Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Help Needed with Distributor Advance, Retard. No Upper RPM Power in All Gears

I just had a my engine apart to replace a cracked cylinder. Now after reassembly, my power drops off after 3500 rpm and I'm compelled to shift at that point without the thrill of experiencing the upper RPM power band.
After reading other 930 owner experiences, I mentioned to my mechanic about a possible distributor advance and retard adjustment to rectify my problem. He said that mine is not functioning and I don't need it. He said 95% of all 930's don't have an operable distributor advance retard function and their cars run fine.
Please let me know if this is true with 95% of you 930 drivers.
Thanks,
Glenn
Long Island, NY

Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

not true. i'd suggest find a better 930 mechanic.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Pull the distributor and remove the pod. Soak the distributor in WD40 over night and loosen the section that the pod manipulates. When youre hitting a wall at 3500 your spark isnt advancing so the distributor is frozen and not working centrufigally or on the vacuum advance.
Bruce.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think that many here will agree that soaking the distributor in WD40 is the correct method. Expand your mind.. Take the darn thing apart and clean/lube and re-assemble.

There are a few threads on this site that will help you out.

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Im not looking for agreement, I m just telling you what will solve the problem.
Bruce
Old 07-17-2011, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe soaking and taking apart is a solution

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: