Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Billet throttle bodies

Has anyone here used a non-stock TB? I have read some pelicans have used the Wilson throttle bodies - these are cut from solid aluminum. What advantages do these billet TB have over the stock ones?

Basically, what are the main differences and how do these particular TB help or enhance performance over the stock units?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Look at Accufab also.

The only reason to change the TB is to go larger than stock. Depending on the HP levels you want, there has been plenty of debate on the forums to whether it's worth it or not.

The billet is nice and machined smooth, but isn't going to amount to any big increase in flow over a cast TB.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

drool...
Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
As of now - TurboKraft has my manifold and it is getting "tweeked". I already had the ports polished and enlarged to 39mm. The manifold has been extruded honed.

Also, Chris has come up with a great way for me to incorporate WMI system. I will have 6 injectors placed on the back side of the manifold. One in each cylinder intake port (channel) in the manifold. This way the WMI system will not be seen - everything will be concealed. Bad news is - if I have to replace a injector nozzle, I will have to remove the manifold to get to it. Oh well, is always something when designing outside of the box.

Mark
Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrice View Post

the only reason to change the tb is to go larger than stock. Depending on the hp levels you want
+1
Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm running 75mm Accufab throttle body on 3,2 intake manifold.
Engine is not stock though, but flows really well
1986 944 Turbo
Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Chris from TurboKraft got back to me today. Bottom line: more bling than anything else. He informed me that they worked on a high modified turbo motor with the intake enlarged by 3mm. The owner had a billet TB installed. He said it looked great, but not any noticeable difference in performance. Except maybe in the owners own mind.

So - there we are. I really trust Chris. I have been doing business with him since he was with Powerhaus.

Mark
Old 07-21-2011, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I had one on my car, don't know if it is still there, they are made in Ohio and used largely by the Mustang, Camaro crowd.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 07-21-2011, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I can't speak about this product first hand. But it depends on the design and features. Not all are just bling and fashion. Diameter is a aspect not the whole equation as the butterfly and other aspects contribute. Think response refinement vs power.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Wide open throttle on a chassis dyno is just that. Unfortunately, WOT is a very small percentage of real world driving......but those HP figures really impress guys who like to compare the size of their dyno sheet to another guy's dyno sheet.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: