flange that is not pitted/corroded. After a 7 mile test drive today I have such an amount of oil dripping from the box its difficult to believe its just coming out through the seals - its a strange one. The gearbox breather is perfectly clear too, so this one is also puzzling me.

I see from you signature you also have a '76 930. Very nice car you have there!!
Is it in original condition?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

76 in Viper Green and an off camel interior color. I ve owned it since 1992 and it has 66K miles. I ve had it down for a while but its coming back up.
Is your vent pointing forward in the car?

Bruce

Last edited by Flat6pac; 07-17-2011 at 05:39 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
76 in Viper Green and an off camel interior color. I ve owned it since 1992 and it has 66K miles. I ve had it down for a while but its coming back up.
Is your vent pointing forward in the car?

Bruce
Great colour there Bruce! Nice one. I have the tartan interior.

The gearbox vent - its not actually - its pointing towards the rear of the car....and I noted just last night in the manual that it should be pointing forward! "When all else fails, read the instructions!!"

The small length of tube on the vent that drops down a short way into the gearbox is shaped such that if its pointing rearwards it could actually catch the oil fling off the crown wheel and it could be driven up and out the vent....? Might this actually be the source? Seems strange that it would be that critical and that such an amount of oil should come out. I will twist it so its facing the front of the car, check levels and test again. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

That seems to have sorted the leak Bruce!! Thanks for the tip. Did about 15 miles in it today as a test and so far lookng good!!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: