Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
fuel accumulator....big vs. small

been developing a weird problem with starting...

if i go out and start the car, takes about 10-15 seconds to idle correctly, like its starving for fuel...no pressure? i am assuming or not building quick enough...

and then the car runs great...

if i turn the key just enough to kick the pumps on for about 10 seconds, the car starts right up no problems...

no sure if this is normal, a couple guys have told me its the accumulator...

i see two on pelican and have read alot of threads about the big one vs. small one

1. Pelican Parts - Product Information: 911-110-197-01-M14

2. Pelican Parts - Product Information: 911-110-197-02-M14

my car is a 1980 930 euro 3.3 ....there is about a 160$ difference, can someone tell me if there is a difference in pressures? or what the exact difference is, or what one i really need?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
anyone?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've read that some people have had no difference with the small accum over the larger accum.

Also, I just bought an new 930 accumulator (larger one) on ebay for ~ $180. Keep on eye out. You may find another.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmendo View Post
I've read that some people have had no difference with the small accum over the larger accum.

Also, I just bought an new 930 accumulator (larger one) on ebay for ~ $180. Keep on eye out. You may find another.
do you have a link to the one you got?

and yes i have read that people have had no problems, but all had 3.0 US spec motors...i didnt know if my euro 3.3 was any different,...sorry if this is a dump question
Old 08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

sounds like you are losing pressure when the car sits. I know a lot of CIS VW and Audi's would have this happen with a leaking cold start valve or injector.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
sounds like you are losing pressure when the car sits. I know a lot of CIS VW and Audi's would have this happen with a leaking cold start valve or injector.
my first thought was the cold start valve, but after talking to two guys at a meet, they are saying accumulator...who knows,..figured accumulator is cheaper and easier to replace...id start there
Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
I just installed the smaller one in my car and it had a larger one.
Works fine. No difference. 89 930
Old 08-04-2011, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I accidentally ordered and installed the cheaper one about 4 years ago. No problems at all.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Still haven't answered the original question, other than testimony that the small ones seem to work fine. What happens to your AFR's when on full boost and the small ones can't flow the fuel? Huh>>>>>...just a thought, based on nothing. There has to be a reason why different years and different engine displacements require different accumulators.

So, let's disect this thing (disclaimer: I am NOT an automotive engineer but have a warped and admittedly twisted anal logical thinking mind, which has been my downfall more often that I care to admit).
What...the accumulator's function is to "accumulate" a certain quantity of fuel and hold it at a pressure over time to facilitate starting so you're not starving your injectors while waiting for the pumps to prime the lines. Provided your injectors don't slowly leak down, then all is well as you have this great reservoir of fuel on-demand.

Smaller reservoir = less volume of fuel being held in reserves at said pressure. Could be that the 3.0 liter engine's injectors flow less fuel, thus the need for a larger reserve isn't necessary...thus the smaller accumulator, vs. a 3.3 liter engine. The difference might not be noticeable if using the smaller accumulator on a larger engine, other than maybe a couple seconds of stumble once she fires up because the "reservoir" has run dry before the pumps can compensate.

Ya dig? (oops, dating my self again)
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 08-04-2011 at 06:24 PM..
Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Still haven't answered the original question, other than testimony that the small ones seem to work fine. What happens to your AFR's when on full boost and the small ones can't flow the fuel? Huh>>>>>...just a thought, based on nothing. There has to be a reason why different years and different engine displacements require different accumulators.
True, and I'd like to know the answer.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Mark expressed my exact thoughts after I replaced mine (77) with a smaller one.

I started to experience residual leak down and hot start issues. After replacement (larger one appears to have been superceded by the small one?) car now starts fine for hot starts....BUT I could swear I'm feeling a slight miss or hesitation under load and I'm concerned about the A/F ratio after the change.

Fuel acumulator?

I'm hoping someone can chime in with actual measurements.

Tinker
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: