Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

would you believe...

First, thanks to Kevin@ultimate for a free flowing and never ending supply of valuable information, insights and random but pertinent turbo stories.

Not too far back had UNW rebuild my HiFlow after coked oil damage and finally got around to the install last evening. I followed the very specific install and run instructions (prime the scavenge pump, oil into the brand new fill tube and crank the engine to get the oil moving without starting.) Idle the car in the drive, no smoke and no leaks. Car into the street, no boost, low rpm and after a stop sign of two I hear a noise sounds like a bottle rocket whistle (before it explodes). Just once. Seemed to be running fine but now I'm a little gun shy so I turn around and park it, prob 5 miles total. Talk to Kevin and discuss possible failure points etc., nothing sounds good at this pointso pack up and call it a night. Pull it apart this am, shaft turns fine, spins freely with a very small amount of axial play. Pull the oil feed and the oil is strangely under pressure when I loosen the fitting, hmmm... Pull the turbo and pull the brand new factory oil feed (it still has oil in it), unbelievably the hole for the feed isnt punched out of the gasket which arrived attached to the oil inlet. Who would've thought, especially since the mount holes were punched. The turbo had actually run on nothing but Kevin's assembly lube. Nothing to do at this point but to put it all back together although I was emotionally preparing myself for leaking oil, lots of smoke and another trip back to the rebuild shop... Turned the key, fired the engine and remarkably not a drop of oil of a puff of smoke was to be seen anywhere, all on assembly lube...

Last edited by slyguy; 08-03-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

wow - glad you parked it quick. I have bought aluminum AN line adaptors and fittings before that were not drilled all the way through, always double check everything.

Last edited by E-man930; 08-03-2011 at 06:34 PM..
Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

amazing... totally amazing!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Pull the turbo and pull the brand new factory oil feed (it still has oil in it), unbelievably the hole for the feed isnt punched out of the gasket which arrived attached to the oil inlet.
Dam you have to check everything these days! Well at least we know these turbos can take a little beating. I bet it will be fine since you didn't go boost.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I'm betting it's toast not too long down the road.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Thats alright I've gone about a 1000 mile with no fluid in my transmission.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
I'm betting it's toast not too long down the road.
yeah, prob cut the life in half, prob put .002 wear into it (about half of spec) in pretty short order. it'll be going back to Kevin when the snow flies for seals if nothing else, lot better than 2k for a new one any way you look at it
Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

And I thought I was having a bad week.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
If the gasket wasn't punched and oil couldn't flow how did you prime the turbo?
I use a plastic bottle to catch and measure the oil flow out the bottom when priming turbos.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
If the gasket wasn't punched and oil couldn't flow how did you prime the turbo?
I use a plastic bottle to catch and measure the oil flow out the bottom when priming turbos.

Great idea. I've seen hundreds of turbos starved in the install phase and all had bearing damage. That was the noise you heard........sorry. You will be an extremely lucky man to get by on this one.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The 2 journal bearings on the shaft are designed to swim or float in a bath of constantly replenished oil. There is an oil clearance between the ID of the bearings and the shaft and OD of the bearings and the bearing housing and with no oil bath around them they won't be submerged and swimming in oil and there will be metal to metal contact.

edit: I forgot to mention the 2 shaft bearings rotate inside the bearing housing at about 1/2 shaft speed because of the inner and outer oil clearances while swimming in the oil flow around them. With the oil supply blocked off that can't happen and they would be damaged or worn.

This oil clearance is why there is always some lateral or sideways shaft play in a journal bearing turbo and there is no such thing as "zero clearance" in a journal bearing turbocharger because it's impossible... a ball bearing turbo could use that marketing term.
The thrust bearing the compressor wheel pushes against also needs a steady supply of oil.

If you ran the motor with no oil supply to the turbo the shaft bearings can't be floating in oil and were running without ample lubrication and they have been compromised.

Have a 360 degree thrust bearing installed when you have it rebuilt again. The UMW HFS turbo I have had a 270 degree thrust bearing in it and a worn out eroded bearing housing. I had it rebuilt by Durabilt Turbo the last time and there is no break in period with a Durbilt turbo. There's no reason for it when proper sized oil clearance origonal KKK parts are installed and they tell you that.

Last edited by JFairman; 08-04-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: