Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help me price my 930 for potential sale

Haven't posted much lately, but never miss a day reading these forums. Probably because my car has been down for rebuild for most of the time I have owned it. It's back on the road finally, but am considering selling (not yet committed and not distressed). Would appreciate opinions on what to list for and what to realistically expect.

Thanks,
Maxx

1986 Porsche 930 / 911 Turbo, unique Ruf modifications, 41k original miles, fresh performance engine rebuild, rare Ruf 5spd transmission.

This Porsche was lightly modified by a Ruf authorized dealer in NJ when it was 1000 miles new. They shaved the raingutters (like the Yellowbird), added the rare Ruf 5 speed transmission, Ruf front mount oil cooler, Ruf polyurethane front spoiler, Ruf tachometer and speedometer, VDO boost gauge, Ruf intercooler (since replaced with bigger Kokeln) and Ruf boost control knob (since removed and not included). There were likely other Ruf items that were removed and sold before I acquired the car. The car had 37k miles when I bought it in June 2005, and I just completed a full performance engine rebuild designed to produce a reliable, but significantly more powerful car suitable for the street and the track. The engine has just finished being broken in and has less than 1000 miles. Total miles on car is now under 41k (not specific because I am driving it a couple of times a week).

I have well over $60,000 in the car, modifications and engine rebuild and have put less than 1000 miles on it since completing the work. This is the best way to buy a 930 Pictures following.

Body
Shaved rain gutters (like the Yellowbird)
Ruf polyurethane spoiler
Ruf front mount oil cooler
Weltmeister front strut brace

Drivetrain
Ruf 5 speed transmission
Full engine rebuild completed in early 2011
Work done by Mayo Performance in Dallas, TX. Ed Mayo is on the PCA technical committee
Stock case
New Nickes 98mm billet aluminum cylinders (3.4 L)
New JE pistons 8.0 CR, anti-friction coated
964 camshafts (Dougherty Racing Camshafts)
Factory rods, reconditioned by Automotive Machine
ARP rod bolts
Supertec head studs
Twin plug and ported heads by German Precision
Port matched intake manifold
New Aase racing valve springs and titanium retainers
Powerhaus billet aluminum injector blocks, port matched
Rennline stainless steel fan strap
Centerdrilled crankshaft (Marine Crankshaft)
Imagine Auto 964 style billet aluminum lower valve covers
Electromotive/Clewett XDi twin plug distributorless ignition system
New 3 bar map sensor
Clewett spark plug wires
Kokeln intercooler
Leask modified warmup regulator
New Wevo semi-solid engine mounts
Mille Miglia dual exhaust
Race style 321 stainless steel headers w/ heat
Aftermarket cold air intake airbox
K27HFS turbo (rebuilt by manufacturer less than 800 miles)
Tial 46mm billet aluminum wastegate set at 0.8 bar
All new main and rod bearings
Reconditioned turbo oil pump
Running Mobil 1 vtwin fully synthetic motor oil specially formulated for air-cooled engines. NO OIL LEAKS.

Interior
New Fikse 17 FM-5 wheels w/ black anodized centers and polished rims
Ruf tachometer
Ruf speedometer
VDO boost gauge with telltale
Recaro Pole Position seats
Crow 6-point racing harnesses
Weltmeister harness bar
Momo 3 point leather steering wheel
New Alpine CD player, with ipod input
Alpine amplifier
MBquart door speakers, Klipsch rear deck speakers

Other
New Optima redtop battery
Innovate LM-1 air/fuel sensor installed, connectable to laptop, or gauge
Never wrecked, zero body work (except rain gutter modification), no rust
Front and rear suspension towpoints
Never tracked by current owner (not even auto-crossed)
No door dings
All smog, air injection equipment removed
Original collapsible spare tire
Original tire inflator
Original toolkit and pouch
Original owners and service manuals

Known imperfections:
Air conditioning needs charge (all components in place and functional)
Rear defrost not working
Paint is original and has rock chips and minor scratches, good from 10 feet
1 bubble (dime size) under whale tail in fiberglass
2 bubbles (smaller than dime size) near lower corner of rear windshield (likely due to rain gutter modification)
Dashboard has a wave on passenger side
Steering wheel could use recovering
Rear speakers work, but don't sound great
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

some pictures...

Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

a few more...

Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
What an AMAZING car!
Cannot believe you could even think of selling her after putting so much into her!
I wish you were returning her to stock, so I could have your RUF bits
All of those tastefull extras add up.
Did you ever dyno her?
I guess the only thing more you could do to that engine is EFI?
- Again - an amazing car very 'sorted'
rgds Ben
Current car:
1987 930 RUF BTR clone
Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Very nice car, and nice house also. Somebody is going to get a nice car if you sell it. I say 45k is the for sale number, maybe 50. JMHO
Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
That is a great car. I would speculate $42k-$46 distressed price, $51k-$55k not distressed. Just my guess from what I've seen out there for a sorted out and well equipped car. Good Luck if you sell.

John
Old 07-30-2011, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

beancounter

Nice car for sure. I am especially curious what price you get if you do sell as the build sheet looks very similar to mine. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I think that in the 40s to 50 price range buyers will be looking for near perfection and originality. If I'm proven wrong I would be happy since it would mean I'm less underwater with mine than I thought.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I really do not know why a car like this should be evaluated for value based on factory stock. I think once the buying public drives a car such as this and a bone stock one they should realize that one such as this is worth far more. It's a Darwin like realization thing that actually makes sense me. It's not like it's a car that was restored from a beater and made up willie nillie but a car that was planned to be improved to be more along the lines of the original development that was the basis for the (930 project) turbo Carrera, not just an everyday driver or a seldom driven one which there are so many, not just Porsche cars to choose from. I'd hold out for my original investment ( or more) and hopefully some more of the car affectionado's will get up to speed. Just look at the amount of money being paid for ho hum cars. In the meantime enjoy.

Last edited by voitureltd; 07-30-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
There are 41 930's of all varieties, 1981-1989, nationwide, on the autotrader right now. The highest price is $89,900 and the lowest is $26,500. The average price is $47,307 so the prices posted so far are probably in line with what the market is supporting. They all seem be posted on the web for several weeks so the market is soft as one would predict.

The difficulty with the mods to the average buyer, is that they are not well known. The folks posting on this forum are NOT the average buyer, but well informed enthusiasts. The average buyer will be told by the average mechanic that a 930 is expensive to maintain and the mods could be a car that has been driven hard and put a wet. That is why most people want a stock 930. They will not think to ask or see if the car was modified once upon a time and returned to stock for the sale. This was my mindset before I educated myself on this very forum about the advantages of the various bolt on mods that actually make the engine run better and more reliably.

She is a beautiful car!
Good Luck,

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior

Last edited by 1986 930; 07-30-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

where is the car?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

[

She is a beautiful car!
Good Luck,[/QUOTE]
Yes, it surely is. Beats your grandpaws Oldsmobile or in most cases,whatever.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Maxx as you may remember, we bought our cars within a few months of each other and I knew you were developing your car extensively, I did not realize to this amazing extent \ level (congrats BTW!!). Saddens me that you are selling the car, seeing that I am fairly local to you in Houston now, I was hoping we would get together sometime soon. I hope it goes to a great home and you get a top shelf price.
My best,
Yasin
Old 07-31-2011, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback. Car is in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas.

I sold the Ruf intercooler because I felt that the Kokeln was a better unit. I also sold the Ruf manual boost control as I did not want or need it. Both went to Pelicans. I had no intention of building a Ruf or Yellowbird tribute car, so I kept what I wanted and moved on otherwise. Like many others, I was building MY car, not a car for resale. Even if I had kept those two items, it would be a never ending debate on "not a true Ruf" and I don't think it would enhance the value. What sets the car apart most to me is the lack of gutters and the transmission (which shifts perfectly by the way).

I have yet to dyno the car. Going in for post-build valve adjust in the next 200 miles, and then maybe after that when temps cool down here. Would like to do it in less than 90 degrees ambient...Any guesses?

Fortunately for me, I am not distressed, other than by the mere fact that I am considering selling. My wife, who probably wishes I never bought the car, is shocked that I have even suggested this. I may post it and see if the right buyer comes along. This does remind me of when I was searching for a 930. Geoffrey Ring was selling his 89 Motec car for ~$46k. I recall not liking the paint and thinking that it was someone's bastardized project car...man someone stole that car for half its value. Yasin, you probably remember it well too. For now, I am driving it a couple of times a week when I can bear the heat. Yasin, if you head up this way, be sure to come over.

Last edited by im4duke; 07-31-2011 at 11:22 AM..
Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You just reminded me of Geoffrey's car... I bought my 930 a few months earlier and thought I had gotten a great deal then when he put up his car at that price I almost cried... someone got more than a steal with it.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

You guys are killing me with memories. I bought my beast in late 2004 and was VERY happy until Geoffreys car went up for sale...

Your car is very nice and the right buyer will be thrilled with it. Give it a couple months until the heat subsides and the love affair may begin anew. My car is in Vegas and sucks in the summer, but come October...

Quote:
You just reminded me of Geoffrey's car... I bought my 930 a few months earlier and thought I had gotten a great deal then when he put up his car at that price I almost cried... someone got more than a steal with it.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Geoffrey's 930 that had to be sadly parted out, such an awesome car. I still have pics of it!

Maxx - I will definitely look forward to getting together with you sometime soon!
Cheers.
Yasin
Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

That's right Yasin! He sold off the motor and tranny and and I forgot what else because no one ponied up the cash to buy it. Then he turned it into a NA track car closely based off of the 964 Cup cars. im4duke, have you thought about getting an appraisal and then running it through Barret?

Last edited by E-man930; 07-31-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Your car is indeed interesting. It contains a lot of desirable bits. From a dollar perspective it is a bit of a quandary. The cars that would fetch the most dollars in the Turbo world, would be a factory car, with rare options, or a Ruf serial numbered car that is a true Ruf. I recently bought a 52k mile Turbo with a lot of rare factory options, in the low 40's, and that is top dollar for a non G50 car. A similar factory Ruf car with low miles would fetch in the high 40's. This leads me to believe that although your car is nice for sure, it is neither an unmolested factory Porsche car or an optioned out Ruf car, but something in between, and should fetch in the 35-39K range.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpensivewino View Post
I recently bought a 52k mile Turbo with a lot of rare factory options.
What were the rare factory options on the car you purchased?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
...have you thought about getting an appraisal and then running it through Barret?
No, I have no experience with auctions houses like Barret. Any idea what type of commission/fee they charge?

wino - Thanks for the data point. I expect that buyers looking for low mileage originals or Ruf VIN cars would be less interested in my car, and rightly so. A buyer looking for a reliable driver, with common and proven performance/durability mods that could go straight to the track should look carefully.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: