Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Rear Wheel Bearing Stuff

79 930, no mods. No picts.
Was moving it around my garage a few days ago and heard a clunking sound from the right rear wheel. Jacked it up and found a goodly amount of play vertically and horizontally. First thought was wheel bearing. removed cotter key from stub axle nut and found it was FINGER TIGHT. Turned it in quite a number of turns before it tightened up.
Is it possible for somebody to install it half way, install the caliper, install the nut, and drive away and not have it make noise to the high heavens? Have driven it 6000 miles and no bearing noise.
The 930 shop manual seems vague and contradictory at best. Some of the posts on this forum aren't exactly clear either.
Talked to someone at S.I.R. Tools and they have a R and R kit just for the 930. Seems reasonable to think the job might be less problematic with the right tool.
The consensuses seems to be that the inner bearing removal is the hardest part of the operation.
Would appreciate advise, feedback,and/or experiences any of you all may have with this.
TY in advance

Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi: I have got an 82 930 with about 50k miles on it. Mine started making an intermittent growling sound coming from the right rear. I jacked up the car, started it and stuck it in gear. The noise was coming from the bearing area. I ended up removing the banana arm (after talking to the local Porsche shop) and let them have it. They stuck it in the press and removed both bearings. They said that the bearings were pressed in so tight that there was no way they could have removed it with the tool that does it on the car. They said the inner bearing was bone dry (no grease). Anyway, they then replaced both bearings and the crush washer that goes in between. The assembly then was torqued to spec. I think it was over 200 ft. lbs.
I do quite a bit of my own wrenching but am glad I don't think I could have done this.
Tom
Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBTurbo View Post
Hi: I have got an 82 930 with about 50k miles on it. Mine started making an intermittent growling sound coming from the right rear. I jacked up the car, started it and stuck it in gear. The noise was coming from the bearing area. I ended up removing the banana arm (after talking to the local Porsche shop) and let them have it. They stuck it in the press and removed both bearings. They said that the bearings were pressed in so tight that there was no way they could have removed it with the tool that does it on the car. They said the inner bearing was bone dry (no grease). Anyway, they then replaced both bearings and the crush washer that goes in between. The assembly then was torqued to spec. I think it was over 200 ft. lbs.
I do quite a bit of my own wrenching but am glad I don't think I could have done this.
Tom
+1 I'd do the same thing if I didn't have a press...
FS 1987 930 DTAFast EFI w/Electronic Dash, 17x9x11" Lindsey Racing Fuchs, Andial 8.39 R&P, C2 Intake, SuperCup Cams, Flame Ringed Heads & Cylinders, TurboKraft Full Bay Intercooler, RearlyL8 Twin Scroll Headers, Big Bullseye Twin Scroll Turbo...SOLD
1999 Harley Davidson Custom 1250 Hardtail Bobber..SOLD
2014 BMW X6M, 2012 BMW 128i, 2014 GMC Sierra, 2015 Cobia 237 Center Console 300hp Yamaha
Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there,
I did my own rears about a year ago, big job & tedious, but not really that difficult. Patiance trying yes, cramped space yes, hard to get at inner race yes, but all in all doable.

Heating up the trailing arm a fair amount, but not too much, helps in extracting the bearing races. Trying to press them out cold & dry, would have been rather difficult. As with most things in life, a little heat & lube goes a long way.

F.Y.I., last I checked the S.I.R. tool is only intended for single rear bearing 911's it is not completely correct for the 1976-1989 double bearing 930 trailing arms. I'm told you can get it to work, but it's not a slam dunk affair. Maybe however, they have a newer model available that isn't shown on their web site???

I opted to make my own puller, and I inserted the new races, via a soft brass drift & some patiance and some heat & lube, worked out just fine.

Yes, the stub axle nut gets torqued to 200+ Ft. Lbs. I forget the exact #, but it's listed in the shop manuals.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 07-18-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
You might have a few issues, check your cv joints, I had one disintegrate on me, made the clunking sound you describe, also causes the rotational play.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
I am pretty sure I have a bad CV joint on the unreplaceble side of the Half shaft, I had it remanufactured but it still has play, very little but it does have play. This plus the clunky diff from the turbo 3.6 and it is very annoying and I am concerned if this could cause further problems.

My mechanic insists the CVs are Ok, the remanufacturing place told me the play is normal..so my only option now is a new halfshaft which are ver very expensive for the turbo 3.6.

Sorry.....I guess I am venting...did not intend to hijack the thread..

Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: