Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
sunroof does not close fully

My sunroof just started to fail to close last nite. It closes until it reaches the collapsible air deflector and then stops. It seems to be cocking in the passenger side channel at the end of its travel. If I help it close by pushing it along the last inch or so it closes but then the back of the sunroof panel does not raise up again to seal flush with the roof. Now it is down in the back and does not seem to have any assist from the motor to raise again.
Anyone know where I should start to fix this? Is there some sort of adjustment I can make or something that has popped out of alignment?
Any ideas on how this mechanism works is appreciated.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Fred,
I suggest you do a search over on the N/A 911 section. Lot's of articles.. they are notorious for being a POS..
I'm not far behind you!! Mine is ****** up too
T
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi lads,

the sunroof is normally pushed up into closed position by two plastic triangles. They work like ramps. It sounds as if the one on your shotgun's side might be broken. Please take a look into the parts catalogue to understand what triangles I mean if my bloody explanation is not easy to understand.

Kind regards,
Dennis
Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
sounds similar to a problem i had. you can remove the vinyl from the sunroof by gently pulling down on metal subframe and then sliding back towards the rear and inside the cavity of the headliner. there are metal snaps that go around the outside edge, you can then see the mechanism that moves the sunroof back and forth. i am thinking that the arm on one side has had the bolt fall out and it wont engage the roof up to seal it. this is what happened on mine. if you remove the vinyl piece that is attached to the sunroof look for a small nut and bolt and washer there. thats where i found mine on top of the cloth headliner. if you do a search and find a shop manual they should have a descent explanation on how to remove and adjust it. probably better than mine.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
let me be a little clearer on the sub frame that attaches to the sliding roof. the vinyl headliner is stretched around a metal frame and the vinyl and the frame are what unsnaps, i did not want you to peel the vinyl off.
15 Ram Eco Diesel
Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j930 View Post
sounds similar to a problem i had. you can remove the vinyl from the sunroof by gently pulling down on metal subframe and then sliding back towards the rear and inside the cavity of the headliner. there are metal snaps that go around the outside edge, you can then see the mechanism that moves the sunroof back and forth. i am thinking that the arm on one side has had the bolt fall out and it wont engage the roof up to seal it. this is what happened on mine. if you remove the vinyl piece that is attached to the sunroof look for a small nut and bolt and washer there. thats where i found mine on top of the cloth headliner. if you do a search and find a shop manual they should have a descent explanation on how to remove and adjust it. probably better than mine.
+1, an easy fix, the cable is attached on either side with the bolt and nut as mentioned above. The nut is shaped like a D with grooves to keep it from spinning off. Follow the instructions for removal in Wayne's 101 guide and you'll see the problem pretty quickly. If the d nut is lost, a screw top from a spark plug works just fine... Ask me how I know... 2 years and still holding strong...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
thanks guys I will look into waynes book and then see whats going on.
I just got back from a track day at the Glen this weekend and thought it would be nice to drive home with the sunroof open. Now it wont close....thank the turbo gods I made it thru the track day without it failing inspection.
Question on the vinyl headliner.
Can you guys heat that with a blow drier to tighten up the liner, mine sags a little and I would like it nice and tight?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Someone else may have a more experienced answer, but I believe the liner is held taught with clips, sold by our host for cheap, if missing a clip or two it will sag. Another project in the 101 book, but I have yet to replace my liner, you have to remove the rear glass (and possibly front) to do a proper full liner replacement. The sunroof liner is glued to the panel.
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 08-02-2011, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusCassius View Post
Hi lads,

the sunroof is normally pushed up into closed position by two plastic triangles. They work like ramps. It sounds as if the one on your shotgun's side might be broken. Please take a look into the parts catalogue to understand what triangles I mean if my bloody explanation is not easy to understand.

Kind regards,
Dennis
I had one of those two plastic little clips let go recently. Like Dennis notes, they work like little ramps to push the air deflector down, IIRC, and allow the panel to slide shut. To access them, with the sunroof a little bit open, you can actually yank out the headliner (to the sunroof). It's held with little plastic press-fit grommets. If you're gentle you can get them all disengaged without trauma. Start at the leading/forward edge. Once it's off, then you're looking at the underside of the sunroof, where disassembly is fairly straightforward. Just remember what goes where, as there are a myriad of screws and washers.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: 911-564-433-00-M100
Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
thanks guys I will look into waynes book and then see whats going on.
I just got back from a track day at the Glen this weekend and thought it would be nice to drive home with the sunroof open. Now it wont close....thank the turbo gods I made it thru the track day without it failing inspection.
Question on the vinyl headliner.
Can you guys heat that with a blow drier to tighten up the liner, mine sags a little and I would like it nice and tight?
I should have been more specific and meant the headliner on the sunroof portion sags. The rest of the headliner is tight thruought the car.
I was wondering if the little sunroof section of vinyl could be shrunk by heating it with a blow drier?
Mine only seems to be held to the sunroof along the edges.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: