Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
BMC F1 Air filter failure

Hello all,

A warning to anyone using a BMC F1 washable air cleaner:

I was out for a drive last week and my engine died in the typical manner indicating that the fuel pump fuse had popped. Everything was ok, quick look around the engine but nothing obvious. Once I got the car towed home I noticed that the pumps would run as soon as the ignition was turned on. I figured that the metering plate spring had broken or the disk had shifted. I went to remove the air cleaner and found it had disintegrated and large chunks had been ingested which blocked the metering plate in the open position. Some pieces had made it thru the turbo and shredded residue was visible in the inlet side of the IC. I don't think the turbo was damaged but I still need to remove the rest of the intake plumbing to check. Since the plate was blocked open (and I spent some time probing around) the intake ports were doused with a significant amount of fuel which seeped into the exhaust system. The oil was contaminated as well. I bought this filter in 2003 and cleaned it every 3-6 months using simple green or similar mild detergent. I live in FL so the heat may have taken it's toll. Plus it's 8 years old so it lived a useful life.

If you have one on your 930 take a look. Cleanup is time consuming. I'm going back to the stock filter / housing...

85 930
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wow, that sucks.

The K&N RU-5163 is much better quality and fits the 930 air flow meter perfectly like it was made for it, and comes with a hose clamp.

It's $35 from StreetSideAuto - Auto Parts, Car Parts, Truck Accessories, Truck Parts, Car Accessories and Performance Parts, and a buck more from Summit Racing.

Here's mine

Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

+1 for what JFairman said.
I have a RU-5109 on order (just a tad taller and not tapered) from Summit but it's being shipped direct from K&N so no next day delivery for me...

Last edited by E-man930; 07-22-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That one sells for $33 at streetside. StreetSideAuto - Auto Parts, Car Parts, Truck Accessories, Truck Parts, Car Accessories and Performance Parts

Being bigger it would flow even better but it's 7/8" taller so it would hit and rub against the foam rubber sound pad I have installed. If I had no sound pad or made a cut out section above the air cleaner it looks like it would fit.

Slide the origonal air cleaner rubber gasket and it's steel retainer up and off the CIS air flow meter before installing one of these.

I loosened the 2 rear motor mount bolts and lowered the back of the motor about an inch on a floor jack to make it alot easier to install the one I have.

Thats easy and only take a few minutes.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Wow, that sucks.

The K&N RU-5163 is much better quality and fits the 930 air flow meter perfectly like it was made for it, and comes with a hose clamp.

It's $35 from StreetSideAuto - Auto Parts, Car Parts, Truck Accessories, Truck Parts, Car Accessories and Performance Parts, and a buck more from Summit Racing.

Here's mine

JFairman, that T between the most beautiful intercooler ever and the AAV, is that going to the decel valve? And do you have your decel valve going to intake or atmosphere?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Looks nice. Any downsides to this setup versus the normal aftermarket set up with the larger cone off to the right side of the motor?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
... Being bigger it would flow even better but it's 7/8" taller so it would hit and rub against the foam rubber sound pad I have installed. If I had no sound pad or made a cut out section above the air cleaner it looks like it would fit ...
A bit off topic, I just replaced my foam rubber mat with an OEM 930 pad and it has a circular cutout for the airbox.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: 930-556-891-02-M260
Old 07-22-2011, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The only downside is the companies that sell the plastic crap intake won't get your business if you buy the thirty some odd dollar K&N. You can skip the craptastic Fabspeed $200+ setup as well.

Last edited by E-man930; 07-22-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 07-22-2011, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

"JFairman, that T between the most beautiful intercooler ever and the AAV, is that going to the decel valve? And do you have your decel valve going to intake or atmosphere?"

Thanks, I bought a used Kokeln long neck intercooler a few months ago and then sanded it down and polished it. Took some time and I like the results.

There are 2 T's in the hose going to the AAV because there is no deceleration valve hose fitting on a long neck Kokeln intercooler.
The bigger T goes to a 32mm black anodized chinese copy of a Turboxs type blow off valve I found on ebay. With shipping it was only $41

I clear silicone glued a small stainless steel mesh air filter I had into the BOV horn because sometimes during low speed decelerations like coming down a hill or approaching a stop sign when the turbo is spining slowly and not making air pressure, intake manifold vacuum opens the BOV a little and slight vacuum in the intercooler sucks in some air. The horn that is there to amplify the pfwooosh noise when the valve opens under boost unscrews and can be removed from the BOV if you want.

That is not causing any drivability problems and it leans out the AFR a little at medium to low rpms during slow speed decelerations. I can see it happening on my AFR gauge.
I know that sounds funky but with 3 of the 6 shims that came with the BOV installed under the spring inside it, it works great.

I also installed a vacuum solenoid I had sitting around in the vacuum line that opens the BOV so I can flip a switch and disable it making it stay closed all the time if I want.
I installed a small rocker switch in the front left side of the glove box to operate that vacuum solenoid.
The vacuum solenoid is open at rest letting vacuum pass through and operate the BOV and it closes when 12 volts is applied to it disabling the BOV.

The smaller T and 3/8" hose thats hard to see in the pictures goes to a 10mm vacuum solenoid I mounted on the right rear side of the CIS airflow meter housing and it opens and bypasses some air around the throttle body when the AC compressor turns on so idle speed stays the same and doesn't drop at all when the AC compressor kicks on.

When I first installed this intercooler I installed the deceleration valve vented to atmosphere under there on the end of that hose but I removed it and installed the adjustable BOV in place of it and sold the deceleration valve.
The adjustable BOV works better for this application and you can add or remove washer shims under the spring to adjust preload to control when and how far it's brass piston opens from intake manifold vacuum when you close the throttle.

There is also a 25mm or 1 inch Turboxs compressor bypass valve/BOV installed sideways in the rubber C2 elbow hose recirculating turbo boost from the back of the intercooler into the turbo air intake when you close the throttle. The 25mm recirculating CBV has no shims under the spring and it's brass piston opens a little before the 32mm BOV. I think more boost pressure is being recirculated than vented to atmosphere between upshifts or when you close the throttle under boost but there is no way to measure that.
The CBV and BOV are both opened by the same intake manifold vacuum port on the top left side of the throttle body - the same place the deceleration valve activation vacuum line was.

It might seem kinda silly to have 2 blow off valves working together but I like it, enjoyed installing it, and it works great.
The BOV vented to atmosphere makes a nice little fwoooosh between upshifts under boost that isn't very loud because some of the turbo's air pressure is being recirculated quietly at the same time but you can still hear it.
You can't see the BOV under the intercooler unless you look for it.
There doesn't seem to be any boost leakage from them and I'm running between 1.1-1.2 bar boost with no problems.

Pics of the 32mm BOV while the intercooler is removed when I still had the stock air cleaner housing installed.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I like what you did there and plan on copying it JFairman. I can find that BOV on e-bay? I already copied your 1 inch Turboxs compressor bypass valve/BOV installed sideways in the rubber C2 elbow hose idea and like it. Sorry to derail the thread.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

ebay BOV link

Here's the ebay link to the one I bought.
UNIVERSAL ADJUSTABLE RFL TURBO BLOW OFF VALVE BOV KIT | eBay

It says there are no more of them from this seller but his weblink is on the ebay page so you could email him and see.

When I was searching ebay for blow off valves I found the same one for a few dollars more from another seller.
RFL TYPE TURBO BLOW OFF VALVE ANODIZED BLACK PSI BOOST | eBay
Looking at his website there is a red anodized one halfway down the page, maybe he has them in other colors and black. He also has a clear anodized one without a horn but I wanted that so I could silicone glue an air filter into it.
Speed Daddy Com items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

I've also seen them blue anodized. I like the black anodized one I have.
Anyway, just search ebay for "blow off valve" and alot of them will come up. There are many better quality name brand blow off valves, I just didn't want to spend much on it and this one works great.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks JF, I ordered a Silver one.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage

I made a batch of air filters with stainless steel screen, it has open on top of air filter.
1989 930 EFI, DTA, Carrera intake, twinturbo,2x GT-35R.
1991 964 convertible, wide body conversion.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage

Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

and still another one..

That blue one with the vents in top kinda reminds me of an air filter I modified to fit the 930 CIS.
I made the whole in the bottom bigger to fit the air flow meter and drilled 2 holes in the top for the origonal 6mm bolts or any others to hold it on.

It's in excellent condition with no bends or dents in the pleatd stainless steel screen.
It goes on over the factory air cleaner rubber gasket and doesn't have much use.

The metal bottom doesn't interfere with the CO adjustment screw post. With the K&N filter I posted up the page I cut a small V shaped notch with a razor blade in the edge of the rubber bottom of the K&N filter in between two screen pleats to make it clear the CO adjusment screw. Worked out fine.
I've cleaned and reoiled this one with the K&N air filter cleaner and reoil kit.

I'll sell it for $30 shipped in the USA if anyone wants it.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I call shotgun on the air cleaner.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I was going to make air filter like yours with aluminum plate on top to hold it down, I turn to Simota for air filters. Simota is biggest cold air system company in Taiwan. The stainless steel screen is their newest product.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

With the filter sitting behind the intercooler, sheltered somewhat from fresh air, won't it tend to heat soak?
Old 07-24-2011, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Doesn't the screen let unfiltered air bypass the filter element (path of least resistance) = bad design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by race911turbo View Post

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Hole in the Butterfly?

Jim and others,

I have a small hole in my butterfly, but am seeing more and more [like Jim's] that don't...

Were there different butterflies?

And, how hard is it to change the butterfly out? Reason being, i'm wanting to get my idle down a bit more [idle screw is all the way in], and am thinking that may do the trick... See picture on next post...

Thanks, Shannon

Last edited by mooney265; 07-25-2011 at 05:30 AM..
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: