Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Happiest when Tinkering
 
gsmith660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,170
Glad to hear it was the cause and good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
I did just that [removed blade and took to trusty radiator shop around the corner - - $10]... reassembled and huge difference! I also put a thin silicon sleeve around the idle adjustment screw tip. Bench tested the idle screw and was able to eliminate 80% of the air flow with the screw all the way in.

That's right, there is still air passing around the screw when it's all the way in...

Reassembled and was able to get my idle all the way down to below 400 rpm's with the idle screw when fully warm [with more room to go...]. Of course I raised it up to 900. then, had to lean the idle mixture a bit [due to lack of air], and all is well!
__________________
" Porsche there is no substitute" I always liked that saying. Air cooled is the only way to go!
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Maryland
Posts: 861
I removed my air box on my 86 930 and used Fabspeed intake system. I now have a 91 Turbo and also wanted to remove the air box . When I tried to order the kit this time around I was told it wouldn't work on my 91 even though their web page states will fit up to 94.

My question is, does anyone have the part numbers for all the filters that would be needed? If I would use K&N filters. Its been sometime now since I put it on my old 930, how many filters are needed? Thanks
__________________
16 VW Touareg
05 Porsche Cayenne S
87 Porsche 930
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 7,208
You don't need any little filters just vent the hoses to atmosphere under the sheetmetal so you're not breathing in the fumes while driving especially in cool weather if the heat is on and blowing.. thats all engine compartment air.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered User
 
race911turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland OR and Taiwan
Posts: 138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
I removed my air box on my 86 930 and used Fabspeed intake system. I now have a 91 Turbo and also wanted to remove the air box . When I tried to order the kit this time around I was told it wouldn't work on my 91 even though their web page states will fit up to 94.

My question is, does anyone have the part numbers for all the filters that would be needed? If I would use K&N filters. Its been sometime now since I put it on my old 930, how many filters are needed? Thanks
I installed my kit on 1991 965 turbo, you will need 25 mm for oil tank breath valve 15 mm for fuel tank breath valve and main air filter.

For 965 turbo A/C line is secure to air box you will need to tight it down.


__________________
1975 914, 1988 944 turbo S sold.
1986 944 turbo resleeve 2.7, DTA S-60 PRO.
1986 911 Carrera with 965 turbo motor, DTA S-80 PRO.
1989 930 EFI, DTA, Carrera intake, twinturbo,2x GT-35R.
1991 964 convertible, wide body conversion.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered User
 
race911turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland OR and Taiwan
Posts: 138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by race911turbo View Post
I installed my kit on 1991 965 turbo, you will need 25 mm for oil tank breath valve 15 mm for fuel tank breath valve and main air filter.

For 965 turbo A/C line is secure to air box you will need to tight it down.




__________________
1975 914, 1988 944 turbo S sold.
1986 944 turbo resleeve 2.7, DTA S-60 PRO.
1986 911 Carrera with 965 turbo motor, DTA S-80 PRO.
1989 930 EFI, DTA, Carrera intake, twinturbo,2x GT-35R.
1991 964 convertible, wide body conversion.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered User
 
race911turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland OR and Taiwan
Posts: 138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
You don't need any little filters just vent the hoses to atmosphere under the sheetmetal so you're not breathing in the fumes while driving especially in cool weather if the heat is on and blowing.. thats all engine compartment air.
Agree....but I would put vent hose close to main air filter. Smoke come out from oil tank breathing hose while waiting for traffic light does not look good.
__________________
1975 914, 1988 944 turbo S sold.
1986 944 turbo resleeve 2.7, DTA S-60 PRO.
1986 911 Carrera with 965 turbo motor, DTA S-80 PRO.
1989 930 EFI, DTA, Carrera intake, twinturbo,2x GT-35R.
1991 964 convertible, wide body conversion.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Maryland
Posts: 861
Thanks guys... race911turbo, what filter company did you use? Part numbers by any chance? Thanks
__________________
16 VW Touareg
05 Porsche Cayenne S
87 Porsche 930
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered User
 
race911turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland OR and Taiwan
Posts: 138
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
Thanks guys... race911turbo, what filter company did you use? Part numbers by any chance? Thanks
I order from Simota #1 air filter comapny in Taiwan, I have regular cloth type and stainless steel screen race type. If you want to try it I will sell regular type kit for $70 USD, stainless steel screen kit for $90 USD. Shipping included.

__________________
1975 914, 1988 944 turbo S sold.
1986 944 turbo resleeve 2.7, DTA S-60 PRO.
1986 911 Carrera with 965 turbo motor, DTA S-80 PRO.
1989 930 EFI, DTA, Carrera intake, twinturbo,2x GT-35R.
1991 964 convertible, wide body conversion.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
ibanezjs
 
ibanezjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: France
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by race911turbo View Post
I order from Simota #1 air filter comapny in Taiwan, I have regular cloth type and stainless steel screen race type. If you want to try it I will sell regular type kit for $70 USD, stainless steel screen kit for $90 USD. Shipping included.

Hello

When you use this kit, where do you connect or how, the hose comes from the WUR , the one is going normally to the air box?

Sorry for my English, i'm from France.

Last edited by ibanezjs; 11-06-2011 at 07:49 AM..
Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered User
 
race911turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland OR and Taiwan
Posts: 138
Garage
WUR and idle control valve hose is connect to intercooler, the hoses go to air box are oil tank breathing valve and fuel tank breath valve.
__________________
1975 914, 1988 944 turbo S sold.
1986 944 turbo resleeve 2.7, DTA S-60 PRO.
1986 911 Carrera with 965 turbo motor, DTA S-80 PRO.
1989 930 EFI, DTA, Carrera intake, twinturbo,2x GT-35R.
1991 964 convertible, wide body conversion.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
ibanezjs
 
ibanezjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: France
Posts: 54
I talk about this hose:

Old 11-07-2011, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered User
 
race911turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland OR and Taiwan
Posts: 138
Garage
That is not a hose connector, leave it open.
__________________
1975 914, 1988 944 turbo S sold.
1986 944 turbo resleeve 2.7, DTA S-60 PRO.
1986 911 Carrera with 965 turbo motor, DTA S-80 PRO.
1989 930 EFI, DTA, Carrera intake, twinturbo,2x GT-35R.
1991 964 convertible, wide body conversion.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
 
ibanezjs
 
ibanezjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: France
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by race911turbo View Post
That is not a hose connector, leave it open.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockwall, Texas
Posts: 8,765
Isn't that the "breather" port for the diaphram? If the diaphram ruptures gas flow out of this.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered User
 
oilonly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Isn't that the "breather" port for the diaphram? If the diaphram ruptures gas flow out of this.
Yes. I have a hose connected to it and then running to the bottom of the engine. If it ever breaks fuel will spill on the ground instead of on top of the engine.
__________________
'87, Modified WUR, Billet valve, 965 downpipe, Kokeln intercooler, GHL headers, Garrett T04B K27 hybrid, Tial w/.8 bar, WEGO IV, RarlyL8 dual out, LSD
Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 7,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
Yes. I have a hose connected to it and then running to the bottom of the engine. If it ever breaks fuel will spill on the ground instead of on top of the engine.
That'll work.

I have a K&N air filter on top of the air flow meter so I drilled a hole and put a small brass elbow in the rubber top and ran a vent hose from the WUR to it. If the WUR vent line decides to take a leak the motor will probably start to cough black smoke and let me know somethings up.

The recently posted picture of a 930 burnt down on the side of the road one night somewhere in europe inspired me to do that.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DSPTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Suntree, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by race911turbo View Post
Agree....but I would put vent hose close to main air filter. Smoke come out from oil tank breathing hose while waiting for traffic light does not look good.
I totally agree on this one... it is the only thing keeping me with the stock air box. I love the access the small filter provides, but I hate the smoke puffs that come from the oil tank and the turbo drip tank vent lines. Anyone got a solution for that?
__________________
JB - BreitWerks
www.breitwerks.com
321-806-8664
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 11-08-2011, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered User
 
oilonly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
That'll work.

I have a K&N air filter on top of the air flow meter so I drilled a hole and put a small brass elbow in the rubber top and ran a vent hose from the WUR to it. If the WUR vent line decides to take a leak the motor will probably start to cough black smoke and let me know somethings up.

The recently posted picture of a 930 burnt down on the side of the road one night somewhere in europe inspired me to do that.
Nice idea. Yes that picture of the burnt 930 makes me think twice also. I always carry a fire extinguisher now.
__________________
'87, Modified WUR, Billet valve, 965 downpipe, Kokeln intercooler, GHL headers, Garrett T04B K27 hybrid, Tial w/.8 bar, WEGO IV, RarlyL8 dual out, LSD
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:20 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.