Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Wastegate Questions: Can I Over Boost if Incorrectly Installed. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/620716-wastegate-questions-can-i-over-boost-if-incorrectly-installed.html)

NY930 07-22-2011 01:32 PM

Wastegate Questions: Can I Over Boost if Incorrectly Installed.

If the lines to the wastegate were improperly installed, can I be in danger to overboost?
Is there any of scenario can can cause an overboost failure.
Or, are there built in fail safe mechanisms in place.

proffighter 07-22-2011 01:57 PM

If your car is stock, then there is a safety switch on the IC which shut-off the fuel pumps at a certain boost. I've seen some between 1.1 and 1.3bar

drmatera 07-22-2011 02:40 PM

that is the number one cause of piston meltdown and or head gasket destruction. It's more common than you would think.

proffighter is right about the over boost cut-off

gmendo 07-22-2011 05:09 PM

Yes, if the lines are not connected or connected backwards, it will overboost.

NY930 07-23-2011 06:10 AM

Wow,
My shop did install a new Intercooler, K27 and headers and then I cracked a cylinder right down the middle in less than 100 miles after my shop did the change out installation of the IC, new turbo and headers.
The pistons looked fine but the cylinder was wasted.
What should I think?

jwasbury 07-23-2011 07:45 AM

Are you certain the wastegate lines were connected improperly? What should you think if that is the case? IMO, you should assume that this or any shop really doesn't give a crap about you or your car and are looking to make the quick buck. Take Inventory of your own experiences and spend some time reading the forums and you'll see that more often than not we are being taken advantage of.

Not saying there aren't any good shops out there that value long term relationships with reasonable and educated customers, but I haven't found one around here and frankly gave up trying. I have a garage, tools and I'm not afraid to use them. No one will ever care about your car more than you.

krasuskyp 07-23-2011 09:09 PM

geezus dude - I assume this is pre-dyno that you were referring to in the HP thread?

damn, that sucks - very sorry to hear... ugh.

It's pretty darn easy to look @ the WG and see if it's plumbed correctly. If it isn't, you def better be having the Come to Jeezus talk w/ yer shop 8-/...

Good luck, again sorry to hear... makes me sick just hearing it let alone experiencing...

NY930 07-23-2011 09:52 PM

Yea, It makes me quite ill thinking about and even worse having to pay for it.

jwasbury 07-24-2011 05:53 AM

Your car is 3.5 liter, correct? Was the cylinder that failed a 100mm bore? What type of cylinder? The correct way to go 100mm requires boring the case spigots oversized. LN Engineering offers slip fit Nickies cylinders in 100mm bore, but claim that their aluminum is a higher strength alloy. I've read where people have had OEM Mahles punched out to 100mm, but the walls become so thin and were not strong enough and crack as you describe.