Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fuel smell while driving

And stopped. Any ideas? Seams to be coming from the engine compartment. Don't see any leaks.
Thanks for any help.
Cheers
jack

Old 08-01-2011, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Most often it's a ruptured diaphram inside the WUR. It will vent raw fuel into the air cleaner housing via a hose connected there. Your symptoms (fuel stink, and engine stopping) would support this diagnosis.
But of course, could be something else entirely (that's my disclaimer).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Mark, I guess that could explain the low idle on cold start. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIDog View Post
Hey Mark, I guess that could explain the low idle on cold start. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks
You didn't mention cold idle at start...but did mention that she stopped running altogether. Cold idle at startup is usually not so drastic a problem as a ruptured diaphram...which will cause havoc on all fueling areas.
Check it out, let us know what you find. Could be just a leak somewhere else. Our tendency is to focus on the worse case scenario and quite often it's something pretty simple.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Mark,
You must be confusing me with someone else. Mine doesn't quite. Just low idle on cold start, once warms up idle is good, & fuel smell.

Thanks for your help.
jack
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Had a pin-hole leak in the fuel line/back left side by the fuel filter..Difficult to locate. I positioned my car for the sun can go directly into the engine compartment.
A fine mist was shooting out..Very easy for the eyes.

Walt
Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIDog View Post
Hi Mark,
You must be confusing me with someone else. Mine doesn't quite. Just low idle on cold start, once warms up idle is good, & fuel smell.

Thanks for your help.
jack
Oops. Sorry Jack, when you said "And stopped. Any ideas?" I thought you meant the engine stopped running.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Had a similar issue, the nuts holding the intake man were all loose, check them all on both sides.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
I had a similar issue, was just a slightly loose injector
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

check vent hoses in the front
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks you guys, I will check all those tips. Slyguy you might be on to something, as it does seam to be worse after I fill up.
Will keep you all posted.
Cheers
jack
Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Jack, lemme know what you find, I actually have the same issue mostly if I really top it off. All of my heating/defrost is not fully in place, couple of the seals/surrounds need attention so Im sure theres a little pressure eq thats off.
Tom
Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

There's a round cork gasket under the fuel level sending unit in the top of the tank. It doesn't last forever and will leak fuel when the tank is filled up if it's done working there.

Also the rubber hose that connects the gas tank to the fill pipe dries out after 20+ years and may leak when the tank is filled along with the vent line and plastic expansion tank above the windsheild washer tank in the left front fender.

If you decide to remove the fuel tank to clean and restore it there is a foam rubber gasket that goes between it and the suspension pan. Replace it.
It can soak up water and rust the edges of the gas tank after 20years.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Well had a look around, & seams to be coming from under the hood up front. Can't see any leaks yet, & everything looks good. But can definitely smell it the most up there. Will check the cork gasket, might be it.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: