Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Crappy Porsche design of pulley halfs/shims...is there an update to this mess?

I have never been happy with this erstaz set-up by Porsche on either my 83'SC engine, or my current 86' 930 engine for the fanbelt/half-pulley/shim system.

My turbo has no A/C, and I would love to find a system that connects bottom pulley to cooling fan, that doesn't go wonky after 30-50K miles. Just so tired of dealign with this weak link...

Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You know I have been searching for threads on Pelican and TOS to see if I can find any real world user installs / reviews of a serpantine pulley system and have come up blank. Lot's of threads talking about Clewitt's pulley system and the guy on ebay but no real world feedback. Just folks poking around the internet rehashing the same thing. I would love to find somone that has a 1977-1989 911 / 930 with one of the systems installed, and is willing to share pics (especailly important to me is how the tensioner mounts, what it mounts to, and how it holds tensio). I hate being the guinney pig as it always costs me more money in the end. If I find anything more, I'll post the info here as I could very easily pull my engine cross brace and carrier while supporting the motor and swap out the billet pulley I have on there with one made for a serpantine system.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the old stock fan belt is cheaper, simpler, and alot easier to change than a serpentine belt with a tensioner that wears out... espcially if you're in the middle of nowhere and need a new fan belt.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah but the serpantnie belt should be good for 100K with so little load on it - maybe even more.
And changing the belt out in the middle of nowhere should be much easier with a properly designed serpantine system, pull the tensioner back, swap belts, and release the tensioner. No shims or funny wrenches to mess with. Again, I would like real world feedback from someone who has this sytem installed, no more guess work please.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I changed a heck of alot of serpentine belts on baby six BMW's when I worked as a mechanic.
It also drove the cam on those motors and here in the southern summer heat those needed to be replaced every 50,000 miles or you were going to be replacing a cylinder head when the belt breaks - usually at around 60,000 miles.

The tensioner and waterpump were replaced at the same time as preventative maintenance.

On 911's the "funny wrench" for holding the pulley from turning comes in the origonal tool kits and an inexpensive 24mm box end wrench from sears or harbor freight works better than the heavy 24mm wrench that comes in the toolkit and is offset too far to to fit in between the rear apron and alternator nut on some of the later 930's with the thick clutch pressure plate and deep bellhousing.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So if I understand your post correctly, you are saying you have zero experience running a serpantine fan belt setup on your 930 and are guessing longevity based on your BMW experience which is 180 degrees differet from the application the OP asked about here... Correct?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Blackbird Pilot

Well I just finished the CNC cutting of our first 935 style crank pulley that is 126mm and will work on every 75-89 911, SC or turbo.

It deletes the extra pulley for the A/C and not only is it 695 grams lighter than the stock pulley, but its made to look and feel just like a real 935 pulley!

If you're interested PM me or email reaper@d-zug.us

Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't have any experience with the serpentine system on a 930 or any but I prefer the simple system with the shims. Once the v-belt has stretched a bit from being used it should be a set it and forget it operation. It's simple, has less moving parts, and cheap to fix.

Let's say the front alternator bearing starts to go bad (which happens) and the fan starts to tilt in the fan housing..........

With the shim system I can see the belt starting to slip, relieving tension on the bearing and indicating that there was a problem.

On a tensioner system I can picture the belt constantly trying to tighten itself thus putting more pressure on a failing bearing and causing more damage as it's yanks the fan into the housing at rpm.

just my .02
Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Your 935 style pulley is very nice looking Gabe, nice job on that.

I wouldn't want to go without AC during Florida summers so I need a dual pulley.

Maybe you could also have very helpful accurate 1 degree timing marks up to 50 degrees before Z1 top dead center for checking timing with a timing light like this Supertech pulley.

I know you can get dial back timing lights with one degree increments for checking timing advance without 1 degree marks on the pulley but if you have MSD ignition the multiple sparks below 3000rpms makes some of them go beserk below 3000rpms.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Well for the guys that want to delete AC this is the pulley for them. The reason we didn't go with the degree marks is that most are going with trigger wheels etc. & use the EMS for timing advance etc. so we didn't feel it justified the extra markings etc.

That crank pulley looks pretty cool, but there's just something about the 935 style that gets my blood pumping. BTW the part just went online and we're taking orders! check out D-Zug Produkte, LLC under "Engine"
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: